PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalynOne View Post
Actually I was more interested in using PDANet's SMS gateway features to recieves
SMS from the computer.
Hrm... I just use Google Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalynOne View Post
Which wifi package did you install for wifi tethering?
Check out Stinebd's post over at XDA. The rootfs/kernel parts he's talking about should be no problem (as in you don't need to download anything special that he lists other than the .apk file). Although I haven't tried this in a while... I don't even think I've tried it on froyo. Guess I should give it a shot...

It does indeed work! For some reason I had to turn on wifi in the settings, and then go back to the program before I could see the network... but it's working, I'm editing this post on my lappy using the AndroidTether network

Last edited by arrrghhh; 08-01-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

chrialex is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
That's a very good point chrialex, and makes a lot of sense. I'm impressed that it actually reduces the wait/fc's you're getting.... that's awesome!

Y'know, I'm not even sure what class card I'm running. Just checked, and my 8gb card is class 4. I'm betting my older card is class 2... Huh. Well, if I do need another card I'll be sure to get a higher class than 4!
The classes refer to their read/write speeds, so the higher the class, the faster they process and the less the system will have to wait. I rarely have a force close on my class 6, and when I do, it is usually because I have a bunch of stuff running while trying to sync something and starting something that takes a lot of resources. A simple restart fixes it.

EDIT: The Official SD card standard formatting tool, they say that others (like people mention here and at xda) don't comply with the SD Standard and don't deliver optimum performance.
I haven't tested but it couldn't hurt. They have more info on the different cards there as well.
If you can afford a Class 10, go for it, they have a higher speed bus compared to the 'normal' speeds the others have, they can therefore record full HD video/etc...
* Class 2 : 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s): H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
* Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s): MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, DSC consecutive shooting
* Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s): Mega-pixel DSC consecutive shooting, professional video camera
* Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s): Full HD video recording, HD still consecutive shooting

One thing to watch is use the standard class rating, with a C around the number more than the manufacturer's rating. The 'class' system was supposed to standardize everything for consumers, but they do have their own ratings sometimes as well: http://www.reghardware.com/2007/03/0...es_sdhc_cards/

Also, read THIS for more info (if you trust anything that is on Wikipedia, couldn't find the PDF I have from Cisco that says the same thing)

Last edited by chrialex; 08-01-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added Class Speed Info.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrialex View Post
The classes...
Wow... Very nice post. I did know that the higher the class = higher the speed, but of course I hadn't looked up a breakdown like that yet. You definitely went deeper than I would have, thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Flashed to cricket)
Carrier: cricKet

whitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris812 View Post
Any luck on getting XD to take MNC changes? Please PM me if so.. Trying to get a sprint tp onto cricket useing XDandroid.. no luck
It will take more than a MNC change for Android to run on a cricket TP. Take some time and read through the different tutorial on flashing Android to cricket on different forums and you'll see there are certain files required for it. u2nl, autostart.apk, autostart.sh, wifi tehter, etc. To truely get it running right. Or to bypass all that you can use a broadband number and do the broadband work around.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Here's a downside to reading on Tapatalk instead of my computer -- I forget to read the thread on the computer, and then I stop responding.

I guess it helps not having much to say, and not wanting to get involved in flamewars. Regarding the booting issues on RAPH500 when RAM is scarce in WinMo... it's interesting, but I guess it's not as surprising as it'd appear at first blush. (I haven't yet tried to replicate it -- I'm low on SD cards at the moment so I grabbed the one out of the raph500... and an unactivated phone is only so interesting.) Anyway, not only does the VZW TP have less RAM than Sprint... on top of that, only 2/3 of the RAM in it is addressable from the current kernel. So instead of 288mb, there's 128. That hurts. (Completely unfounded theorizing follows...) I'd imagine the failure to boot has to do with something sitting in that unaddressable space when the handover to linux happens.

I'd want something a little more concrete before saying that the state of memory when booting into Android actually affects performance once Android is loaded. It certainly shouldn't, as WinMo is actually being replaced in RAM. I promise. Then again, there are plenty of weird little traces left, and maybe some unexpected bug is getting in the way. I wouldn't totally rule it out, but my hunch is that confirmation bias is playing a big role.

On another note, I use the built-in power control widget to toggle wifi, and it does all I need. I've used other toggle widgets, and they don't seem to provide any further functionality.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700

tdcrone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
I wouldn't totally rule it out, but my hunch is that confirmation bias is playing a big role.
To be honest, my first thought there was that the project has come a long way very quickly. If the build wasn't exactly the same between the first and the second trial then the operational characteristics - especially between 2.1 and 2.2, for example - would be quite different.

I'm on a Raph800, but saw no difference moving from Mighty Mike's 6.5 to Sprint 6.1 stock. I have since installed the MS 6.5 bluetooth stack on 6.1, and while that doesn't seem to have any effect I could conceive of different drivers causing different things to be enabled/disabled/low power/etc. on initialization.

Since I come from a hardware background I was thinking the hanging poster might have some bad RAM that is only addressed at the high end, this was a problem in my old Treo that I could only expose with Chattermail. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to prove to the clerk at the store for insurance, since after they reset the phone the problem goes away for a few days. Hopefully for his sake it turns out to be the addressable memory space, which is a happy coincident number.

Quote:
On another note, I use the built-in power control widget to toggle wifi, and it does all I need. I've used other toggle widgets, and they don't seem to provide any further functionality.
There is a 1x1 widget somewhere, so that's a little advantage if you have a bunch of stuff on the home screens. I will admit that since the last refresh of my build I haven't bothered to go back to market to find it again.

Quote:
> Something about 3D:
I had tried a game from the market, something like Jumpy Ball 3D or the like (searched "3D"). Prior to the 3D drivers, it was very skippy. After the 3D drivers, it was perfectly pleasant and really stupid, plus the forward/back axis was reversed, so I deleted it. It was a nice quick test of the 3D drivers since I got to see it work, and not work, based on the state of the drivers in Android.

Since 2.2 has gotten pretty stable I haven't had any issues running 3D things from the market - in fact almost no performance issues at all, except some of the stuff designed for Evo etc.

As always, I feel obliged to say you guys are doing an amazing job.

Thanks!
-Tim
XDAndroid RC2.whatever

Last edited by tdcrone; 08-02-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Insert carriage returns
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM
cxi
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

cxi is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I'd imagine the failure to boot has to do with something sitting in that unaddressable space when the handover to linux happens.
One of the common themes in RAPH500 ROM flashing has been to hard reset before AND after putting a new ROM on. That might be related to the left over junk and it could be related to the fact that putting a new ROM on fixes things in Android. If the ROM in question does a better job of overwriting all memory maybe it cleans up better and it's not necessarily the change in the RAM in use that helped? As I pointed out earlier, I can boot with nearly all RAM in use on my Verizon RAPH500, as expected since HARET is doing a kernel swap. I can barely run a second program in WinMo with the ROM I have, I have to run things one at a time, so I'm sure I'm pretty taxed when it comes to RAM! Android runs fairly slow after it fully boots. I sometimes have to wait 5-10 seconds for it to catch up, but then it'll run ok for a while. Is that normal on this device?

Quote:
So, I'm a little lost on this one. When I boot Android my WiFi shows as disabled. Is this thread basically saying the phone is lying to me and it's actually on? Do I need to toggle it "on" then "off" again to get it to really be off?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxi View Post
So, I'm a little lost on this one. When I boot Android my WiFi shows as disabled. Is this thread basically saying the phone is lying to me and it's actually on? Do I need to toggle it "on" then "off" again to get it to really be off?
No, at least I don't think so... I've never had that happen at least . I think he's saying that there's seemingly no advantage to using an "aftermarket" app to toggle wifi. The built-in widget is just fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

That is, indeed, what I'm saying. Wifi being off means wifi is off, near as I can tell (no big surprise). and I seem to get 6+ hours off a charge these days, from a bad battery, so I think whatever I'm doing is working. (Also, it's really easy to carry 2 batteries. Aside from how slow the reboot is, and the general instability, it makes for a pretty pleasant Android phone experience.)

And your RAPH500 experience, cxi, mirrors mine. Works, but is so tight on memory that it locks up pretty frequently, and takes 20 seconds to come back.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
And your RAPH500 experience, cxi, mirrors mine. Works, but is so tight on memory that it locks up pretty frequently, and takes 20 seconds to come back.
Yea, it seems that device is not only low on memory but not all of it is exposed yet... is that still correct?

I do hate to poke the bear, but I have to know... have you had boot failures from having memory full in WinMo? Have you tried any different ROMs like that lightNBH ROM or whatever to see if it makes a difference whatsoever?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux