PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: SPRINT

htcJohn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.5 | FroYo 3.70.651.1 | *Updated 1/23/10*

Have any of you all notice that the 4.4 & 4.5 kills your battery? I was using 4.2 i recall and when I switched over to 4.4, i went right back to 4.2. I waited for 4.5 and the same thing: it kills my battery so quick. I have a 3500ma seido battery and with the 4.2 I can go all day without it denting the battery. I don't go even have a day (less than 4hrs) and I'm down to 67%. Anyone else notice this? I might have to switch back to 4.2 rom. I love the speed of the 4.5 though.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

chas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcJohn View Post
Have any of you all notice that the 4.4 & 4.5 kills your battery? I was using 4.2 i recall and when I switched over to 4.4, i went right back to 4.2. I waited for 4.5 and the same thing: it kills my battery so quick. I have a 3500ma seido battery and with the 4.2 I can go all day without it denting the battery. I don't go even have a day (less than 4hrs) and I'm down to 67%. Anyone else notice this? I might have to switch back to 4.2 rom. I love the speed of the 4.5 though.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing on 4.5. I am currently running 4.2.
Some things seemed buggy on 4.5 as well. It was fast though. I wish I had another evo so I could compare side by side. Apps would start immediately when you hit the shortcut even if they hadn't been running in the background. Boot time was alot faster also.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

CYNICALifornia is just getting started

Quote:
OMJ swears (and I believe him) that 4.5 delivers good abttery life for his Evo. I, on the otherhand, and having something like the same experience you are. But I LOVE 4.5 so I have made some accomadations to give a little better battery.

~I use 5 email accounts on my phone. I set all but one to check their mail at 0500, then only check manually (when I open the account) after that. The other one I have check every hour.

~I set all other syncing apps (weather, etc) to sync as infrequently as is convinient. A manual sync is not hard to do, and why waste power syncing if I'm not looking at my phone anyway, right?

~I downgraded my PRI and NV to 1.77. There have been some reports of the latest PRI and NV (1.90) causing drain. This was the recommended action and seemed to help. (For radios go here)

~I bought SetCPU and a profile to uinderclock my phone when the screen is off.

~I clean my cache every day

None of these are new ideas, but I have found them useful. Hope it helps.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / TP / TP2

JohnBecker is keeping up the good workJohnBecker is keeping up the good work

Update ... After reflashing from 4.5 to 4.4 to 4.5, it seems to fix my reboot issue. It was really strange. It only reset on me once today, but that was because the BT disconnected and I used Vlingo this morning. It always resets if the BT disconnects (buggy software).

As for battery life. I have to say this. I use my phone from 6am til 6pm every day with my BT in my ear. I get the same battery life no matter what rom I'm using (pretty much). Depending on the number of a calls (and length) and tethering, I might have to charge in the car a bit on the road. It's no more than what I had with my TP2 phone. I'm happy with the battery life mainly because I got a big phone and it does what I want.

A new BT stack would be nice. Tired of having it cut off when giving me direction.

HOWEVER ... I do have one question. Where is Titanium Backup on this ROM? After flashing 30 times, I can guarantee it's not in either 4.4 or 4.5. I had to download it to restore my settings. It does not show up in the menu. Also ... reinstalling the removed apps seems to be an impossible task. Nothing I did would get Footprints back. It won't flash, moved it to /system (no go)... dunno what to do next. Even tried a flashable version that someone posted. It said it was corrupt and invalid. So I gave up.

EVO 4G ... after 8 years of Windows Mobile devices, I've given up on WM toys and switched to Android. This is the way mobile should have been!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
Yeah, I noticed the same thing on 4.5. I am currently running 4.2.
Some things seemed buggy on 4.5 as well. It was fast though. I wish I had another evo so I could compare side by side. Apps would start immediately when you hit the shortcut even if they hadn't been running in the background. Boot time was alot faster also.
I have been using OMJ roms (or at least using them as a base and tweaking them) since my Vogue days and like Cynical said..

If OMJ says it... you can pretty much take it to the bank! He always does an excellent job of testing before he releases anything to us. I can promise you if anyone is having battery problems it is not a function of the rom. It's going to come down to the phone (diff phones behave differently with varrying kernels, but the HTC one that is used will be most consistent for all phones), the various settings you have set on your phone, and various user usage which is very subjective. ie.. what one person may call moderate usage may mean something entirely different to what another user may consider moderate usage.

I have the Sprint 2600 ext battery on my phone. I just had a 23 hr layover in Canada so my phone was on a roaming signal, data turned off, wifi turned on with a crappy single bar signal and literally spent about 8 hrs sitting in my room watching tv in the background as I steadily went b/t tapatalk and dolphin catching up on a bunch of reading all the while also downloading crap, extracing said crap, flashing zips and learning to use metamorph... and multiple re-boots. On this day I took my phone off the charger at about 0530 am, flew two legs (phone in airplane mode but still on and messed with it some in cruise flight), then got into Canada around noon, and then messed with it as described above and by 10 pm that night I had about 17% battery left.

Today it came off the charger at about 0545 am, did not bump charge it at all. For 8 hrs today it was in airplane mode but two of those hours I was in the back of the plane messing with it non-stop. For the rest of the time when I was on the ground I made a few phone calls, sent a few texts, did probably 1.5 hrs of surfing or so and as I sit here right now at 0930 pm I have 43% battery left... almost 16 hrs off charger.

I am using stock kernel and do not have set cpu set up or running at all.
- Always on mobile data is turned off
- Google Talk is signed off and set to not automatically sign in
- Weather updates every three hrs (and everytime I come out of airplane mode of course)
- FB for HTC Sense updates once a day
- Cache cleaner runs once a day (have no idea if this matters but somebody mentioned it so I thought I would)
- Google set to always sync calendar and contacts but mail set to manual
- No syncing of news or stocks (don't use it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBecker View Post
Update ... After reflashing from 4.5 to 4.4 to 4.5, it seems to fix my reboot issue. It was really strange. It only reset on me once today, but that was because the BT disconnected and I used Vlingo this morning. It always resets if the BT disconnects (buggy software).

As for battery life. I have to say this. I use my phone from 6am til 6pm every day with my BT in my ear. I get the same battery life no matter what rom I'm using (pretty much). Depending on the number of a calls (and length) and tethering, I might have to charge in the car a bit on the road. It's no more than what I had with my TP2 phone. I'm happy with the battery life mainly because I got a big phone and it does what I want.

A new BT stack would be nice. Tired of having it cut off when giving me direction.

HOWEVER ... I do have one question. Where is Titanium Backup on this ROM? After flashing 30 times, I can guarantee it's not in either 4.4 or 4.5. I had to download it to restore my settings. It does not show up in the menu. Also ... reinstalling the removed apps seems to be an impossible task. Nothing I did would get Footprints back. It won't flash, moved it to /system (no go)... dunno what to do next. Even tried a flashable version that someone posted. It said it was corrupt and invalid. So I gave up.
Actually I can guarantee you that it is in 4.5... simply open the rom zip and navigate to the folder /data/app and you will see this "com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup-2.apk" this is TB and it is in the rom.

As far as the apks in removed apps... both Aamikam and OMJ have stated that in order for them to work they must be pushed to your phone with ADB... Now, I have found that this is not 100% true but that method will ALWAYS work. I don't know enough about ADB but I'm guessing that when it pushes a file to the /system/app folder that is modifys the apks permissions. To make these files work without pushing them with ADB is a pain in the ass but it is possible with Root Explorer. It took me much trial and error while out on the road with nothing but my phone and no computer to use ADB but here is what you need to do...

1. Copy the file with Root Explorer from the sd card
2. Navigate to /system/app and mount the sys as R/W
3. Paste the file in /system/app (after re-mounting as R/W)
4. Now once the file is pasted in /system/app and with the sys still mounted as R/W, long press on the apk and select permissions
5. On the Group line, uncheck write and execute
6. On the Others line, uncheck execute
7. On the User line, check Read and Write
8. Hit ok, so long as the sys is still mounted R/W it will actually change the files permissions

**So basicall you only want 4 things checked; User - Read and Write, Group - Read, and Others - Read***

9. Not sure if it is needed but each time at this point I boot into recovery and wipe cache and Dalvik-cache
10. Re-boot

When the phone boots you will now have footprints installed and working properly on your phone!

Hope that helped!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Lurker

htcJohn is a n00b

You are correct... Each platform and use of the phone is different... You still can't argue though... that my phone usage is the same as with 4.2 and now 4.5. My phone sits and idles all day with a few texts here and there and emails every so often... No changes made any different on the new 4.5rom when upgrading so I don't see why the increase in drastic battery lost.

However, I do see the increase in resource uses when I go to the battery monitor with 4.5 (with nothing changed of course and only the upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5). I'm sure it's a fluke so be it that it is. Too bad for me with the crappy battery life. Once I get sick of it, i'll probably switch back to 4.2 again.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You are correct... Each platform and use of the phone is different... You still can't argue though... that my phone usage is the same as with 4.2 and now 4.5. My phone sits and idles all day with a few texts here and there and emails every so often... No changes made any different on the new 4.5rom when upgrading so I don't see why the increase in drastic battery lost.

However, I do see the increase in resource uses when I go to the battery monitor with 4.5 (with nothing changed of course and only the upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5). I'm sure it's a fluke so be it that it is. Too bad for me with the crappy battery life. Once I get sick of it, i'll probably switch back to 4.2 again.
Have u checked the settings I mentioned? I seem to remember a while back one of the versions had the "enable always on mobile data" unchecked already from a fresh flash but wasn't that way with 4.5 ... this and having Google talk not automatically sign in (and must manually sign out after the setting is changed) specifically are two settings that have a large impact on battery life. Give that a try and see if it helps

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Lurker

htcJohn is a n00b

Quote:
- Always on mobile data is turned off
I always have this on with 4.2 so no change there
Quote:
- Google Talk is signed off and set to not automatically sign in
I dont have this nor any chatting software other than the sms
Quote:
- Weather updates every three hrs (and everytime I come out of airplane mode of course)
Once a day
Quote:
- FB for HTC Sense updates once a day
Not even logged in nor do I care for it
- Cache cleaner runs once a day (have no idea if this matters but somebody mentioned it so I thought I would)
Quote:
- Google set to always sync calendar and contacts but mail set to manual
This is good for others but tends to annoy me b/c it sets all my contacts under google. No syncing either way.
Quote:
- No syncing of news or stocks (don't use it)
none

As you can see, there are no changes that I can see. I know that that everything else is super fast so I assume the CPU has been played with (to no disappointment) and that might be the reason why it's hurting my battery. I know that when I switch back to 4.2, my cpu scaling is slower and all my apps load slow.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Lurker

Timbo Slice is a n00b

Does anyone else get 4g? I thought when i first flashed this rom on the 27th i got 4g. All it says is 4g antenna is ON. Then just sits there and scans for networks. If 4g is not available... does anyone have a link or rom i can flash to to get it? I do a lot of downloading. Thanks for any help! I love this ROM btw.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CYNICALifornia is just getting started

Quote:

I dont have this nor any chatting software other than the sms
You DO have Google Talk, it is a system app and is required for you Market login. So, check it's settings as suggested, and don't delete it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development