PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Google Nexus by Verizon
Carrier: Verizon

JDwg78 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: (¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- 'Energy' |May 9| 21903|23569 -.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious View Post
Push-opera is a battery drain, but people want the "cool" thumbnails on the sense internet tab. Can't have it both ways.
There's also a lot of other "automatic" internet updating turned on by default - weather, facebook, twitter, e-mail - these all use lots of battery, and RAM too.
Turning off or reducing the frequency of any or all of these will improve battery life and RAM usage as well.
A stock ROM with these features active has even worse battery life in my experience.
We all want TONS of cutting edge features with minimal battery drain and RAM usage, but it just isn't going to happen.
Energyz is a ROM chef, not some sort of magician. You still have the same battery and the same amount of RAM, in fact that and the radio are the only things that haven't changed.
My battery lasts a few days if I need it to now that I disabled most of the auto-internet and stopped playing with it all the time, without any "battery saver" cabs.
In fact I seem to get better battery life every day as the new-ROM effect wears off and my phone gets "normal" everyday usage.

A quick search (ppcgeeks, xda-dev, www) will find a wealth of tips and tricks about when and how often to charge or not charge a Li-ion battery.

Thanks Energyz.
If you use Internet Explorer as your default web browser, you get cool web-paged filled in short cuts anyways on that browser page so I never was lacking a nice look on that page. It's only if you use Opera that you need Internet Push to give you those pretty pages. Just use MSIE :P
Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G - TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Riptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Riptide9
Re: (¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- 'Energy' |May 9| 21903|23569 -.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·

Quote:
Push-opera is a battery drain, but people want the "cool" thumbnails on the sense internet tab. Can't have it both ways.
A couple of things you can do:

With Internet Push disabled - Install older Opera, get your thumbnails to show and then reinstall v10 (thumbnails will stay)

With Internet Push disabled - With the default v10 Opera installed. I have found that when I have all my shortcuts setup on the Ineternet tab... then I go to IE and pull up those shortcuts from the favorites (star) menu... they end up showing the thumbnails in the tab.

On the new roms with Internet Push Enabled - just setup you shortcuts showing the thumbnails and then install the nopushinternet cab file.
Attached Files
File Type: cab 01_NoPushInternet_v2.CAB (59.5 KB, 52 views) Click for barcode!
Hit the Thanks! or your phone will turn into an iPhone and all the other kids will point and laugh at you!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

pmatthewsatiug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpmatthewsatiug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpmatthewsatiug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpmatthewsatiug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewahlrus View Post
I had a strange occurrence today, it only happened once. I tried to answer a call and the phone froze, I couldn't answer it. I have not done the data timeout reg edit. I had to soft reset. When it came back up the sound didn't work. I could call out, but no sound came from the earpiece and when I changed volume there was no sound from the speaker. Soft reset again and everything was fine. I did Task 29 and hard reset before this flash. I have not plugged in headphones or used bluetooth.

Hopefully an isolated incident, I haven't seen anything like this mentioned.

May 9th Cookie 23***
I've had something similar happen three times now. Also May 9th Cookie 23***. I don't know if that makes a trend, but I didn't have any issues like that with the May 4 23***.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: SPRINT

Masterface7 is keeping up the good workMasterface7 is keeping up the good workMasterface7 is keeping up the good work

Hi, I am having a problem with opera. I can seem to get the zoom bar to work with it I tried to apply this fix
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=826
but the opera9.exe is marked as read only and can not be renamed. Can anyone help me get the zoombar working?
Programs: PocketIRC, Total Commander, Sprint Arcsoft MMS, Mocha FTP, GCzII, Groovemobile, Dotfred Taskmgr, Resco Radio, Kbd Controller, Explorer ext., Opera Mobile, Opera Mini 5, Skyfire, Bing, Azgard Tower defense, Palm Heros
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium Touch Pro2

bsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
A couple of things you can do:

With Internet Push disabled - Install older Opera, get your thumbnails to show and then reinstall v10 (thumbnails will stay)

With Internet Push disabled - With the default v10 Opera installed. I have found that when I have all my shortcuts setup on the Ineternet tab... then I go to IE and pull up those shortcuts from the favorites (star) menu... they end up showing the thumbnails in the tab.

On the new roms with Internet Push Enabled - just setup you shortcuts showing the thumbnails and then install the nopushinternet cab file.
Have you had any issues with that cab? I installed it last night on a new flash after I had my phone set up fully. Now I can't get any new emails. ActiveSync just tells me it's waiting for the network and "Windows Live was unable to establish an internet connection".. I was running late to a meeting I was scheduled for this morning at 8. So I frantically got ready for work and hauled ass to get there. When I finally got there, out of breath, my boss told me he resceduled for 1:30. Never got the email until I turned my laptop on and had a full inbox. Does the no-Push Internet cab disable ActiveSync? I know it could be an issue with the exchange server, but it's too close of a coincidence to assume it's anything other than the cab screwing things up. Is there some steps I missed? If anyone has had the same issue or is aware of a fix, please let me know.

Quote:
There's also a lot of other "automatic" internet updating turned on by default - weather, facebook, twitter, e-mail - these all use lots of battery, and RAM too.
Turning off or reducing the frequency of any or all of these will improve battery life and RAM usage as well.
A stock ROM with these features active has even worse battery life in my experience.
We all want TONS of cutting edge features with minimal battery drain and RAM usage, but it just isn't going to happen. Energyz is a ROM chef, not some sort of magician. You still have the same battery and the same amount of RAM, in fact that and the radio are the only things that haven't changed. My battery lasts a few days if I need it to now that I disabled most of the auto-internet and stopped playing with it all the time, without any "battery saver" cabs. In fact I seem to get better battery life every day as the new-ROM effect wears off and my phone gets "normal" everyday usage.

A quick search (ppcgeeks, xda-dev, www) will find a wealth of tips and tricks about when and how often to charge or not charge a Li-ion battery.

Thanks Energyz.
I agree with you to a point. I agree that people want all the cool new sht without any negative side effects that come with them, like lower battery life. The only reason I mentioned it was because I have never used the internet tab. I always have hidden it. I was using the Opera10 home screen that gives me all my main websites. On the next release, I'm going to play around with the internet tab, especially if NRG thinks it is important/cool enough to change something as big as Internet Push. From what I've read so far, the point of it is to allow your favorite websites to stay fresh and updated so that whenever you want to access them, they are instantly available and up-to-date. Does that sound right? What, other than speed (maybe one minute longer?) does that do? Why would you really need that, unless you are trading stocks, which you probably wouldn't be doing on your phone anyway. Don't get upset either. I just want to know what is the benefit of activating Internet Push so maybe I will see a use for it in later ROMs.

Another reason, for me, that the battery life is no issue is that I have a wall charger next to my bed, behind my couch, next to the toilet, in my truck, two at work, and I always have my laptop available. So, for me, the battery life issue is not one. I just like to see how things affect the performance so that we can all work together to make it perform better. NRG is not a magician, but with the thousands of followers' help, he could look like one
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Riptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarlo View Post
Have you had any issues with that cab? I installed it last night on a new flash after I had my phone set up fully. Now I can't get any new emails. ActiveSync just tells me it's waiting for the network and "Windows Live was unable to establish an internet connection".. I was running late to a meeting I was scheduled for this morning at 8. So I frantically got ready for work and hauled ass to get there. When I finally got there, out of breath, my boss told me he resceduled for 1:30. Never got the email until I turned my laptop on and had a full inbox. Does the no-Push Internet cab disable ActiveSync? I know it could be an issue with the exchange server, but it's too close of a coincidence to assume it's anything other than the cab screwing things up. Is there some steps I missed? If anyone has had the same issue or is aware of a fix, please let me know.

I use that cab with every rom since January with no issues. It is actually the first cab installed by Sashimi after every flash which is why it was named 01_
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium Touch Pro2

bsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I use that cab with every rom since January with no issues. It is actually the first cab installed by Sashimi after every flash which is why it was named 01_
Do you use Exchange? Also, do you still use the battery fix cabs that you helped test and develop? Any chance you could PM me your cab lst? I want to make sure I don't have anything different that would affect things. I probably don't because my cab list is really small. Since you have never had a problem, I could just set my phone up similar to your set-up. It'll be easier for me to use that set-up as a control too. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarlo View Post
Do you use Exchange? Also, do you still use the battery fix cabs that you helped test and develop? Any chance you could PM me your cab lst? I want to make sure I don't have anything different that would affect things. I probably don't because my cab list is really small. Since you have never had a problem, I could just set my phone up similar to your set-up. It'll be easier for me to use that set-up as a control too. Thanks.
Yes I use exchange.
I use some of the fixes for battery and a bunch of regedits
Cab list - I use Sashimi and it takes about 10min to run after I flash and everything is setup and ready to go

Here is a screenshot of my Sashimi Cabs (minus the games)

This is only to 29 the rest are just games... This is also just the Auto folder. When this is done I run a few cabs manually (i am going to put these into the auto section... just have to decide which order)

Here are the reg files that get done by Sashimi

Auto

And my Manual folder (i sync my contacts before I do any of these)

I would be more than happy to zip all my cabs up for you... Just let me know

FYI - I also run Task29 everytime before I flash a new rom.

Last edited by Riptide9; 05-13-2010 at 02:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Yes I use exchange.
I use some of the fixes for battery and a bunch of regedits
Cab list - I use Sashimi and it takes about 10min to run after I flash and everything is setup and ready to go

Here is a screenshot of my Sashimi Cabs (minus the games)
Wow, that is quite a list, and I thought I had a lot. Do you ever change the reg entries if you change ROM chefs/Windows builds (say from 21xxx to 23xxx)? I love Sashimi. While XDA_UC and Settings Exporter are nice and can be used in conjunction with Sashimi, I cannot see ever moving away from Sashimi.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
Wow, that is quite a list, and I thought I had a lot. Do you ever change the reg entries if you change ROM chefs/Windows builds (say from 21xxx to 23xxx)? I love Sashimi. While XDA_UC and Settings Exporter are nice and can be used in conjunction with Sashimi, I cannot see ever moving away from Sashimi.
Yes, sometimes... the tab order one will mess you up if not careful. When NRGZ added the Facebook tab I hosed my install and had to reflash. If there is no change in the amount of tabs your ok. I have Sashimi set up just right for me, so I don't think I could ever go away from it. A huge timesaver

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development