PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Omnia problems and solutions thread!!!

I find I hardly (if ever) use the stylus. The keyboard isn't bad on the Omnia either, pretty easy to get used to.

As for flashing ROMs, it isn't available on the Omnia (i910) yet, but the common theory is that when a packaged ROM update is released, it will allow kitchens to open and custom ROMs to come out. VZW has promised an unlock to GPS in the near future (initially promised in first half of '09, I have heard as early as first quarter) so I am thinking custom ROMs will be out very soon.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP

I just saw a post you had in another thread about the cooking of ROM's. And I was fixing to ask, what is this update fix I've been seeing here and there for then...is it not a ROM update? That was one of the things on my to-do list today was track down this update so it was readily available when phone arrives tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP

Ok, found the update I was referring to and it is for the i900...so my bad! But I DL'ed anyway to take a look at it...for what good that might do!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Just make sure looking is ALL you do....i900 ROMs will either crap out burring flashing (if your lucky) or brick your i910! The update you have heard about is VZW's promise to unlock the GPS (not a guarentee of a packaged ROM update, but it makes sense). It is not out yet, so there is no update to 'have ready at hand' for your new Omnia.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, I just gathered that while searching just now. As far as the i900 update I downloaded is some launcher I have never seen so I don't know how to open it up and see what is inside. About the bricking issue(s), remember I have the TP so I am very familiar with the whole ordeal and very careful about what I do or don't do. I very much appreciate your time on these matters, I am actually looking forward to receiving it, as I have only played with in store for about 1 minute.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post
Yeah, I just gathered that while searching just now. As far as the i900 update I downloaded is some launcher I have never seen so I don't know how to open it up and see what is inside. About the bricking issue(s), remember I have the TP so I am very familiar with the whole ordeal and very careful about what I do or don't do. I very much appreciate your time on these matters, I am actually looking forward to receiving it, as I have only played with in store for about 1 minute.
just a question, why are u switching from the Touch Pro, to the Omnia? for all intents and purposes you have the better phone as far as software, support, ROMs, and Qwerty keyboard...

Don't get me wrong I think the Omnia is the better device(just my opinion) but I just wanted to ask
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
just a question, why are u switching from the Touch Pro, to the Omnia? for all intents and purposes you have the better phone as far as software, support, ROMs, and Qwerty keyboard...

Don't get me wrong I think the Omnia is the better device(just my opinion) but I just wanted to ask
Honestly, I love the TP! But the problem is, I cannot afford to be missing calls because phone does not ring. I've missed an un-determined amount of calls because ringer never sounded. And as of now, Omnia will be sent back as soon as it arrives. After a call in to VZW to request tracking info, the rep got her supervisor involved and believed that I was losing money in the deal and offered up the Storm as my replacement. Even though there are minor issues at this time, update (in testing next week) will be available soon. I came to WinMo from Curve and I know I won't have the issues I have now.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: VZW

leland_jr is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post
Just joined the forum to offer a solution to this problem. Actually stumbled into this very thread recently when I was looking for a solution to the same problem!
Home screen -> Main Menu -> Settings -> Phone -> Security tab -> Emergency Call button -> if you have any numbers programmed here: delete them.
I noticed serendipitously that the stupid "emergency only calls" alert comes on whenever I called one of the numbers I had programmed here (my wife!). Problem disappeared when I deleted the three numbers I had entered. Thereafter, I cannot seem to be able to get that warning to come on.
Hope this works. BTW, called Verizon tech service the same night I found this thread: they are clueless but at least didn't try to snow or b.s. me.
Hope this helps
What's crazy is that I had this problem last night when I actually had to call 911.

Exchange server requires me to have a PIN so I definitely want 911 in that emergency list in case of an emergency where someone has to use my phone, but then it flips out if you actually have to call. I hope VZW is well aware of this.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post
Honestly, I love the TP! But the problem is, I cannot afford to be missing calls because phone does not ring. I've missed an un-determined amount of calls because ringer never sounded. And as of now, Omnia will be sent back as soon as it arrives. After a call in to VZW to request tracking info, the rep got her supervisor involved and believed that I was losing money in the deal and offered up the Storm as my replacement. Even though there are minor issues at this time, update (in testing next week) will be available soon. I came to WinMo from Curve and I know I won't have the issues I have now.
You really seem to be getting CS people that are confusing? How does he figure your losing money in the deal over the Storm???? If they are talking about the current promotion, sure, but the initial value is almost identical (within 20-30 $) the TP is so greatly over=priced I couldn't believe it when I found out how much more the Omnia is capable of. If you like the idea od a Blackberry Storm, then that is fantastic, but I honestly think your getting the short-end of the stick here.

Either way, good luck, I truly hope you get 100% satisfaction from whatever device you end up with....good luck!!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
You really seem to be getting CS people that are confusing? How does he figure your losing money in the deal over the Storm???? If they are talking about the current promotion, sure, but the initial value is almost identical (within 20-30 $) the TP is so greatly over=priced I couldn't believe it when I found out how much more the Omnia is capable of. If you like the idea od a Blackberry Storm, then that is fantastic, but I honestly think your getting the short-end of the stick here.

Either way, good luck, I truly hope you get 100% satisfaction from whatever device you end up with....good luck!!
I appreciate all the help and support thus far, and especially appreciate the last sentence. I have written this response 3 times now because looking back my response were to much BB related. So short and sweet and to the point...THANK YOU!!! And yes, I do agree that TP is over priced...and that was my point and the point of the last CS I spoke with. I wasn't, and still am not, being reimbursed for any differences in out of pocket cost. So in essence, it settles better knowing that I am only loosing about $75 vs. $250.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia