PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In the end the price to get android on sero is still going to be an extra $10 or $20 for 4g. I pay around $34 after taxes on my sero line. The $10 shouldn't add to much in taxes. I don't think $45 is bad for 500 mins to landlines, unlimited mins to mobile phones, unlimited text, unlimited nav, sprint tv and for some any 3 numbers unlmtd. I want to see anyone find a provider with that great of a deal.
No matter what anyone says, prices will continue going up. It's amazing sprint hasn't canceled the sero plans. I myself will continue enjoying the sero plan.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

+1 at the post above.

and also...wrong on the reason why dvd prices dropped. it wasn't because more and more people were getting them. it was because other manufacturers that did not have a well known branded name started selling them at cheaper prices compared to sony, samsung and the likes. and you know what happens when the market gets flooded with a certain product....prices drop. and cell phone prices do drop. you just have to wait a year or two....but doesn't happen to all cell phones though.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
+1 at the post above.

and also...wrong on the reason why dvd prices dropped. it wasn't because more and more people were getting them. it was because other manufacturers that did not have a well known branded name started selling them at cheaper prices compared to sony, samsung and the likes. and you know what happens when the market gets flooded with a certain product....prices drop. and cell phone prices do drop. you just have to wait a year or two....but doesn't happen to all cell phones though.
Well DVD players are different than cell phones, because their usage life is typically longer than 2 years. Whereas with cell phones people are getting new ones every 2 years. Plus there are newer and better cell phones that come out every few months. For DVD players there hasn't been many huge changes in the last 10 years plus, maybe divx support or 1080p upconverting but things like that only happen ever few years. The demand is there for cell phones that cell phone companies don't have to sell the phones for super cheap.

This new SERO option will be the cheapest option out there period. I doubt other plans get any cheaper, because there isn't enough competition out there to drive prices down. $57/mo after taxes for a 4G android phone sounds like a steal to me. For Verizon or At&t to get similar rate plans would probably be around $110/mo after taxes.

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

"Like it or not - It's their sandbox and they set the rules, if you don't like the rules change carriers!"

Actually its OUR sandbox. Operating a company is not a right is a priviledge granted to corporations BY US the citizens of the united states of america.

ITS OUR SAND BOX. they play by OUR RULES.

the problem is our society has become apathetic and literally "dumber" so we lets the tail wag the dog so to speak and do nothing about it (as a whole)

DVD players are the opposite of cell phones since dvd players are objects that are sold so as you sell more you economy of SCALE goes down IE they get cheaper.

Cell Phones require "service" and this service has to be maintained and EXPANDED as you add more users.

The idea is the users you add pay for the services you expand. The problem is when EXISTING users start to use MORE services.

this should not be a problem. You see if your intelligent you amortize the cost of your network into the "expected" lifespan if your accounts. Once that has occurred your "effective" profit from each customer goes up. If they use more that is factored into your profit (hence the 5gb limit)

You get 5gb whether you use 5gb or not thats what your paying for. a good analogy is actually the buffet.

$13 a person all you can eat whether thats 1 plate or 3 plates its $13

IF the company is smart they factor in the max usage say 3 plates and price accordingly.

What sprint is doing would be tantamount to you eating 1 plate at the buffet for several years and then suddenly you start eating 2 plates (say smart phone) and now suddenly they are upset at their lower profit so they want to charge you more.

but you PAID for all you can eat and your NOT over the theoretical max (3 plates)

this is not fair and is unethical.

my anger in this thread is NOT at sprint. They are doing what any corrupt greedy corporation does. Screw their customers.

I am angry at the INABILITY or UNWILLINGNESS of some of the people on this forum to grasp this very simple very common issue for what it is.

What they are doing is WRONG and it should not be tolerated.

When a company SCREWS UP and makes a mistake on their estimation of user usage the RIGHT MORAL AND PROPER WAY to handle this is to change it "from them on" not retroactively.

For example. you want us to subsidize your new toy? fine but we require these changes.

Your a NEW user? NEW rules you don't get the rules of the existing users.

this is the RIGHT way to handle this.

the problem is sprint is RETROACTIVELY changing the rules for EXISTING USERS. this is wrong. THIS is where my problem lies.

If I want sprint to subsidize an EPIC I have no problem with sprint saying ok but you must accept these new terms.

in the past this is how it worked. if I did not like the new terms then I had to foot the full bill for the new phone myself.

Now sprint is saying no matter what even if WE are giving you NOTHING NEW we are going to charge you anyway (and NO the red herring of Any mobile and navi do not count since they are NOT WANTED) thats called a "strawman" argument.

thats my only problem. the changes should NOT be compulsory and retroactive. what is the POINT of a contract if sprint can just change it anytime they wish.

Last edited by nerys; 09-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

I'll have to keep my tp2 until it dies, and at that time, I'll buy another one or try out the samsung intrepid. I definitely wont be paying extra for android, though I might for the blackberry service.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

btw, sprint trying to get more from sero users claiming "data" is ridiculous since that was the price at inception where data phones were available. I had a Q9c, and that does most of what my TP2 does, minus the nice touch screen. Tether, email, text, web, apps. if anything, my price should be lower since I'm still using the now legacy system.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastro View Post
Doesn't really make financial sense to go from $35 bucks a month to $55 (I am including taxes) Thats a 30%+ jump for what? Sprint navigation and any mobile anytime. For someone who doesn't use there phone a lot for talking it doesn't make sense. I really dislike windows mobile, I trouble shoot it more then Windows XP. My touch Pro 2 is running a custom rom and its just amazing how slow SMS and the HTC sense 2.5 become. I look at droid and iphone and its no wonder that windows mobile has erroded over the last few years. Microsoft is a joke, and it amazed me the garbage products they put out. XP took years to become solid. I have to reboot daily which is beyone annoying.

This is obviously one of those things that either you do or you don't. Sprint upcharging 20 bucks for the EVO to Sero, I don't think its fair personally. If anything cell phone plans will continue to get cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't make sense to me.
I reboot daily not because I have to, but because it runs awesome if I do. Just use cleanram and set a schedule to reboot at 5am everyday, with the exception of mondays, I run spb backup which then reboots as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Ciege is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
thats my only problem. the changes should NOT be compulsory and retroactive. what is the POINT of a contract if sprint can just change it anytime they wish.
But you are wrong. They are not changing a contract and not compulsory. They are not making you get a new phone. You want to get a new phone that they offer, thus a new contract needs to be signed. While this new contract contains remnants of your old contract there are also now new stipulations that need to be adhered to (you want top-o-the-line, well here is what you must now pay)... They are not telling you to buy the best phone out there, in fact they have said you can keep your SERO and use *these* phones on it. YOUR CHOICE...

Don't get me wrong, I have SERO too but it is ridiculous to think that Sprint is changing your contract.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Ciege is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastro View Post
Someone on here pointed out that everyone and there mother wants smart phones now. You had a lot of great points. Only thing I will say is off course is that the more smartphones come online, the cheaper it SHOULD become. As technology catches on, prices drop. Cell phone companies are doing everything they can to protect there money streams. Verizon and AT&T are super powers that don't compete as far as pricing. The US is FAR behind European markets in terms of phones and pricing. While Europe is GSM, they have cheaper plans and don't have phones that are carrier locked. In other words there is much great offerings to customers.

Just to further eloborate, lets look at DVD players...again as more and more people started getting them, prices dropped. Cell phones the same thing. Eventually smart phones and there plans will also drop.

Also I think if you are SERO customer, yes we have a great deal and again like I said does it make financial sense to increase your costs by 30% to jump platforms, to me it doesn't. I hate/love windows mobile. I would never recommend it to anyone who wasn't a tweaker because out of the box the OS is a slug compared to either android and iphone. I am not a fanboy, I have owned a mogul, a touch pro, and now my touch pro 2. I am still on WM because I am paying roughly $35 bucks a month

Verizon, I get so angry at them everytime I remember that they started charging .25 cents for a text message. Greedy corporate giant...
I have 2 things to say to this.

1) Supply and demand... As demand goes up and supply is low, price is up. Demand is high (if you want a 4g phone) and supply is low (only so many 4g phones and 4g carriers out there) so, they get to charge what they want. Think of it as the early adopter fee.

2) DVD players are not a good example since you are paying for a physical piece of hardware, not the DVD service to go with it. With Sprint you are paying for the phone and the service. In this case this is a new service (4g) that is being built out. So there is a premium on using this service or buying a device that works with this service. Remember when Wireless N was still a spec in its infancy and companies we making cards for that spec, they charged more for the Wireless N cards than for the b/g cards, why?? It's a new service/product that they are offering and they need to recoup their R&D costs.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I am angry at the INABILITY or UNWILLINGNESS of some of the people on this forum to grasp this very simple very common issue for what it is.

What they are doing is WRONG and it should not be tolerated.
Seriously man, no one here is unable to understand this issue. You don't need more analogies, the logic is very simple. Everyone understands where you are coming from. No one wants to pay more by default... those who disagree with you are not "dumber". I've already stated that we SERO customers...old customers on a plan unavailable to anyone else, do not have anymore say. We can whine and moan about it, there will be people that support you, and those that oppose you. You are not going to be able to convince anyone with what you have been saying.

You keep saying it shouldn't be tolerated, what do you want to do? Should we all start a petition and complain? We aren't getting "dumber" because we aren't trying to rally and dispute every unfair act put on us by businesses. Some of it just isn't worth it...If you think $10 more is too much, then just don't upgrade? A "dumbphone" now is comparable or better than a smartphone 2-3 years ago. 2-3 years from now, there's a good chance that a good dumbphone will be a worthy upgrade from the TP2 and you'll be able to get it without increasing costs. So instead of thinking everyone here is too sympathetic and stupid....why don't you just agree that people all think differently and $10 a month isn't enough for some people to start complaining and grabbing their torches and pitchforks.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2