PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |RHODCMDA|.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- Energy -.¸¸.·´¯ * |Sep 8| 21916|24634 * Sense 2018

After making many of my own roms, to save my relationship LOL I decided to take a break and try out new roms. I keep reading about battery life issues. I understand the concern but beyond always being hooked up to a charger/usb port or buying multiple spares for under 10$ on amazon (wich work on the wifes evo too) i cant help to wonder why this is even an issue? Being an avid hunter (bored hunter lol) i appreciate the the extra batteries when there is no power sources. Just curious not try to start any riffs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
After making many of my own roms, to save my relationship LOL I decided to take a break and try out new roms. I keep reading about battery life issues. I understand the concern but beyond always being hooked up to a charger/usb port or buying multiple spares for under 10$ on amazon (wich work on the wifes evo too) i cant help to wonder why this is even an issue? Being an avid hunter (bored hunter lol) i appreciate the the extra batteries when there is no power sources. Just curious not try to start any riffs.
Yup, thats what I did and ended up getting just over 56 hours of use off one battery. I bought the extended (normal size) TP/EVO/Incrdible battery which is 1800mAh vs our battery which is 1300mAh. I got two and a pocket charger for 24.99 from Amazon. There IS a significant difference between the amazon batteries and the OEM one.

However, the point of my post on the last page was that at home and the surrounding area I live in, I get a marginal signal at best (I also have one of the NEW Airvana Airave femtocells that does 3G - the samsung does not) and that made a bit of a difference, however, last week I was out of town and had nearly perfect coverage and was pulling 2.5 days on a charge consistently. Even my wife noticed it on her regular phone that her battery was doing better. One thing I noticed though since I'm back home is that my screen turns on by itself a lot. Didn't do that in Charleston at all. It has nothing to do with the ROM, rather it is becasue the phone is switching between the signal it picks up randomly from a tower and then back to my Airave. I can duplicate it 100% by walking out to my street and then back into my driveway and it will do it at almost (within 2 feet) the same spot every time. The constant turning on and off of the screen WILL drain the battery faster.

So why then do we get less battery life and some get worse than others? Well, like I mentioned (see my Faqs post in my sig line) things like eye candy also affect how our custom ROM's perform. Look at a stock rom...pretty plain, right? Thats one of the reasons you get better battery life out of a stock ROM. change to CHT and Dinik and you get LOTS of eye candy which pushes the phone harder. Its a tradeoof and the small price we pay to have "better" looking and functioning phones - the way they SHOULD have been in the first place.

I personally like the "darker" roms because that doesn't take as much of a toll on the processing. Not sure about the GTX, but it seems like all that "white stuff" would make the battery drain faster. Just my opinion as I have not tried a GTX flavor.

Another consideration is that the ROM's we are using are not specifically designed (from the core) for our phones so there is a bit of a tradeoff there as well. NRG and many of the other chefs have done a fantastic job of making them work and kudos to them for doing so. Without them, I'd be having some seriouse phone envy for my daughters Droid Incredible. (which, BTW, gets crappy battery life too)

Overall, I've been VERY happy with the Sept 4 24xxx CHT build, but, since I'm back home now and bored, I may flash to the 9/8 CHT and give it a go.

But yes, the batteries (particularly if you are talking about the same ones I posted about, DO make a difference)

So, I'm glad someone else is trying them too and I'm interested in your long term use experiences.

David
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 (CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint

auTONYmous is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiDame View Post
Just reportin in before I take it in for the night.. Im at the 40hr mark and I still have 50% battery left in a VERY POOR signal area. Before it seems like Im bragging I will admit I did NOT talk on the phone at all today. Just about 100 emails received, none sent and about 100 txts, sent and received. I want to see how long this battery will actually go. Even tho I barely used this phone today, I am very impressed!!
I'm getting similar results on the Sept. 8 GTX ROM. One thing I did was I put the Sprint 2.32WF Radio back on during a Task29 (I was previously using a USC radio), and after flashing, XDA_UC, I let the phone settle for a few hours and fully charge before I started using it.

F-IN ROCK SOLID. NOT ONE CRASH YET, NOTHING HANGS, and battery gets me an average of 2 full days between charges even with my normal use.

Oh, and didn't NRGZ mention it was fast? He was right. I forgot I DIDN'T overclock this time. Didn't need to...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Sprint

quickstang is keeping up the good workquickstang is keeping up the good work

so here is my morning report after my battery was 75% at 10:50pm 25% at 8am, took a pic & sent an MMS & it went to 21%. so now its charging at work.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6875
Carrier: tele

donray is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: |RHODCMDA|.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- Energy -.¸¸.·´¯ * |Sep 8| 21916|24634 * Sense 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey5036 View Post
No radio is included in any of the packages.
thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to DatBoiDame Send a message via MSN to DatBoiDame Send a message via Yahoo to DatBoiDame Send a message via Skype™ to DatBoiDame

Quote:
Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
I'm getting similar results on the Sept. 8 GTX ROM. One thing I did was I put the Sprint 2.32WF Radio back on during a Task29 (I was previously using a USC radio), and after flashing, XDA_UC, I let the phone settle for a few hours and fully charge before I started using it.

F-IN ROCK SOLID. NOT ONE CRASH YET, NOTHING HANGS, and battery gets me an average of 2 full days between charges even with my normal use.

Oh, and didn't NRGZ mention it was fast? He was right. I forgot I DIDN'T overclock this time. Didn't need to...
Exactly man, at the least I get 40 hours without any battery saving cabs but Im surprised ur gettin that battery life out of the new ROM!! lol EnergyROM will always be fast since thats one of his main goals when he's in the kitchen
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to DatBoiDame Send a message via MSN to DatBoiDame Send a message via Yahoo to DatBoiDame Send a message via Skype™ to DatBoiDame

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
so here is my morning report after my battery was 75% at 10:50pm 25% at 8am, took a pic & sent an MMS & it went to 21%. so now its charging at work.
Something must have been running in the background to lose 50% battery overnight
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Unlimited is um, limited

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community

Hmmmm...

May have jinxed myself today. Was bored and tires of cleaning windows...the glass kind...so I thought I'd give 09-08 24xxx CHT a try.

weeelllll. I installed all of my usual cabs manually as always and in the usual order that I install them and I've had two SOD's so far in the last 30 mins. Thats a first for me since early July.

So far one of the SOD's was a black screen variant and the power button would not work so I had to soft reset. The second one was a screen freeze while I was trying to get to my email folder through sense.

The third - yep, a third one now - was another screen freeze but rotation would work. Just couldn't navigate to any other screens.

Other observations.

I think one of the big differences between this rom and the 09-04 was the "finger friendliness" of 09-04. It seemed that the scrollbars were a little wider and the "kinetic" was a bit more responsive.

But, living life on the edge, I have to give this one a chance before I flash back to 09-04 so I'll see how things settle in for the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow. Will report back with some more findings.

now...off to clean some windows...

David
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
lbcary

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Hmmmm...

May have jinxed myself today. Was bored and tires of cleaning windows...the glass kind...so I thought I'd give 09-08 24xxx CHT a try.

weeelllll. I installed all of my usual cabs manually as always and in the usual order that I install them and I've had two SOD's so far in the last 30 mins. Thats a first for me since early July.

So far one of the SOD's was a black screen variant and the power button would not work so I had to soft reset. The second one was a screen freeze while I was trying to get to my email folder through sense.

The third - yep, a third one now - was another screen freeze but rotation would work. Just couldn't navigate to any other screens.

Other observations.

I think one of the big differences between this rom and the 09-04 was the "finger friendliness" of 09-04. It seemed that the scrollbars were a little wider and the "kinetic" was a bit more responsive.

But, living life on the edge, I have to give this one a chance before I flash back to 09-04 so I'll see how things settle in for the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow. Will report back with some more findings.

now...off to clean some windows...

David
I liked the Sept 4 CHT Dinik Glass 24XXX rom release better than the Sept 8th. I havent noticed any better graphics yet,which was supposed to be the best improvement for the Dinik Glass roms for the Sept 8 release and i always have a problem with screen freezing or SOD issues until i go into total commander/my device/start up/ and delete Arkswitch,then i go into the programs launcher and delete Arkswitch,then into start menu/programs/and delete Arkswitch,and then anywhere else i can find and delete Arcswitch i do.But usually if u just go into start up/and delete arkswitch it helps alot. Also go into your storage card and enter the folder Applications/then delete the empty looking HTC folder.But make sure your not deleting the HTC folder on your device,only the one in your storage card.
Ive tried the sept 8 release since Sept 9 and im waiting for NRGZ next release then im going to try it and if i dont like it as much as the sept 4 release,which is my favorite so far,im flashing back to sept 4 24XXX CHT Dinik Glass rom because it was more stable and also had the link to rom fixes included,which was left out of the Sept 8 release.But im going to stick it out with the Sept 8 release until NRGZ next release and if its not a rather noticeable difference then back to Sept 4.
On a side note i personally dont like Arkswitch.It has given me issues and caused problems for me on many different roms.I wish NRG would try a different task mngr like the mmtask manager, or xtask,or any other task manager.Id like a different task manager and see if memory or stability increases.Just a thought.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Unlimited is um, limited

@lbcary

Thanks for the info. The HTC folder was fixed a while back (had to do with the documents tab that has since been removed by NRG), however, I was not aware of an issue with arkswitch, so I will follow your advice and give it a try. I'll post back with what happens.
So far, since my last post, I've had several more SOD's resulting in soft resets, so I'll try that before I pass final judgement on it.
I'm also not ruling out a bad flash so I may wipe it, redownload the rom again and then reflash.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

David

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development