View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 AM
chrialex
PPCGeeks Regular

chrialex is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
That's a very good point chrialex, and makes a lot of sense. I'm impressed that it actually reduces the wait/fc's you're getting.... that's awesome!

Y'know, I'm not even sure what class card I'm running. Just checked, and my 8gb card is class 4. I'm betting my older card is class 2... Huh. Well, if I do need another card I'll be sure to get a higher class than 4!
The classes refer to their read/write speeds, so the higher the class, the faster they process and the less the system will have to wait. I rarely have a force close on my class 6, and when I do, it is usually because I have a bunch of stuff running while trying to sync something and starting something that takes a lot of resources. A simple restart fixes it.

EDIT: The Official SD card standard formatting tool, they say that others (like people mention here and at xda) don't comply with the SD Standard and don't deliver optimum performance.
I haven't tested but it couldn't hurt. They have more info on the different cards there as well.
If you can afford a Class 10, go for it, they have a higher speed bus compared to the 'normal' speeds the others have, they can therefore record full HD video/etc...
* Class 2 : 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s): H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
* Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s): MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, DSC consecutive shooting
* Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s): Mega-pixel DSC consecutive shooting, professional video camera
* Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s): Full HD video recording, HD still consecutive shooting

One thing to watch is use the standard class rating, with a C around the number more than the manufacturer's rating. The 'class' system was supposed to standardize everything for consumers, but they do have their own ratings sometimes as well: http://www.reghardware.com/2007/03/0...es_sdhc_cards/

Also, read THIS for more info (if you trust anything that is on Wikipedia, couldn't find the PDF I have from Cisco that says the same thing)

Last edited by chrialex; 08-01-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added Class Speed Info.
This post has been thanked 1 times.