PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
its not like this specific argument has been made, not with tethering involved it hasnt... im raising questions, asking, shouldnt this be considered in there as well.. if not, why not.. im sure i used the word banned but, what happened above happened to me as well.. i got a 3 point infraction, and loss of all priviages for like a week, maybe 10 days, for bein rude and irrelevant in my reponses in a thread....which now thats its been pointed out, alot of you are doing here as well... it was called member abuse and posting irrelvant comments in a thread to pick a fight really.. so now that thats out of the way...

anyone have anything new to contribute, that doesnt involve violating TOS, a reg edit to gain access, or buying a lisence to a program that gains backdoor/masked access for you instead????

sorry if that sounds snotty, just looking for something that somehow makes it ok for us to not pay for a softwares service that we atleast know TELUS and SPRINT are against as far as if your not using a MIKE or PAM plan for service
i truly am not trying to pick a fight but you are being hypocritical. YOU USE THE VERY PROGRAM YOU ARE TRYING TO BAN!!! if you didnt use it then your argument would probly carry a bit more weight with me, im sorry but i cant understand your reasoning. up until the point where you got banned it was alright in your mind to have this on the website but now after your back its not alright. what envoked this new thought of reasoning please let us know so that it may make more sense to us. and please dont just say because its wrong cuz at one point you thought it was alright enough for you, youself to Download the application and use it!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

this is from your link... Link. Therefore, a new application, Internet Sharing, is now available. The following features included:
  • USB tethering or Microsoft Bluetooth stack support.
  • Connection sharing so that a mobile device and a remote device that is connected to the mobile device can share the connection to the Internet.
  • Radio features such as suspend/resume and simultaneous voice and data can be used.
Partner Requirements: The USB interface requires an INF file similar to the one that is used for Modem Link today. This INF file requires a unique ID to differentiate it from the ActiveSync USB connection. This application is an optional package.

now what about this is MS saying your carrier doesnt have the right not to make this unavailble to you??

where in any of the TOS' we've posted does it say anything other than your not suppose to be using a standard unlimited data plan to connect/tether this way? because their is a paid way, MIKE(TELUS) and PAM(SPRINT) to do so..
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonzbabysh View Post
i truly am not trying to pick a fight but you are being hypocritical. YOU USE THE VERY PROGRAM YOU ARE TRYING TO BAN!!! if you didnt use it then your argument would probly carry a bit more weight with me, im sorry but i cant understand your reasoning. up until the point where you got banned it was alright in your mind to have this on the website but now after your back its not alright. what envoked this new thought of reasoning please let us know so that it may make more sense to us. and please dont just say because its wrong cuz at one point you thought it was alright enough for you, youself to Download the application and use it!
when did i say i felt it was alright to use.. i know dam well im stealing services from my carrier, and so do all of you.. how does my motive, my charactor, apperntly you guys think im a moron so ill say my intelligence, or given an infraction or not, have anything to do with the topic..

i dont want rapists on the street but i want drug dealers... i wanna fight one crime, yet commit another myself.. so what.. it doesnt matter.. the facts, are the issue, were stealing flat out, no way around it... so im asking, why can we talk about it, and recommened to the world that they as well steal as we steal...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
i openly use this yes, and im not asking anyone not to.. my case is for removing current and banning future discussion because in fact its wrong and we are "cracking" software to get it to work in our favor
Can you show me that crack again? Because there is no crack for Sprint that I know of. ICS comes bundled with the stock rom and works out of the box in the shipped rom.

We've been over this 1000 times and you keep making this claim without backing it up.

Yes, running the software that ships with the device violates the TOS, but it does not involve any liability to PPCGeeks.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Quote:
when did i say i felt it was alright to use.. i know dam well im stealing services from my carrier, and so do all of you.. how does my motive, my charactor, apperntly you guys think im a moron so ill say my intelligence, or given an infraction or not, have anything to do with the topic..

i dont want rapists on the street but i want drug dealers... i wanna fight one crime, yet commit another myself.. so what.. it doesnt matter.. the facts, are the issue, were stealing flat out, no way around it... so im asking, why can we talk about it, and recommened to the world that they as well steal as we steal...
you missed my point and im sorry i didnt make it clear im agreeing with you that i think its warez, i myself do not tether at all no need to , but i was asking why the change of heart on the topic once you were off of suspention. it seems like you really just want "pay back" for something with this thread. and if you got the impression that i was trying to insult your intelligence i apologize that was not my intention.

and by me saying that at one point you felt it was alright to use this, i meant when you initially saw the thread for wifirouter for the first time why didnt you make a fuss about it then, why now is my question.

Last edited by MoonZ*BabysH; 02-23-2009 at 09:32 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

and i guess ultimately most feel we have the right to use our phones as we see fit am i right?? this includes, use of these mentioned in the post, and ROMs and all things cell related????

so why do you all flash your phones back to stock and hard reset the evidence away before taking your phone in then???
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Can you show me that crack again? Because there is no crack for Sprint that I know of. ICS comes bundled with the stock rom and works out of the box in the shipped rom.

We've been over this 1000 times and you keep making this claim without backing it up.

Yes, running the software that ships with the device violates the TOS, but it does not involve any liability to PPCGeeks.
theres a million and 1 TP users that will argue they could not connect out of the box without either, ICS reg edit, wmwifi, pdanet... so i think thats all the proof we need on that.. do you need me to do a live(via qik) hard reset on my phone then connect it to my laptop, turn on the bone stock ics and watch it NOT WORK??
Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

cruiser78 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
see the part where it says not abuse any flat rate unlimited plan.... thats where its talking about tethering.. our interpretations of laws dont matter, thats for courts... you make think murder is acceptable if u catch your wife in bed with another man, a judge or jury may think differently based on the laws and rules...

and wow, 10mb, power user arent ya, the cap is 5gb is your impying you go over but not alot, i dont really see what your amout of use means in here.. thats like saying yes i used warez, but it was only a few times.. its still not allowed..

and u dont need ics hacks or anything, but a data plan and wifi to run slingbox on your phone..

and nowhere in TOS does it say anything other than you cant use your data connect in the fashion of gaining access to a pc/laptop without paying for the right unlimited data service and that the standard unlimited data service is not enough

customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only... PAM,MIKE, whatever is not cutomary usage.. and you traveling around with a device, with internet capabilities mean you have wirless internet in your hands... not hooked into a laptop/pc
ok... 1st point - when I said my usage hasn't topped 10 MB on my bill I should have been more clear. In case you didn't catch what I meant... at Christmas at my mom's I used well over 500 MB tethered to my laptop but it showed up as around 13 or 14 MB usage on my bill. On subsequent bills, it has not gone above 10 MB but I have used well over that amount... as in several hundred MB... that's presumably from making a change to a server setting in the ##778# settings. I didn't test it before I made the change since I only got my TP in December. I rarely use tethering on my laptop since I don't take it with me everywhere I go. At home I've got a wired internet connection and definitely make good use of that so that power user statemtn is pointless.

2 - When the TOS says "You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS." it would only make sense from reading the rest of the TOS that it's talking about excessive bandwidth usage/going over the 5 gb cap if there is technically a cap on Telus. (not sure)

3 - As per my slingbox comment, when the TOS says "You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming" I would say that that would fall into that category. Sure doing it over wifi would be perfectly fine according to the TOS but we're talking about the data connection and acceptable uses of that so according to the TOS I guess we better not let Telus users talk about how to get Slingbox or any other media streaming service working on their phones or else we can consider that "warez" as it's a violation of the TOS.

4 - While Sprint's TOS clearly states that using the phone's data connection to give internet to a PC or laptop is prohibited, Telus does not. Telus' TOS says nothing specific about that and the reason I mention low bandwidth usage does have relevance in Telus' case is because
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Gypsy
When I tether I use very little bandwidth, much less than what I use in day to day use of my phone.
and seeing as he's on Telus and not using excessive data and the TOS allow the use of the data connection for "wireless internet data" that could be argued to be legal under Telus TOS. If were to somehow make it into a court room, a case could probably be made for an unclear wording in the TOS as to not specifically stating tethering wasn't allowed. As long as when a Telus user is tethered and only browsing web pages or getting RSS news feeds or the like and not downloading huge files or torrents or streaming YouTube or other video sites on their computer while tethered they should be ok according the TOS. But, like you say, that's all in the interpretation but my opinion is that a solid case could be made to support that view with the current TOS
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:

how are custom ROMs doing anything wrong, sure u have the TOS thing, but your not getting something for free that should be paid for..... if carriers offered alternate Roms for a fee, and people sold cracked versions(not their own custom version) than yeah, it would be an issue...

but custom your rom all day long, theres nothing to be paid for involved...

and everyone wants me to be nice here, so can we chill on the MR law student comments.. especially since im kinda proving you all wrong everytime
Quote:

so why do you all flash your phones back to stock and hard reset the evidence away before taking your phone in then???
Contradiction to prove a point is still contradiction.

Last edited by MoonZ*BabysH; 02-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

im not trying to prove anything, look around, im alla round this site, these past 2 days posting on other things.. im asking a question over here... its not like im forcing anyone to come here and say anything.. and im going about my life on the other things that go on here...

the only reason i apologize in my opening is 1) i knew this would be a good topic for discussion and would stir up some good points for both sides.. 2) i didnt want this to be mistaken as some sort of protest for my other actions.. whats why a few posts back i said i got what i deserved if i violated proper member conduct quidelines by offending someone..

as for the change of heart, its a debate, you chose a side, didnt bill clinton have a "war on drugs" yet he smoked pot in college and who know what he did or was doing...

anyone ever taken debate class before? i havent, by the Great Debaters was awesome.. in a debate, you take a stand based on information available to you, not personal opinions, you chose which side of the argument you feel is the winning side of the argument...

im a preachers son, raised in church... defiant lil *astard i was... i once in sunday school had ot debate GOD vs Satan.. it wasnt my choice but by coin toss, i had to argue the Pro Satan/Anti God side of the issue.. didnt that make me anyless of a christian for having an intelligent argument, nope..

and i ask this since i agree i am a bit hypocritical here, but can a preacher not preach the works of god, because every man in fact has a sin nature, and if thats true of every man, how is a preacher not a hypocrite when hes teaching you to be "god-like"

please lets not really talk about religion..PLEASE.. its just an example of fighting for a cause when you yurself are at fault for the same thing
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions