PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What rom are you running
RootRom Standard Sense 2.5 81 23.55%
RootRom Sense 2.1 46 13.37%
DarkRoot Sense 2.5 32 9.30%
MaxDarkRoot Sense 2.5 33 9.59%
MaxDarkRootCombo Sense 2.5 117 34.01%
Titanuim Root 38 11.05%
Ninja Rom TF3D 2.1 13 3.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(Sprint version)
Carrier: Vzw

botnryan is keeping up the good workbotnryan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] ROOTROM - Sense 2.1/2.5 Landscape - SMS/MMS - Sashimi Compliant - 04/18/20

im glad i make sense to someone and im not just babbling on about something i think im an expert on but im actually just some noob spouting out info that comes straight out my ass lol

EDIT: also let me add that imo the flash dance should be this:

From custom -> to stock
let customizations run.

From stock -> to custom
let customizations run, now youre ready.

I dont see any point in adding a hard reset after letting customs run on stock or custom roms. because when you flash the rom, it JUST DID a hard reset of your phone. youre just adding an extra step thats pretty much useless in my eyes.

Last edited by botnryan; 05-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to drdrewdown Send a message via AIM to drdrewdown Send a message via MSN to drdrewdown Send a message via Yahoo to drdrewdown Send a message via Skype™ to drdrewdown
Re: [ROM] ROOTROM - Sense 2.1/2.5 Landscape - SMS/MMS - Sashimi Compliant - 04/18/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by botnryan View Post
im glad i make sense to someone and im not just babbling on about something i think im an expert on but im actually just some noob spouting out info that comes straight out my ass lol
haha, actually you've impressed me how much & how quickly you've picked this stuff up. i remember when you first came here, you've come a long way bud

i agree on the hard resetting, its fairly pointless
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6601/6700/6800/6850/Blackberry 9930

axe314 is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to axe314

Well Dr., I may be cured. Guess I will be a Flash Dance fan now. I have not seen such a problem with any previous ROMs, but this is probably the biggest one I've tried. 6700/6800s don't hold as much. Anyway, no crash today, so I guess it's time to click on 'donate.' Glad I could provide some entertainment.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

To the Bad Flash Deniers-Riddle me this: I flash a ROM and it doesn't work. I Dance and the ROM is fully functional.
Now, what would YOU call the first flash? A good flash?
Regardless of the cause was the flash not 'bad' thus requiring a Dance? Seems to fit to me so I can't wrap my head around the notion that there is no such thing as a bad flash.

This is how I read it waaay back in nrgz thread, from the man himself. I've never claimed ownership, just makes sense in my brain.

When we flash a custom ROM, which does not include a radio, some data can be written to the radio portion of the ROM where it doesn't belong. This will jack up the ROM a little or a lot.
This is why reflashing custom wont work. Since it doesn't flash the radio, once the data is in the radio portion it's "stuck" there until we clear it out.
In my experience random soft or hard resets are classic signs of this type of bad flash, other signs can simply be weird quirks that no one else is reporting.

When we flash back to stock, the radio is flashed as well. (Provided we use a shipped ROM) This clears out the misplaced data from the radio portion of the previous ROM.
The next flash will almost always go well thus fixing the problem. Could THAT flash write to the radio portion again? I suppose and I can't explain why that rarely seems to happen. I've always questioned that part but never needed to find out the answer. Maybe this is the Smoking Gun the Bad Flash Deniers are waiting for?

I think we can all agree on a few things:

1) ANY root ROM is solid as Gibraltar

2) The Dance is not required but it certainly improves your chance of a successful experience

3) The hard resets in between flashes during the Dance are pointless time wasters.

4) There are many causes of an unsuccessful experience including but not limited to user error, corrupt SD card data or CABs/modifications that screwed with the OS.

5) If you didn't Dance and you're having issues that no one else is having then try the Dance before saying 'this ROM blows' or you may get lit up!

I'm not looking for the last word but can we lay this bad flash business to rest and continue enjoying roots great work and helping new friends get it right?
If you want to tell me I'm nuts PM me or find me on Palringo.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(Sprint version)
Carrier: Vzw

botnryan is keeping up the good workbotnryan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
To the Bad Flash Deniers-Riddle me this: I flash a ROM and it doesn't work. I Dance and the ROM is fully functional.
Now, what would YOU call the first flash? A good flash?
Regardless of the cause was the flash not 'bad' thus requiring a Dance?
No, the actual flash you JUST did was not bad. it flashed everything just right if it went to 100%, something that was ALREADY on the phone from the previous rom obviously contradicted with something in the new rom, that the new rom did not replace thus causing it to not work.

EDIT: for example. say you go from CustomRomA and it has WM6.5x build 22222, and youre flashing straight to CustomRomB with WM6.5x build 33333, and you dont flash to stock before hand. when you flash to the new OS build, it has 2 files that do things very critical to the operation of the OS and their names are OSfile.aaa, and fileOS.aaa. now in the old version of the OS, OSfile.aaa did operation A. and fileOS.aaa did operation B. In the new version, OSfile.aa does operation B, and vise versa. Now lets say for some reason the chef doesnt include these files because he, himself, is flashing from a rom with the same build as the rom he is flashing to. so he doesnt see them as necessary and doesnt think of the other users (root would never do that ) so when the new rom is flashed, those to files do not operate as they should and the phone now is malfunctioning. The rom flashed correctly, but because files that were already on the phone were not what the new rom was expecting... the phone doesnt work right.

now all that said, i realize its a bad example because obviously a stock rom isnt going to have the correct files on it either, but hopefully you can see what i mean from that.
Quote:
When we flash a custom ROM, which does not include a radio, some data can be written to the radio portion of the ROM where it doesn't belong.
sorry, but i dont buy that, if it flashes data to the radio portion once, it will do it everytime, thus fuggin it up everytime.

Quote:
I can't explain why that rarely seems to happen. I've always questioned that part but never needed to find out the answer. Maybe this is the Smoking Gun the Bad Flash Deniers are waiting for?
indeed...indeed.

Quote:
I think we can all agree on a few things:

1) ANY root ROM is solid as Gibraltar

2) The Dance is not required but it certainly improves your chance of a successful experience

3) The hard resets in between flashes during the Dance are pointless time wasters.

4) There are many causes of an unsuccessful experience including but not limited to user error, corrupt SD card data or CABs/modifications that screwed with the OS.

5) If you didn't Dance and you're having issues that no one else is having then try the Dance before saying 'this ROM blows' or you may get lit up!

I'm not looking for the last word but can we lay this bad flash business to rest and continue enjoying roots great work and helping new friends get it right?
If you want to tell me I'm nuts PM me or find me on Palringo.
agreed. and now ill lay it to rest lol. this shall be my last post on the subjuect

Last edited by botnryan; 05-07-2010 at 09:53 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

So if you have a bad flash and decide to switch from a custom ROM back to a stock ROM is that a "FlashBack"?

David
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE
Threadstarter

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I remember that discusion as I was in on it.
Data can be writen to the wrong areas like radio.
Our rom flashing is not perfect I think.
I used to flash eeproms for hacking back in the day and sometimes it took a few tries.
Just like defraging a windows pc helps fix problems.Files can get misplaced and a data string can stray.
Most of us that have been flashing a while understand a clean stock flash can fix and replace broken or misplaced code or data.
Sometimes making cds or dvds can also take a few tries. Same thing happens. A fluke in data writing.

In any case a stock flash can and does help with some problems.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 PM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE
Threadstarter

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the donations my friends.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (USC)
Carrier: US Cellular

snipper_cr is just getting started

Has anyone had problems with the notification bar at the top? I am not sure if it is my phone, but with just about every root rom I've used, after a day I can no longer tap them to have the icons pop up. This is especially frustrating when I get the little [!] icon meaning I have multiple alerts and I cant see what they are.

On the topics of bad flashes, I must have done this one really wrong. I have had general stability problems in critical areas. Froze up trying to answer a call, won't hang up calls when I use the hardware hangup key.

I've flash danced multiple times before with other roms and not sure what went wrong with this one. I just may try going back to stock then forward again.

Edit: It's got to be a bad flash/improperly flashed by me. I have had to soft reset it 3 times now get it to load all the way. Keeps getting stuck on the home screen with 0:00 for the time and all the bottoms do not work.

Last edited by snipper_cr; 05-08-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Touch Pro (Sprint)

RyanMayo knows their stuffRyanMayo knows their stuffRyanMayo knows their stuffRyanMayo knows their stuffRyanMayo knows their stuffRyanMayo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper_cr View Post
Has anyone had problems with the notification bar at the top? I am not sure if it is my phone, but with just about every root rom I've used, after a day I can no longer tap them to have the icons pop up. This is especially frustrating when I get the little [!] icon meaning I have multiple alerts and I cant see what they are.

On the topics of bad flashes, I must have done this one really wrong. I have had general stability problems in critical areas. Froze up trying to answer a call, won't hang up calls when I use the hardware hangup key.

I've flash danced multiple times before with other roms and not sure what went wrong with this one. I just may try going back to stock then forward again.

Edit: It's got to be a bad flash/improperly flashed by me. I have had to soft reset it 3 times now get it to load all the way. Keeps getting stuck on the home screen with 0:00 for the time and all the bottoms do not work.
Are you flashing from SD card? If so, it could be a bad card. Sounds crazy but it IS possible. If you are flashing from SD, try flashing using bootloader. Either way, you are getting a bad flash. Which STOCK ROM are you flashdancing with? A dumped ROM or a shipped ROM? Make certain that it is a shipped ROM. You can also try flashing different Radios...

ROOT'S ROMS ARE THE MOST SOLID, STABLE ROMS OUT THERE.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development

Tags
rom, rootrom, sense 2.1, sense 2.5, titanium