PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Spearoid is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [March 25th, 2009] "One Rom To Rule Them All..." MIGHTYROM 4.8 [20771] [UC] [24MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but how are you basing that this will increase your battery life so significantly. You just found out about it a couple hours ago. Are you just basing it on the battery discharge rate? If so, can you list the before and after for me so that I can decide if I want a slower starting Opera or better battery life? TIA
His suggestion removes the Opera process from running automatically after soft reset. If you arent using Opera, and that process is not "killed" after a soft reset, it DOES drain your battery significantly. If you manually kill the process, OR if you load up Opera (after a soft reset) and then exit Opera (which also kills the process), then the battery drain goes away.

So his advertisement is true, provided you arent a freak Opera user that loads it up seconds after every soft reset (does anyone like that actually exist?)

Thank you Mr Obvious for the answer to my question from many posts ago on how to remove that stupid process from the start!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Telus

WithoutRemorse is just getting started
Re: [March 25th, 2009] "One Rom To Rule Them All..." MIGHTYROM 4.8 [20771] [UC] [24MB

ringer issue reared its ugly head... we need to get this resolved STAT! or I'm going to have to go back to STOCK! eeeek.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutRemorse View Post
ringer issue reared its ugly head... we need to get this resolved STAT! or I'm going to have to go back to STOCK! eeeek.
Have you tried using a wav instead of mp3 or wma? I had the ringer issue and changed to using a wav and haven't had the problem for weeks.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearoid View Post
So his advertisement is true, provided you arent a freak Opera user that loads it up seconds after every soft reset (does anyone like that actually exist?)
Do you have some numbers to back up the awesome claim? Opera is using 5 kb of memory and 0% of my CPU currently on my phone. Meanwhile, manila2.exe is using 3381 kb (just for some perspective). I find it hard to believe that gaining that 5 kb of memory is vastly going to improve battery life. I just don't think that there was enough time between 'discovering' how to kill the process and making the claim that it will improve battery life. If there's actual data (or even a day or two of using the phone with the new setting) that shows it will make battery life, I wouldn't be skeptical at all.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Telus

WithoutRemorse is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
Have you tried using a wav instead of mp3 or wma? I had the ringer issue and changed to using a wav and haven't had the problem for weeks.
I'll give it a shot - but im not optimistic
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Do you have some numbers to back up the awesome claim? Opera is using 5 kb of memory and 0% of my CPU currently on my phone. Meanwhile, manila2.exe is using 3381 kb (just for some perspective). I find it hard to believe that gaining that 5 kb of memory is vastly going to improve battery life. I just don't think that there was enough time between 'discovering' how to kill the process and making the claim that it will improve battery life. If there's actual data (or even a day or two of using the phone with the new setting) that shows it will make battery life, I wouldn't be skeptical at all.
I closed the process this morning just to see if it makes a difference. My analysis will be completely unscientific though on a related subject, has anyone tried Lumos out yet to replace your auto light settings. Many our claiming this will help with battery life as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
I closed the process this morning just to see if it makes a difference. My analysis will be completely unscientific though on a related subject, has anyone tried Lumos out yet to replace your auto light settings. Many our claiming this will help with battery life as well.

I use Lumos, but like you, my unscientific analysis is that I dont know if it helps or not. I figured what the hell it might work so I gave it a shot. I'm a light texter and phone user, but I do use it for music and games quite a bit and I have pretty good battery life. Id say I take off charge in the morning around 7 and I'm somewhere around 60% by the time I go to sleep 11 or 12 ish.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

nigfink is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREmp77 View Post
Id say I take off charge in the morning around 7 and I'm somewhere around 60% by the time I go to sleep 11 or 12 ish.
I don't know what I'm doing. I text a few times and make a few phone calls and I can't make it through a day. By 5 or 6 I have to change my battery. I drive around a lot, but I'm usually in a good signal area. Even sitting in my house on a Sat, where I get 4 bars, if I don't text or use the phone I'm at 40% by the evening.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Spearoid is just getting started

Quote:
Well you must have not seen my posts a few pages back where I was skeptical like you....for similar reasons and more. This was a week ago. I used 4.8 for a week or more without knowing about the "opera9 autoload" concept...and my battery sucked.....died after about 7 hours of "my use." I learned about the opera9 issue.....argued, doubted, then just did it...and have been using my phone for more than a week now manually closing opera9 every time I reset my phone......and the difference was so blatantly obvious that there was never any need to run any numbers. Opera9 must make some sort of data request every certain interval of time....and it must be this that drains the battery.....because I get at least 3 more hours of use now that I kill it. So, a week of testing (unintentionally) with opera9 running always, and a week or testing without, and I no longer have to charge my phone at work to keep it from dying before I go home.

Just do it......and you will see the same thing, again, unless you are an Opera freak who used it every time you reset your phone and consquently closed the opera9 process without realize it was already running.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I can definitely tell because I sent and recieved ~8000 texts the last billing cycle. So yeah I text a lot.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development