View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
bsarlo
PPCGeeks Regular

bsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbsarlo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: (¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- 'Energy' |May 9| 21903|23569 -.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
A couple of things you can do:

With Internet Push disabled - Install older Opera, get your thumbnails to show and then reinstall v10 (thumbnails will stay)

With Internet Push disabled - With the default v10 Opera installed. I have found that when I have all my shortcuts setup on the Ineternet tab... then I go to IE and pull up those shortcuts from the favorites (star) menu... they end up showing the thumbnails in the tab.

On the new roms with Internet Push Enabled - just setup you shortcuts showing the thumbnails and then install the nopushinternet cab file.
Have you had any issues with that cab? I installed it last night on a new flash after I had my phone set up fully. Now I can't get any new emails. ActiveSync just tells me it's waiting for the network and "Windows Live was unable to establish an internet connection".. I was running late to a meeting I was scheduled for this morning at 8. So I frantically got ready for work and hauled ass to get there. When I finally got there, out of breath, my boss told me he resceduled for 1:30. Never got the email until I turned my laptop on and had a full inbox. Does the no-Push Internet cab disable ActiveSync? I know it could be an issue with the exchange server, but it's too close of a coincidence to assume it's anything other than the cab screwing things up. Is there some steps I missed? If anyone has had the same issue or is aware of a fix, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious View Post
Push-opera is a battery drain, but people want the "cool" thumbnails on the sense internet tab. Can't have it both ways.
There's also a lot of other "automatic" internet updating turned on by default - weather, facebook, twitter, e-mail - these all use lots of battery, and RAM too.
Turning off or reducing the frequency of any or all of these will improve battery life and RAM usage as well.
A stock ROM with these features active has even worse battery life in my experience.
We all want TONS of cutting edge features with minimal battery drain and RAM usage, but it just isn't going to happen. Energyz is a ROM chef, not some sort of magician. You still have the same battery and the same amount of RAM, in fact that and the radio are the only things that haven't changed. My battery lasts a few days if I need it to now that I disabled most of the auto-internet and stopped playing with it all the time, without any "battery saver" cabs. In fact I seem to get better battery life every day as the new-ROM effect wears off and my phone gets "normal" everyday usage.

A quick search (ppcgeeks, xda-dev, www) will find a wealth of tips and tricks about when and how often to charge or not charge a Li-ion battery.

Thanks Energyz.
I agree with you to a point. I agree that people want all the cool new sht without any negative side effects that come with them, like lower battery life. The only reason I mentioned it was because I have never used the internet tab. I always have hidden it. I was using the Opera10 home screen that gives me all my main websites. On the next release, I'm going to play around with the internet tab, especially if NRG thinks it is important/cool enough to change something as big as Internet Push. From what I've read so far, the point of it is to allow your favorite websites to stay fresh and updated so that whenever you want to access them, they are instantly available and up-to-date. Does that sound right? What, other than speed (maybe one minute longer?) does that do? Why would you really need that, unless you are trading stocks, which you probably wouldn't be doing on your phone anyway. Don't get upset either. I just want to know what is the benefit of activating Internet Push so maybe I will see a use for it in later ROMs.

Another reason, for me, that the battery life is no issue is that I have a wall charger next to my bed, behind my couch, next to the toilet, in my truck, two at work, and I always have my laptop available. So, for me, the battery life issue is not one. I just like to see how things affect the performance so that we can all work together to make it perform better. NRG is not a magician, but with the thousands of followers' help, he could look like one
This post has been thanked 1 times.