PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM | Eclair | *Updated | 6/18/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerathalis View Post
Thanks for the response I'm new to the whole andoird world, came over from winmo. Sorry for being a newb at this.

Understood on the 1.4 part.

I had a bit of an adventure trying to get to 1.4.

The funny thing is I selected to download 1.4 in rom manager with the new radio, it did the download and flash thing and then the radio showed as upgraded but the software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version. (Queman was removed so it was hard to tell if it was a good flash)

So I went back and tried to flash it manually, and I downloaded 1.4 and flashed and got the same results with the latest Clockworkmod recovery console.

Next step was I went back to the base sprint rom with an RUU. Followed the steps in: "EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos" did the data wipe 2x dalvik-cache 2x etc and the first boot after the flash of OMJ 1.4 r.zip, the device showed 1.3 in the software info. Then things went wrong, next boot sdcard said it was removed and to put in a new one, USB wasn't being detected.

I sdcard and usb bricked my device. So some really handy steps by Calkulin and I got USB back up and now I'm sitting back at the stock sprint rom.

From File: RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_rele ase_171253_signed.exe

-

Any suggestions on the best steps to upto OMJ 1.4? Does it sound like I messed up on the nand unlock or are there better steps to follow?
If it's "bricked" there is nothing you can do.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice View Post
so...OMJ, if we have the premium rom manager will we now get automatic updates to the rom OTA ?

also, is there any possible way to enable HDMI output for all applications? this is ridiculous that it will only work with youtube and gallery. for instance the newly available Slingplayer app will not work with HDMI out and this is a big problem for me. any way you could fix it would rule.
re: rom manager: well thats what the developer said, he said it checks every night @ midnight. Now I have the premium version, and I did not get a notification @ or after midnight stating there was an update. It may be because I had already did a manual check for update, so the program may have known I already knew about it. I'm getting ready to flash again, so we'll see what happens tonight. I'll also clarify w/ the developer.

Does anyone have the premium version of rom manager & can comment if they rec'd a notice of a update?

I'm sure in time there will be a hack for HDMI out for everything, but I havent heard of one yet.

Quote:
Thanks for the response I'm new to the whole andoird world, came over from winmo. Sorry for being a newb at this.

Understood on the 1.4 part.

The funny thing is I selected to download 1.4 in rom manager with the new radio, it did the download and flash thing and then the radio showed as upgraded but the software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version. (Queman was removed so it was hard to tell if it was a good flash)

So I went back and tried to flash it manually, and I downloaded 1.4 and flashed and got the same results with the latest Clockworkmod recovery console.

Next step was I went back to the base sprint rom with an RUU. Followed the steps in: "EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos" did the data wipe 2x dalvik-cache 2x etc and the first boot after the flash of OMJ 1.4 r.zip, the device showed 1.3 in the software info. Then things went wrong, next boot sdcard said it was removed and to put in a new one, USB wasn't being detected.

I sdcard and usb bricked my device. So some really handy steps by Calkulin and I got USB back up and now I'm sitting back at the stock sprint rom.

From File: RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_rele ase_171253_signed.exe

-

Any suggestions on the best steps to upto OMJ 1.4? Does it sound like I messed up on the nand unlock or are there better steps to follow?
no worries, most of us are Android noobs, even me....

when u say "software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version", where were u looking? in the Rom manager? if so, it's possible u wont see your current rom if u dont have the premium version. can anyone else comment?

it really doesnt sound like u did anything wrong....not sure why u went back to stock...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G (SPRINT)

cerathalis is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
re: rom manager: well thats what the developer said, he said it checks every night @ midnight. Now I have the premium version, and I did not get a notification @ or after midnight stating there was an update. It may be because I had already did a manual check for update, so the program may have known I already knew about it. I'm getting ready to flash again, so we'll see what happens tonight. I'll also clarify w/ the developer.

Does anyone have the premium version of rom manager & can comment if they rec'd a notice of a update?

I'm sure in time there will be a hack for HDMI out for everything, but I havent heard of one yet.

no worries, most of us are Android noobs, even me....

when u say "software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version", where were u looking? in the Rom manager? if so, it's possible u wont see your current rom if u dont have the premium version. can anyone else comment?

it really doesnt sound like u did anything wrong....not sure why u went back to stock...
I went back to stock because I just got through SD and USB bricking the device and figured it was time to ask questions and figure out what I did before I ended up with a real brick. That and if it flaked out in a hardware way it would have been easier to return.

I was looking for 1.4 by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Software number

It kept showing Software Number: 1.32.651.6 OMJ

I expected that to reflect the 1.4 numbering. Either way something went wrong following those instructions.

-

Do you know of a post that describes what the nand is or talks about the flash_image / recovery.img / and adb are? I'm trying to wrap my head around what goes where, what its responsible for etc to figure out why I bricked it so I can avoid future mistakes.

Would it be wise to follow the instructions on http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714 . I'm trying to figure out the best way to get OMJ 1.4 up and have the rom manager software working so updating is a snap.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Hi OMJ. ran the rom for 2 days. Very solid! Can't wait to see how things develop on the Evo. Man flashing in android is so easy and fast!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G (SPRINT)

cerathalis is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
If it's "bricked" there is nothing you can do.

CW
There is a state where you can mess up the SD card and USB on the phone and its called SD or USB Brick on a few forums. Its not like won't boot bricked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695243

That is how I got out of that spot, at first I thought the SD card msg meant the card went bad, so I tried a different card same results. It just keeps saying your card has been removed and to insert another one.

And the USB part you plug your cable in while the phone is one and it won't charge or notice the USB is plugged in.

Lucky for me another guy at work has an evo so using his phone to put data on my card I did the card recovery using the android sdk tools, and then did the local host connection with ConnectBot and typed in the commands to get those files in place to fix the USB.

From that point I used the RUU to go back to a stock rom. So I'm at square 1 with a clean SD card and hopefully ready to root move on to awesome roms like OMJ's. But before I do that I want to read up learn a bit and figure out what went wrong last time.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Understood on the 1.4 part
The funny thing is I selected to download 1.4 in rom manager with the new radio, it did the download and flash thing and then the radio showed as upgraded but the software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version. (Queman was removed so it was hard to tell if it was a good flash
Quote:
I went back to stock because I just got through SD and USB bricking the device and figured it was time to ask questions and figure out what I did before I ended up with a real brick. That and if it flaked out in a hardware way it would have been easier to return.
I was looking for 1.4 by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Software number
I expected that to reflect the 1.4 numbering. Either way something went wrong following those instructions.
Do you know of a post that describes what the nand is or talks about the flash_image / recovery.img / and adb are? I'm trying to wrap my head around what goes where, what its responsible for etc to figure out why I bricked it so I can avoid future mistakes.
Would it be wise to follow the instructions on http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714 . I'm trying to figure out the best way to get OMJ 1.4 up and have the rom manager software working so updating is a snap.
Hey Bro, you were fine with that software number. I'm on v1.4 and my software number is the same as yours.
I'm not speaking for OMJ but that number is the Sprint ROM off of which OMJ bases his ROM. The v1.4 is the ROM version, that's all. I could understand why you'd think the way you did though.
As far as I can tell any issues you had were related to the SD/USB bricking and you've fixed that.

IMO you will not find better instructions (and video) of the root process-including Nand bypass than FastRX8's thread which I think you linked.
Yes, I'm all over that thread helping out but I had nothing to do with it's creation, ALL the credit goest to Fast.

EDIT: flash_image and recovery image are simply the files used to complete full root. People much smarter than me created them so I just know their function.
adb is the program that we use in Adroid to write code to move files, make mods etc. There are some great threads over at xda that give a intro.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:

-

no, the software version will not show 1.4....you had a good flash, then went back to stock, and that's where u ran into issues.

yes, those instructions are the ones to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Hi OMJ. ran the rom for 2 days. Very solid! Can't wait to see how things develop on the Evo. Man flashing in android is so easy and fast!
cool man....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

r.mauldin is becoming a great contributor

OMJ, I have ROM Manager Premium v2.0 and it did not tell me I had an update until I opened the program. As soon as the Rom Manager started a had a pop up that said there was one available. Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
OMJ, I have ROM Manager Premium v2.0 and it did not tell me I had an update until I opened the program. As soon as the Rom Manager started a had a pop up that said there was one available. Hope that helps.
thx for the info, so it sounds like you have to open the app to get the notification
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

well I flashed several times trying to get wifi tether to work out of the gate, but it would not...I even rebuilt the kitchen. I can though, uninstall & manually re-install ok.

in the process, here are some updates for next rom:

-removed bootup sounds
-updated to latest google maps
-updated to latest rom manager
-changed default internet homepage
-added PPCGEEKS bookmark
-removed sprint hotspot

I think that's it for now, I'm sure there will be more to come
This post has been thanked 7 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development