PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

Yes...but there is no such thing as "unlimited". It's unlimited within reason... You use the data until your carrier gets pissed off at you. I keep trying to say that SERO is an old plan that came out when data intensive phones did not exist. That's also why many carriers are now specifically mentioning data caps, or in the case of AT&T...introducing plans where you pay for a specific amount of data.

Back in the day, they say unlimited because no one really could hit that bandwidth cap unless they were streaming youtube 24/7. Nowadays, even Comcast has a 250gb cap even though broadband internet use in America has been "unlimited" far longer than 3G even existed. Iconic phones, and by proxy their typical phone users...use more data than SERO phones and their typical users. Thus costing Sprint more to maintain.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beserker15
Yes...but there is no such thing as "unlimited". It's unlimited within reason... You use the data until your carrier gets pissed off at you. I keep trying to say that SERO is an old plan that came out when data intensive phones did not exist. That's also why many carriers are now specifically mentioning data caps, or in the case of AT&T...introducing plans where you pay for a specific amount of data.

Back in the day, they say unlimited because no one really could hit that bandwidth cap unless they were streaming youtube 24/7. Nowadays, even Comcast has a 250gb cap even though broadband internet use in America has been "unlimited" far longer than 3G even existed. Iconic phones, and by proxy their typical phone users...use more data than SERO phones and their typical users. Thus costing Sprint more to maintain.
Seriously, I don't see why you would even defend sprint. Unlimited means just that. If it was limited, I would think twice about the plan... Would you be satisfied with a buffet that would enforce a two plate meal as you dined there?

It's ridiculous to assume I deserve less than what I paid for.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

i love how hou you intentionally misquote me out of context and miss the context just 4 inches to the right of the part you bolded.

way to go I won't even honor your meaningless attempt with a further clarification. My statement stands.

I use a lot of data. my data usage WILL NOT go up with an evo. it will be the same as it is now.

I am sorry but 4g is not DISTINCTLY new as was the difference between 1x and 3g

the difference between 1x and 3g was like the difference between Dial up and DSL

the difference from 3g to 4g is more like the difference between dsl and cable

ie no real difference. cable uses different tech and is slightly faster but otherwise not really any different or distinct.

i also love how you are harping on the 4g right after I said FORGET the 4g because only 2 of the iconic phones even have 4g.

so your argument is meaningless.

as for you the other guy saying stop already

no one is forcing you to read or reply. just unsubscribe and walk away if you don;t like it. Won't bother me.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

MinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
i love how hou you intentionally misquote me out of context and miss the context just 4 inches to the right of the part you bolded.

way to go I won't even honor your meaningless attempt with a further clarification. My statement stands.

I use a lot of data. my data usage WILL NOT go up with an evo. it will be the same as it is now.

I am sorry but 4g is not DISTINCTLY new as was the difference between 1x and 3g

the difference between 1x and 3g was like the difference between Dial up and DSL

the difference from 3g to 4g is more like the difference between dsl and cable

ie no real difference. cable uses different tech and is slightly faster but otherwise not really any different or distinct.

i also love how you are harping on the 4g right after I said FORGET the 4g because only 2 of the iconic phones even have 4g.

so your argument is meaningless.

as for you the other guy saying stop already

no one is forcing you to read or reply. just unsubscribe and walk away if you don;t like it. Won't bother me.
You should make a youtube clip venting your fustration....
Along the same lines of the kid defending Brittney and it would be classic
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardog View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Seriously, I don't see why you would even defend sprint. Unlimited means just that. If it was limited, I would think twice about the plan... Would you be satisfied with a buffet that would enforce a two plate meal as you dined there?

It's ridiculous to assume I deserve less than what I paid for.
You're right, and if Sprint was say a buffet restaurant owned by my friend and he pulled that trick on me...I'll probably punch him first and then quit being friends with him. But...instead they are a large business that isn't quite financially solid. If they did something unforgivable, then yes I'll stop defending them. However, "unlimited" being unlimited is very common to everyone. If you go to a buffet and somehow magically eat like 50 plates...I'm guessing the manager will not let you in ever again (after he calls 911 in fear you might die from eating 50 plates of course).

If Sprint gives every SERO user the option to get an android phone without additional profits, they will as a result loose profit because of the costs to offset the increased traffic (if you are already a SERO user using heavy data, this doesn't apply to you...but also know you by yourself do not make up the average SERO user). This doesn't mean that it'll put them in debt or something...it just means there will be less funds for them to invest in future technologies with (phone partnerships, coverage expansion, 4g). Since they are my carrier, it makes sense that I want them to upgrade their service to compete with the other carriers right?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Quote:
Originally Posted by beserker15 View Post

I definitely see the cost of maintaining the network will increase.

I don't however see how they decided to spread the costs among the user base of phones. I feel like it should be divided in four alternative ways:

1. Split among the entire user base.
2. Split among the entire internet add-on's (SERO incl.)
3. Split among all the smart phone base.
4. Split among the users than Can use 4G.
(Can has to do more than just capabilities of the phone, physical location also matters.)

Without 4G within hours driving distance from me, I doubt I'll personally be enjoying anything out of my fee payments for quite sometime, simply for having a smartphone that will be just be using 3G, and ultimately, a comparable amount of internet usage that I currently do on a WM phone.

My phone CAN use Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation, which also costs $$ to maintain, but since I don't use it, I don't pay for it, and if I were to, I'd get charged on my next bill.

If my phone CAN use 4G, which also costs $$ to maintain, but since I don't use it, I don't pay for it, and if I were to, I'd get charged on my next bill. That is something I'd consider fair as well...

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

avlon is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Guys, I really don't know why there's so much emotion in this argument. The people debating clearly fall into two camps:

1.) What the hell? Sprint is charging me more for trying to buy a better phone? Who do they think they are?!

2.) What the hell? Sprint is going to let me finally upgrade to a better phone? AWESOME!

Both viewpoints have merit. What Sprint did to SERO users by locking us out of certain phones sucked. That's the truth. But it's also pretty awesome that I can get a $40/mo plan with unlimited data, messaging, mobile2mobile, etc. with an Android phone. (I'm not going to talk about the 4G $10 charge because while I understand why Sprint is doing it, I think it's totally retarded.)

No one is really going to convince anyone else of their opinion in this regard, because there are no "facts" that can make someone think they're not getting screwed if they think Sprint is screwing them, and there's no amount of legal posturing/philosophizing that will make someone who's psyched about their $40/mo Android plan think they're getting cheated.

So let's just all agree to disagree, and universally praise the chefs and devs we've got, who are about to get me a fully-working Android on my TP2. Now THAT's worth celebrating.
GREAT POST!!

Personally I think that adding unlimited M2M, Sprint Nav and TV is a fair and tangible return for $10. There simply is no equal to such a plan for $40. I also understand inflation. I'm sure operating costs are not the same now as when SERO was offered in abundance.

The $10 Evo fee is a ludicrous and mishandled mess BUT at least it is disclosed up front. I don't think that those who signed up for it should complain as they knew what they were getting into. To a lot of us long time Sprint customers, it's a rip off but if you are coming from ATT or Verizon then it seems like a great price for service. Especially if there is actual 4G in your area. I personally have no plans on upgrading to the Evo/Epic fee unless 4G comes to my area. I don't believe in paying for something I do not receive and prefer to vote with my wallet.

The big issue that I see is that the selection of 3G phones is pretty pathetic compared to every other carrier. The TP2 is still the king of the 3G heap at Sprint. Every other carrier has also carried this phone in the past and introduced more powerful 3G hardware. Sprint is really behind in this area. Rebrand Verizons version of the Epic and bring it over as a 3G only phone. Just inject some new life into the 3G line up already.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

krwshl is a n00b

If Sprint is so bad maybe you should consider joining with Verizon instead of whining???
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Its a POS

Bird11 is just getting started

Considering the privacy issues with Android, I wont be moving into that platform anytime soon. I already don't use any Google products due to their data collecting and adding a android headset will provide them with massive amount of other data including voice samples, sms messages, location data, usage habits, browsing histories, etc.

At least with windows mobile it doesn't phone home with your location and have many of its functions offloaded to offsite servers. I don't even have a TP2, just a TP and im happy with that now.

As for price. I still feel $30 a month is too expensive for the 500 min sero plan. I have it because I don't have a choice. But I wont be going premium anytime soon because its just too expensive.

Cell companies know the western worlds consumerist culture, they know people will be sheep and pay $90 a month for a cell phone and upgrade frequently because they have to have it. Its all a waste of money. Not to offend anybody, but its one of the reasons the poor stay poor, they buy shit they don't need instead of investing and inventing their salaries.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Its a POS

Bird11 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlon View Post
GREAT POST!!

Personally I think that adding unlimited M2M, Sprint Nav and TV is a fair and tangible return for $10. There simply is no equal to such a plan for $40. I also understand inflation. I'm sure operating costs are not the same now as when SERO was offered in abundance.

The $10 Evo fee is a ludicrous and mishandled mess BUT at least it is disclosed up front. I don't think that those who signed up for it should complain as they knew what they were getting into. To a lot of us long time Sprint customers, it's a rip off but if you are coming from ATT or Verizon then it seems like a great price for service. Especially if there is actual 4G in your area. I personally have no plans on upgrading to the Evo/Epic fee unless 4G comes to my area. I don't believe in paying for something I do not receive and prefer to vote with my wallet.

The big issue that I see is that the selection of 3G phones is pretty pathetic compared to every other carrier. The TP2 is still the king of the 3G heap at Sprint. Every other carrier has also carried this phone in the past and introduced more powerful 3G hardware. Sprint is really behind in this area. Rebrand Verizons version of the Epic and bring it over as a 3G only phone. Just inject some new life into the 3G line up already.

Original Sprint users already have Sprint TV and I now have free M2M, dont know where it came from, but I have it. Google maps works well enough for me.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2