View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM
makkonen
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Here's a downside to reading on Tapatalk instead of my computer -- I forget to read the thread on the computer, and then I stop responding.

I guess it helps not having much to say, and not wanting to get involved in flamewars. Regarding the booting issues on RAPH500 when RAM is scarce in WinMo... it's interesting, but I guess it's not as surprising as it'd appear at first blush. (I haven't yet tried to replicate it -- I'm low on SD cards at the moment so I grabbed the one out of the raph500... and an unactivated phone is only so interesting.) Anyway, not only does the VZW TP have less RAM than Sprint... on top of that, only 2/3 of the RAM in it is addressable from the current kernel. So instead of 288mb, there's 128. That hurts. (Completely unfounded theorizing follows...) I'd imagine the failure to boot has to do with something sitting in that unaddressable space when the handover to linux happens.

I'd want something a little more concrete before saying that the state of memory when booting into Android actually affects performance once Android is loaded. It certainly shouldn't, as WinMo is actually being replaced in RAM. I promise. Then again, there are plenty of weird little traces left, and maybe some unexpected bug is getting in the way. I wouldn't totally rule it out, but my hunch is that confirmation bias is playing a big role.

On another note, I use the built-in power control widget to toggle wifi, and it does all I need. I've used other toggle widgets, and they don't seem to provide any further functionality.