cruiser78
PPCGeeks Regular

cruiser78 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
see the part where it says not abuse any flat rate unlimited plan.... thats where its talking about tethering.. our interpretations of laws dont matter, thats for courts... you make think murder is acceptable if u catch your wife in bed with another man, a judge or jury may think differently based on the laws and rules...

and wow, 10mb, power user arent ya, the cap is 5gb is your impying you go over but not alot, i dont really see what your amout of use means in here.. thats like saying yes i used warez, but it was only a few times.. its still not allowed..

and u dont need ics hacks or anything, but a data plan and wifi to run slingbox on your phone..

and nowhere in TOS does it say anything other than you cant use your data connect in the fashion of gaining access to a pc/laptop without paying for the right unlimited data service and that the standard unlimited data service is not enough

customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only... PAM,MIKE, whatever is not cutomary usage.. and you traveling around with a device, with internet capabilities mean you have wirless internet in your hands... not hooked into a laptop/pc
ok... 1st point - when I said my usage hasn't topped 10 MB on my bill I should have been more clear. In case you didn't catch what I meant... at Christmas at my mom's I used well over 500 MB tethered to my laptop but it showed up as around 13 or 14 MB usage on my bill. On subsequent bills, it has not gone above 10 MB but I have used well over that amount... as in several hundred MB... that's presumably from making a change to a server setting in the ##778# settings. I didn't test it before I made the change since I only got my TP in December. I rarely use tethering on my laptop since I don't take it with me everywhere I go. At home I've got a wired internet connection and definitely make good use of that so that power user statemtn is pointless.

2 - When the TOS says "You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS." it would only make sense from reading the rest of the TOS that it's talking about excessive bandwidth usage/going over the 5 gb cap if there is technically a cap on Telus. (not sure)

3 - As per my slingbox comment, when the TOS says "You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming" I would say that that would fall into that category. Sure doing it over wifi would be perfectly fine according to the TOS but we're talking about the data connection and acceptable uses of that so according to the TOS I guess we better not let Telus users talk about how to get Slingbox or any other media streaming service working on their phones or else we can consider that "warez" as it's a violation of the TOS.

4 - While Sprint's TOS clearly states that using the phone's data connection to give internet to a PC or laptop is prohibited, Telus does not. Telus' TOS says nothing specific about that and the reason I mention low bandwidth usage does have relevance in Telus' case is because
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Gypsy
When I tether I use very little bandwidth, much less than what I use in day to day use of my phone.
and seeing as he's on Telus and not using excessive data and the TOS allow the use of the data connection for "wireless internet data" that could be argued to be legal under Telus TOS. If were to somehow make it into a court room, a case could probably be made for an unclear wording in the TOS as to not specifically stating tethering wasn't allowed. As long as when a Telus user is tethered and only browsing web pages or getting RSS news feeds or the like and not downloading huge files or torrents or streaming YouTube or other video sites on their computer while tethered they should be ok according the TOS. But, like you say, that's all in the interpretation but my opinion is that a solid case could be made to support that view with the current TOS
This post has been thanked 1 times.