PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.4 | FroYo 3.70.651.1 | *Updated 12/30/10*

Ok guys, I'll chime in to help if I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedog5 View Post
sorry to keep bothering you, but i did what you said and got the alt flash. now how do i use amon? is it a differnt app? when i try to use any of the options under rom manager it says i have to flash clockwork back.
Correct, the devs of Rom Mgr and CWM recovery work together and you will only have all the functions of Rom Mgr when using CWM recovery. (I'm sure the devs work with Amon_Ra as well but the functions of Rom Mgr are only built to work with CWM) ... Like other's have said though, Rom Mgr is a quick easy way to get Amon_Ra recovery on your phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuffdaddy View Post
Can someone explain this whole clockwork problem. I'm using it and don't seem to have any problems.
Here's is what I know about how all the problems probably started with CWM which I have used most of the time (alomst exclusively, but have used Amon_Ra to check it out)

reference OMJ's post here as has been posted already ... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/2031815-post5565.html

Now that you have a little background on update vs. updater scripts... a little while back CWM updated their recovery from 2.5.x to 3.x.x at which time he switched everything so it would only work with updater scripts. When this happened and ppl ran Rom Mgr it said "hey there is an update for CWM recovery" which most ppl probably did. This happened to occur between releases of OMJ's rom. When his next release came out everybody started running into problems becuase his roms use an update rather than an updater script (he may and probably will change this in the future but ... I don't speak for OMJ). CWM made this change in preparation for CM7 b/c for some reason they said 3.x will be required by CM7. After all the problems (not just with OMJ's rom but all the roms and flashable .zips out there that use update scripts), CWM has made a 2.6.x version of CWM which also now shows as the most current update from within Rom Mgr. The 2.6.x version handles both update and updater scripts and backs up WiMaxx. Now I can't speak to the previous posts about CWM having issues with backing up WiMaxx b/c I haven't read that thread, don't know when it was posted, or what version of CWM it is referring to... what I can tell you is that I have done a Nand backup with CWM v2.6.x and when I go browse the \clockworkmod\backup folder there is a wimax.img ... so to me it is backed up but I have never had a need to "use" this backed up Wimax.img so maybe something in that previously mentioned thread is referring to this (ver 2.6.x) not creating a "good" backup image of the Wimax I don't know?

Hope that helped a little and if anybody has anything to add feel free to do so

... now having said all this, I would certainly never dispute OMJ and if he says Amon_Ra is a better recovery then it probably is. I have simply stuck with CWM because it has worked for me, I paid money for Rom Mgr and like it to be useful, it enables me to be lazy and make backups a little quicker and easier from w/i Rom Mgr plus I can name them, and you can browse folders from w/i recovery rather than have to put everything in the root of the SD card ... this last reason, which was one of the main ones for me sticking to CWM is no longer an issue with the latest Amon_Ra recovery since he has added the folder browsing ability now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
I also noticed that rom manager seems useless without using clockworkmod. I flashed back to clockworkmod. It works fine with this ROM.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Yes it does so long as you never updated CWM from 2.5.x to 3.x.x (in the short timeframe that 3.x.x was showing as the most current from w/i Rom Mgr) OR if you did so and have since updated it again "back" to 2.6.x ... so basically, so long as you either have the old 2.5.x version or the 2.6.x version then CWM will work just fine as they both handle the update script that OMJ uses

Last edited by Vancer; 01-09-2011 at 01:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff

@ OMJ,

Here's what I don't understand... has Amon_Ra always created a Wimax.img? I have of course made MANY backups and flashed a whole bunch using CWM and it never created a Wimax.img until the 2.6.x version. What is it that everybody is freaking out about? If CWM wasn't creating that .img before how did I not lose 4G? Same for Amon_Ra if it wasn't making that .img until the new release... or was it doing it all along? ... Was the Wimax partition simply left alone until the new releases started backing it up? hmmmm???

I need to get to the bottom of this b/c if Amon_Ra was making it all along (with no problems) and CWM was not but is now (but not making a "good" .img for some reason) then maybe it is time for me to switch to Amon_Ra

Last edited by Vancer; 01-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

@ Karatche

Can you chime in on this or post a link to the info you posted earlier so I can see what version of CWM it is referring to?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Thanks. I'll hit the button when I get home. Damn you Tapatalk! Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
LOL Agreed!! I put a post a while back that the devs need to add a long press "thank post" option! ... so now when I get home to my computer I just go randomly thanking a bunch of sh$t OMJ posts that doesn't even pertain to me LMAO!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good workjayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Now that I have Amon, can I still restore an earlier backup that is in my clockworkmod folder? When I'm in amon and go into the backup restore folder I only show one backup. However, if I search through the directories, I find clockworkmod folder w/all of my backups. Should this be a problem?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Now that I have Amon, can I still restore an earlier backup that is in my clockworkmod folder? When I'm in amon and go into the backup restore folder I only show one backup. However, if I search through the directories, I find clockworkmod folder w/all of my backups. Should this be a problem?
I would say don't do it. If you want to restore one of your older backups I would just go to Rom Mgr and flash back to CWM real quick and then restore. Rom Mgr makes it super easy to jump b/t recoveries

Edit: and especially if there is something screwy going on with backing up the Wimax you could come into a problem there

Last edited by Vancer; 01-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good workjayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancer View Post
I would say don't do it. If you want to restore one of your older backups I would just go to Rom Mgr and flash back to CWM real quick and then restore. Rom Mgr makes it super easy to jump b/t recoveries

Edit: and especially if there is something screwy going on with backing up the Wimax you could come into a problem there
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
@ OMJ,

Here's what I don't understand... has Amon_Ra always created a Wimax.img? I have of course made MANY backups and flashed a whole bunch using CWM and it never created a Wimax.img until the 2.6.x version. What is it that everybody is freaking out about? If CWM wasn't creating that .img before how did I not lose 4G? Same for Amon_Ra if it wasn't making that .img until the new release... or was it doing it all along? ... Was the Wimax partition simply left alone until the new releases started backing it up? hmmmm???

I need to get to the bottom of this b/c if Amon_Ra was making it all along (with no problems) and CWM was not but is now (but not making a "good" .img for some reason) then maybe it is time for me to switch to Amon_Ra
Not answering for Bossman but here's what I know...

amon RA DID always backup Wimax IF you did the ext backup. The "standard" backup did not. I NEVER backed my Wimax and never had issues.
We didnt lose Wimax simply because it didnt break

IF my Wimax got fubared I 'spose having the backup would help but I always assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that I could just reflash the wimax radio to fix it.

The new amon has a ton of different features-some of which you mentioned.
As far as why everyone is going ga-ga over the wimax features, dunno. Maybe it was the fact that the new standard backup included the wimax by default?
NOW in the latest version amon allows for selective backup and you can pick and choose what you back up. So now you can just back up your Wimax and tuck it away somewhere for safe keeping
The advantage to selective backup is you dont HAVE to backup everything each time which makes the files huge and can take awhile to back up and then restore.
Hope that sheds some light.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo

karatche is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
@ Karatche

Can you chime in on this or post a link to the info you posted earlier so I can see what version of CWM it is referring to?

Thanks
I'm afraid I'm only getttin schooled here. Just don't have any other info to contribute.

Quote:
I tried to restore a backup that was made with CWM when I first used Amon_ra recovery a few months back but amon recovery would not read backup from cwm if I'm recalling correctly. I had a failure with amon ra- cant remember what it was but thats why I wnent back to CWM. I now have 2.6 and if in fact it backs up Wimax I will likely keep it.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Hey OMJ, is it possible to change what the pull down menu has? For example instead of bluetooth, maybe add the wifi hotspot button instead.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development