View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
iknowsquat
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM | Eclair | *Updated | 6/18/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerathalis View Post
Thanks for the response I'm new to the whole andoird world, came over from winmo. Sorry for being a newb at this.
Understood on the 1.4 part
I had a bit of an adventure trying to get to 1.4.
The funny thing is I selected to download 1.4 in rom manager with the new radio, it did the download and flash thing and then the radio showed as upgraded but the software info for the rom didn't show the 1.4 version. (Queman was removed so it was hard to tell if it was a good flash
So I went back and tried to flash it manually, and I downloaded 1.4 and flashed and got the same results with the latest Clockworkmod recovery console.
Next step was I went back to the base sprint rom with an RUU. Followed the steps in: "EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos" did the data wipe 2x dalvik-cache 2x etc and the first boot after the flash of OMJ 1.4 r.zip, the device showed 1.3 in the software info. Then things went wrong, next boot sdcard said it was removed and to put in a new one, USB wasn't being detected.
I sdcard and usb bricked my device. So some really handy steps by Calkulin and I got USB back up and now I'm sitting back at the stock sprint rom.
From File: RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_rele ase_171253_signed.exe
Any suggestions on the best steps to upto OMJ 1.4? Does it sound like I messed up on the nand unlock or are there better steps to follow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerathalis View Post
I went back to stock because I just got through SD and USB bricking the device and figured it was time to ask questions and figure out what I did before I ended up with a real brick. That and if it flaked out in a hardware way it would have been easier to return.
I was looking for 1.4 by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Software number
It kept showing Software Number: 1.32.651.6 OMJ
I expected that to reflect the 1.4 numbering. Either way something went wrong following those instructions.
Do you know of a post that describes what the nand is or talks about the flash_image / recovery.img / and adb are? I'm trying to wrap my head around what goes where, what its responsible for etc to figure out why I bricked it so I can avoid future mistakes.
Would it be wise to follow the instructions on http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714 . I'm trying to figure out the best way to get OMJ 1.4 up and have the rom manager software working so updating is a snap.
Hey Bro, you were fine with that software number. I'm on v1.4 and my software number is the same as yours.
I'm not speaking for OMJ but that number is the Sprint ROM off of which OMJ bases his ROM. The v1.4 is the ROM version, that's all. I could understand why you'd think the way you did though.
As far as I can tell any issues you had were related to the SD/USB bricking and you've fixed that.

IMO you will not find better instructions (and video) of the root process-including Nand bypass than FastRX8's thread which I think you linked.
Yes, I'm all over that thread helping out but I had nothing to do with it's creation, ALL the credit goest to Fast.

EDIT: flash_image and recovery image are simply the files used to complete full root. People much smarter than me created them so I just know their function.
adb is the program that we use in Adroid to write code to move files, make mods etc. There are some great threads over at xda that give a intro.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.