PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
I've got to disagree with you on this one. Portable BJ technology is here and feasible. My Wife is really portable, and is very good.
+1 your wife is good...
Just kidding of course, had to do it.
I agree with most of those specs but would like the 2.5ghz with 4.5in screen
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by one80oneday View Post
+1 your wife is good...
Just kidding of course, had to do it.
I agree with most of those specs but would like the 2.5ghz with 4.5in screen
LOL. As long as their is some cash left on the nightstand and my beer isn't gone from my fridge, I'm cool. heheh

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor

Man, you guys are asking for the impossible. You think with all those features Sprint will still keep things at $30? It's gonna add a $10 BJ fee, a $10 cooking fee, not to mention of course the $20 Iconic + 4G fee. By then you might as well get an iPhone to look hip and popular in front of the ladies and you'll be able to get those features from a real person
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beserker15 View Post
Man, you guys are asking for the impossible. You think with all those features Sprint will still keep things at $30? It's gonna add a $10 BJ fee, a $10 cooking fee, not to mention of course the $20 Iconic + 4G fee.
HAhA so true... except it won't be called a BJ fee, it'll be marketed as a premium customer service fee. But we will know what it really is.

What's gonna suck is those people that pay the $10 BJ fee but don't get any BJ service in their home market
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
So back on topic a bit here. I have SERO as most people in this thread do, and my contract is way past due and I have been going month to month. When this new plan arrives, will I be required to sign a new contract? And if so, will I get subsidized pricing on a new phone?

Also, what is the deal with phone insurance nowadays? I have the 7 dollar nonsense for the TP2, but there is like a 100 dollar fee now to actually use the insurance. What is the best deal insurance wise? I would like to have some measure of protection when I get a Epic or Evo, but the 7 dollars monthly plus 100 dollars to make a claim is starting to piss me off.
i don't even get the insurance. since one of my plan puts me at premiere status, i have the option to change phone every year. not worried about phone giving out on me since there's the 1 year warranty. so if i need to get my phone replaced, i get it the replacement via the device's warranty. but on my other line, i do have the TEP. just in case i need to get my device repaired. i just switch devices between lines if i need to bring one of them in for repairs.

oh and as for the mobile BJ...watch each state create a law that states you can't have your phone on your lap while driving

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

fcastro is just getting started

Doesn't really make financial sense to go from $35 bucks a month to $55 (I am including taxes) Thats a 30%+ jump for what? Sprint navigation and any mobile anytime. For someone who doesn't use there phone a lot for talking it doesn't make sense. I really dislike windows mobile, I trouble shoot it more then Windows XP. My touch Pro 2 is running a custom rom and its just amazing how slow SMS and the HTC sense 2.5 become. I look at droid and iphone and its no wonder that windows mobile has erroded over the last few years. Microsoft is a joke, and it amazed me the garbage products they put out. XP took years to become solid. I have to reboot daily which is beyone annoying.

This is obviously one of those things that either you do or you don't. Sprint upcharging 20 bucks for the EVO to Sero, I don't think its fair personally. If anything cell phone plans will continue to get cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: SprintTel

hi-tech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Ok, I'm going to jump right in here and point out something fundamental some of you seem to be missing.

Look at AT&T for a moment, and look at what their network was before the iPhone. They used to be a pretty decent carrier, with a strong data network and happy customers. Now, their network is literally crumbling, calls dropping, data speeds not maintaining their highs, etc...
iPhone users are complaining left and right, and everyone appears to be counting down for the iphone to hit "a better network, you know, like Verizon".
What many people are failing to realize is that this would likely happen to ANY network the iPhone launched on, even VZ. Why is that? One could argue that the iPhone doesn't use any more data than the Windows Mobile phones that have existed on AT&T for ages. Why all of the sudden does the iPhone crumble their network?

Simple. It brought heavy-usage to the public. Once upon a time it was just a percentage of geeks and power users (the kind who read this site, for example) who really knew how to make the most of the mobile web.
The iPhone suddenly made the mobile web accessible to everyone and their grandma (who doesn't even own a computer). Everyone's digging this new fangled wireless internet thing, and it caught on like fad.

But what happens when the "power users" are no longer just the geeks? That's what the Android and the WebOS devices did. They took the power of high end smart phones and made them available to the general public in a way that they never did before.
The end result? My mom had a Treo Pro, and hated it. Barely used it for anything beyond calls and texting. But she tried a Hero in the store, and was sold on it. Suddenly she wants to download apps, stream video, customize widgets, all the things she wasn't interested in doing before.

THIS is why Sprint had to change the rules. Because certain devices changed the way people use the networks limited resources. Its got nothing to do with you and how YOU use your phone. I mean, most of us have been using crazy amounts of data since day 1. That makes it very hard to understand why we suddenly have to pay more for the same services we had and the same usage we were getting from the beginning.
But the mistake we're making is in assuming everyone is like us. The plan restrictions were not put into effect because of people like us, but rather because of the balance between us and rest of SERO users wasn't playing nicely anymore.
Sure, to you and me, we're probably using the same amount of data as we were on WM for Android or WebOS, so it seems unfair. But we're not the standard. Windows Mobile is allowed on the old SERO because its not a mass market friendly device, and therefore not everyone who uses it knows how to use it like we do. Some people will use it alot, others for the bare basics. Therefore, it balances out somewhere. But if everyone on these new devices are using it like Power users, forcing Sprint to add capacity, then yeah- they need to charge more.

I don't like it, I don't think its necessarily "fair", but it makes sense. Its not unique to Sprint, either... Look at what the iPhone did to AT&T's data pricing. Devices that bring features to the mass market end up screwing up the bottom line on any carrier. I liked it better when it was just a handful of us "geeks" that knew how cool this stuff was. It was much more fun being in our own exclusive club. Ah well, Viva progress!
Well FUGGIN SAID....

Of all the crazy analogies goin' on in this thread with Gas, Cars, Buffet's etc..., this one hits the nail directly on the HEAD while staying on topic of cellphones and ACTUAL average usage. --An average user with a 1st gen WinMo phone vs an average user with an Android or Pre will definitely net MORE data usage on the Droid or Pre variant. --While a power user on WinMo vs Pre or Droid, will Net about the same or even more Data usage on average. Period.

Definitely liked it better when it was just us "geeks" using "smartphones," even if only for the coolness factor, but gotta love progress indeed

Last edited by hi-tech; 09-09-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastro View Post
Doesn't really make financial sense to go from $35 bucks a month to $55 (I am including taxes) Thats a 30%+ jump for what? Sprint navigation and any mobile anytime. For someone who doesn't use there phone a lot for talking it doesn't make sense. I really dislike windows mobile, I trouble shoot it more then Windows XP. My touch Pro 2 is running a custom rom and its just amazing how slow SMS and the HTC sense 2.5 become. I look at droid and iphone and its no wonder that windows mobile has erroded over the last few years. Microsoft is a joke, and it amazed me the garbage products they put out. XP took years to become solid. I have to reboot daily which is beyone annoying.

This is obviously one of those things that either you do or you don't. Sprint upcharging 20 bucks for the EVO to Sero, I don't think its fair personally. If anything cell phone plans will continue to get cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't make sense to me.
Taxes and fees vary by state, so its not fair to use that formula. FWIW, my bill is a hair under $41/mnth(including TEP ofcourse). Once I choose to upgrade, I will be paying anywhere from $52-$64/mnth. I dont think we will ever see those figures from the other carriers (even if TMO beats the Sprint rates, I cant find myself drawn to their coverage map). Besides, what will $40/mnth get you with any competitor now-days?

I wouldnt consider WM platform garbage. You are talking about a platform that is almost a decade old, ofcourse its bogged down and dated (you dont see anyone running 2000 Pro or ME anymore, do you?). I'll agree, it is painfully slow compared to the iPhone or Android; but personally, I find myself right at home with the UI.
After playing with the epic for a few days now, I feel like Android is a diluted OS when compared to WM. I find the settings menu to be quite a clusterf**k, and it still doesnt have the options I'm looking for. Oh, and whats the deal with having to manually enable/disable radios every time I exit a program that requests use of the antenna(ie: GPS, WiFi, 4G)?
Now I'm not saying WM is better than Android, they both have their drawbacks; but after playing with a powerful Android device, my anticipation for WP7 has grown considerably. Considering how strict Microsoft's hardware/software requirements(and intuitive dev kit) is for their upcoming platform, I feel we will have a very capable competitor in the near future.

PS: Us legacy SERO users have become quite the spoiled brats. To this day, I cant believe how lucky I am to get in on such a great deal. Even my friends with their shiny new Evo's, iPhones, and Droids are still very envious of my monthly rate. Heck they occasionally throw me offers to get me to swap plans
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

fcastro is just getting started

Someone on here pointed out that everyone and there mother wants smart phones now. You had a lot of great points. Only thing I will say is off course is that the more smartphones come online, the cheaper it SHOULD become. As technology catches on, prices drop. Cell phone companies are doing everything they can to protect there money streams. Verizon and AT&T are super powers that don't compete as far as pricing. The US is FAR behind European markets in terms of phones and pricing. While Europe is GSM, they have cheaper plans and don't have phones that are carrier locked. In other words there is much great offerings to customers.

Just to further eloborate, lets look at DVD players...again as more and more people started getting them, prices dropped. Cell phones the same thing. Eventually smart phones and there plans will also drop.

Also I think if you are SERO customer, yes we have a great deal and again like I said does it make financial sense to increase your costs by 30% to jump platforms, to me it doesn't. I hate/love windows mobile. I would never recommend it to anyone who wasn't a tweaker because out of the box the OS is a slug compared to either android and iphone. I am not a fanboy, I have owned a mogul, a touch pro, and now my touch pro 2. I am still on WM because I am paying roughly $35 bucks a month

Verizon, I get so angry at them everytime I remember that they started charging .25 cents for a text message. Greedy corporate giant...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beserker15 View Post
Man, you guys are asking for the impossible. You think with all those features Sprint will still keep things at $30? It's gonna add a $10 BJ fee, a $10 cooking fee, not to mention of course the $20 Iconic + 4G fee. By then you might as well get an iPhone to look hip and popular in front of the ladies and you'll be able to get those features from a real person
Even with the extra fees, the sero is still cheaper than any iphone plan. Att still charges 20 for text and 10 for nav on top of their basic $40 plan. I like the iphone but that is still a horrible plan.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2