PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM v1.9 | Eclair | *Updated | 7/23/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
mighty cool of you Ken. sometimes kinda miss that little diamond. buddy at work just got the htc aria and man it reminds me of the diamond. really small. I think us former Diamonders should be required to go back one last time to flash the final OMJ Diamond rom Oh shoot, I actually traded it in for the Evo..forget that. LOL.
thanks, I think I've lost half my knowledge on WM, lol....havent touched it in a couple months.

going back to Diamond really makes u appreciate the EVO.....the screen is sooooo damn small, lol.

I sure luv my EVO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerj View Post
Ok I am getting frustrated. I am trying to get this rom on my evo and I am not having any luck. I have done searches on google on how to install/flash custom roms on the evo. Most results show up as how to root the evo. I have rooted the phone. I know this by the pound sign "#" when I type "su" in the adb-windows shell. when I try to follow the steps someone has on a thread I do not have "Flash zip from sdcard" listed on my recovery menu. I have tried ever thing I can think of. I am coming over from the windows mobile side so I have been flashing for a while now, but this android OS is kicking my but.

when i purchased the phone I already had version 1.47.651.1 on the phone. I used the OTA simple root to root my phone. I was all automated from my pc to the phone I did not have to type anything in on the pc or the phone.

Could someone point me in the right direction to flash to a rom on my EVO. I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks...tannerj
which root method did u use? anyone know if u can even get full root from stock 1.47.651.1?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO-Zone
Carrier: Sprint 4G

Vegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Ok I am getting frustrated. Most results show up as how to root the evo. I have rooted the phone. I know this by the pound sign "#" when I type "su" in the adb-windows shell.

Could someone point me in the right direction to flash to a rom on my EVO. I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks...tannerj
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
t
anyone know if u can even get full root from stock 1.47.651.1?
TannerJ: It sounds like you missed one step in Simple Root....flashing a recovery.
After you did the simple root process you were supposed to:
Quote:
Click the Extras Menu and select Flash recovery. Then select the Recovery of your choice.
Try this: Go to Market and download Rom Manager. After you install, open the program and at the top you'll see "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Press that to execute and wait until it's done.

Now, right under that line is one that says "Reboot into Recovery". See if you can now get into recovery and have the ability to flash a zip from the SD Card.

You also see in Rom Manager, the ability to download a new ROM and flash it right from ROM Manager. It's handy.

OMJ: I have read it doesn't matter whether you have a shipped 1.47 or OTA 1.47....Simple Root will use the same exploit.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Tannerj is becoming a great contributor

[QUOTE=OMJ;

which root method did u use? anyone know if u can even get full root from stock 1.47.651.1?[/QUOTE]

OMJ,

Ok I am a noob when it comes to android so I apologize if I sound stupid, but I was under the impression that OTA was the 1.47.651.1 version. I am so confused now. also it was program that I downloaded and now I am at work so I cannot remember were I got it from. but it is a program that all you have to do is click on 4 different buttons and it roots your phone for you. I remember the website talked about a new version which is the 1 I downloaded and it worked. I get the pound sign (#) when I type the su command through adb or adb-windows.

Also if you don't think I am able to upgrade with this version what is OTA and what are you talking about on the 1 posted when you explain "*** If you have not flashed v1.7 w/ the OTA updates (ROM1) or equivalent, you must flash it 1st!!" I have not done this yet, but again I thought I already have the OTA updates..

Please help I am trying to learn, but it is not as easy as I thought it would be... sorry I am such an idiot when it comes to android OS.

thanks again... Jarrod
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

jelive is keeping up the good workjelive is keeping up the good work

OK this is weird...

Had OMJ 1.7 with everything great, especially battery life. Did the following:
Flashed OMJ 1.8d
Flashed Netarchy 3.75 kernal
Added Aloysius Theme
No other changes to settings, programs, etc.

Overnight had battery drop (not on charger) way over normal and showed awake time and uptime the same. Obviously something is not letting it sleep properly. Did the HTC-Sprint recommended battery life steps again but still getting quick battery drops and awake-uptime showing same. Can of course go back to OMJ 1.7 and then add changes one at a time checking battery at each step but first want to see if anyone else notes this odd battery behavior after a kernal or theme change?

Thanks....Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Vegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuffVegasden knows their stuff

Quote:
Please help I am trying to learn, but it is not as easy as I thought it would be... sorry I am such an idiot when it comes to android OS.

thanks again... Jarrod
Tanner...don't worry, we all had to learn.

You flashed using "Simple Root". A lot of us did. As I said, you missed having to flash a Recovery after you obtained root.

First off, read my post right above: Download Rom Manager and "Flash Clockwork Recovery". That should open the door to let you flash away.

Use 1.7 with OTA's as Simple Root takes you back before the OTA's.. After you flash the recovery, flash the 1.7 w/OTA's then pick whichever ROM you like (1.9 version) and flash away.

Last edited by Vegasden; 07-29-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Corrected my dumb error
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
OMJ,

Ok I am a noob when it comes to android so I apologize if I sound stupid, but I was under the impression that OTA was the 1.47.651.1 version. I am so confused now. also it was program that I downloaded and now I am at work so I cannot remember were I got it from. but it is a program that all you have to do is click on 4 different buttons and it roots your phone for you. I remember the website talked about a new version which is the 1 I downloaded and it worked. I get the pound sign (#) when I type the su command through adb or adb-windows.

Also if you don't think I am able to upgrade with this version what is OTA and what are you talking about on the 1 posted when you explain "*** If you have not flashed v1.7 w/ the OTA updates (ROM1) or equivalent, you must flash it 1st!!" I have not done this yet, but again I thought I already have the OTA updates..

thanks again... Jarrod
When you use Simple root it knocks you BACK from 1.47 to 1.17. You do need to get updated to the latest OTA. You may have missed a step as Vegasden suggests. Simple root SHOULD have set you up with the correct Recovery image. Read Vegasdens (about ROM Manager) and Zone23s posts and you should be all set.

@jelive-My guess is the kernal, flash the stock one (linked in netarchys thread) and see if it helps. The theme SHOULDN'T effect batt life as its cosmetic changes. I'm on a similar set up and my vary appears ok.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
When you use Simple root it knocks you BACK from 1.47 to 1.17. You do need to get updated to the latest OTA. You may have missed a step as Vegasden suggests.
iknow: thanks for catching my error about Simple stepping you back. I corrected my post. (too early, not enough coffee)
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

johntiger is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to johntiger

Ok so I have:
  • OMJ_EVO_2.1_Eclair_v1.6
  • Firmwar version 2.1-update1
  • Baseband version 2.05.00.06.10
  • Kernel version 2.6.29-789bf291
  • Build number 1.47.651.1
  • Software number 1.47.651.1 OMJ v1.6
  • PRI Version 1.34_003
  • PRL Version 60667
All I really wanted to know is there any advantage to me upgrading to the newer ROM version. I've pretty much got everything set. I've backed up with Titanium Backup I've also backed up with ROM manager. So I'm guessing if I didn't like it I could just go back. I don't think I need to go through the whole process of flashing 1.7 and flashing the recovery because I have the newest Radio and WiMax. Anyone have any ideas for me.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntiger View Post
Ok so I have:
  • OMJ_EVO_2.1_Eclair_v1.6
  • Firmwar version 2.1-update1
  • Baseband version 2.05.00.06.10
  • Kernel version 2.6.29-789bf291
  • Build number 1.47.651.1
  • Software number 1.47.651.1 OMJ v1.6
  • PRI Version 1.34_003
  • PRL Version 60667
All I really wanted to know is there any advantage to me upgrading to the newer ROM version. I've pretty much got everything set. I've backed up with Titanium Backup I've also backed up with ROM manager. So I'm guessing if I didn't like it I could just go back. I don't think I need to go through the whole process of flashing 1.7 and flashing the recovery because I have the newest Radio and WiMax. Anyone have any ideas for me.
While you have the latest radio and wimax, you sig says 4G is 'broken'. If you didn't do whitslacks update from xda then you didn't get the FULL OTA update-its more than radio and wimax.
You should do 1.7 ROM1 then the version of your choice.
Oh and update your PRL you're one version behind

EDIT:Once updated correctly you could see faster 3G, wifi, 4G , better batt life and a grounded screen.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-29-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Tannerj is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasden View Post
Tanner...don't worry, we all had to learn.

You flashed using "Simple Root". A lot of us did. As I said, you missed having to flash a Recovery after you obtained root.

First off, read my post right above: Download Rom Manager and "Flash Clockwork Recovery". That should open the door to let you flash away.

Use 1.7 with OTA's as Simple Root takes you back before the OTA's.. After you flash the recovery, flash the 1.7 w/OTA's then pick whichever ROM you like (1.9 version) and flash away.
Vegasden,

I have tried to download (market) rom manager times however every time I do when I run it and select anything on there it ask me to confirm my phone model I select HTC Evo (CMDA) (only 1 there to select) the next message keeps telling me "An error occured while attempting to run privileged command". it does nothing after that.

Iknowsquat,

I just figured that part out. so now my question is what do i need to do now. Am I fully rooted or do I need to start as if I never had 1.47.651.1 and start from scratch or do I skip to the eng-pc36Img.zip part of the rooting steps?

thanks... Tannerj
thanks for your help.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development