PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
lol, so the clock starts over.....

I was gonna pm u the other day but forgot......did u ever find a solution for the browser issue u were having?
Never found a way to get an option/setting built into the stock browser but shortly after I was OCD'ing out like crazy over it Dolphin HD came out with an update that let you set a custom UA string. So I put an IE 6 UA string in the custom setting and it works like a charm on my shytty company website ... problem solved ... OCD tamed (until the next issue) lol

... how's Mik coming on the mods?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.5 | FroYo 3.70.651.1 | *Updated 1/23/11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tAIIC View Post
Thanks for your response OMJ.

I tried that. In fact, I tried going back to 4.0, doing a wipe, then flashing 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 in order. When I got to 4.3 it started to fail again. Maybe I need to flash a new base ROM? Can you recommend one please? I have the one I got from PPCG way back when you guys made the ROM's available. It's the stock rooted version. Is there an update to it perhaps?
odd....4.2 was based on the stock Sprint ROM, 4.3 & up are based an amikams re-engineered base.....still no reason adb wont work.

what adb cmds are u using?

Quote:
@iknowsquat: Thanks, I'll try that. I'm ready for some cleansing. Although I just dropped gingerbread on, and...O MA GOD!!! Highly recommend to anyone looking for something new and fun. I think I'll nand it then wipe. Oh, I have the original recovery. Don't remember the version, but it's the one that uses the batch file.

@av8or: LMAO
blah....I tried GB but it lasted a whole 30 min.....if it doesn't have Sense, I'm not too impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancer View Post
Never found a way to get an option/setting built into the stock browser but shortly after I was OCD'ing out like crazy over it Dolphin HD came out with an update that let you set a custom UA string. So I put an IE 6 UA string in the custom setting and it works like a charm on my shytty company website ... problem solved ... OCD tamed (until the next issue) lol

ahh, cool

I am creating the mods w/ amikams help, just started....testing 4n1 reboot now.

Once I get the hang of this, I may try to mod the browser, can u send me all the info again?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

tAIIC is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
odd....4.2 was based on the stock Sprint ROM, 4.3 & up are based an amikams re-engineered base.....still no reason adb wont work.

what adb cmds are u using?
So I did a complete wipe (cache, delvik, factory reset) and flashed 4.5 and it appears to be working great! I also updated my radio, maybe that was contributing to the problem. Weird thing is I still don't see the USB debugging icon, but I can do adb devices, shell, reboot recovery and eclipse connects with no issues. No big deal, as long as I can continue using your ROM I'm not complaining.

Quote:
blah....I tried GB but it lasted a whole 30 min.....if it doesn't have Sense, I'm not too impressed
True, it does lack Sense but I love the new functionality in gmail and the hidden notification bar, slicker transitions and the new keyboard is pretty nice. Almost made me forget Swype. Mind if I try to cook a version of your ROM using GB?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

racer1000r is a n00b

UPDATE: Ok, so i've got bad news. I was having trouble with my phone rebooting multiple times per day. I finally did a factory reset, flashed OMJ 4.5 and hoped for the best. It was ok for a few hours then went back to it's regularly scheduled (and unwelcome) random reboots. It became so useless that I couldn't make phone calls without it rebooting on me. The issue seems to have started with the move to aamikams new base. I'm all for the speed enhancements, etc, but this is a phone that was previously bug-free. I was running just about flawlessly on OMJ's rom's prior to this.

So last night I bit the bullet and did another factory reset, and rolled back to OMJ 4.2. It's been smoooooooooooth sailing since then.

OMJ, I hope you get back to more of a stock version base, because I love your Rom's, but I'm not excited about speed tweaks and enhancements if they make my phone unusable. You have one of the most stable, and useful Rom's out there for the Evo...I'm hoping you keep that trend going

I'm a developer myself, and all of the issues I ran into felt like memory leaks. If it helps at all, I think I narrowed down the possible issue as something related to either the number of text messages I had received, or the collision of text messages with a phone call. Not sure if it was either one, or possibly both that caused the reboots.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancer View Post

Quote:
ahh, cool

I am creating the mods w/ amikams help, just started....testing 4n1 reboot now.

Once I get the hang of this, I may try to mod the browser, can u send me all the info again?
well I managed to create the 4n1 reboot mod w/ amikams help, he was doing it too for the evo shift. we discovered it will not work on the odex ROM, so we assume none of the mods will work on odex (due to the fact they need to be deodexed).

so, I'll be sticking w/ deodexed for now.....

I'm still going to try to mod the browser to add the feature u wanted....mainly to get more practice modding......now I gotta search the thread for all the info u gave....

Quote:
So I did a complete wipe (cache, delvik, factory reset) and flashed 4.5 and it appears to be working great! I also updated my radio, maybe that was contributing to the problem. Weird thing is I still don't see the USB debugging icon, but I can do adb devices, shell, reboot recovery and eclipse connects with no issues. No big deal, as long as I can continue using your ROM I'm not complaining.
cool....actually, one of the mods added disables the USB debug icon (Calkulin's_EVO_2.2_Disable_USB_Debugging_Notifica tion), so u wont see it

Quote:
True, it does lack Sense but I love the new functionality in gmail and the hidden notification bar, slicker transitions and the new keyboard is pretty nice. Almost made me forget Swype. Mind if I try to cook a version of your ROM using GB?
sure, though I'm curious as to how u would cook a version of my ROM using GB....

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1000r View Post
UPDATE: Ok, so i've got bad news. I was having trouble with my phone rebooting multiple times per day. I finally did a factory reset, flashed OMJ 4.5 and hoped for the best. It was ok for a few hours then went back to it's regularly scheduled (and unwelcome) random reboots. It became so useless that I couldn't make phone calls without it rebooting on me. The issue seems to have started with the move to aamikams new base. I'm all for the speed enhancements, etc, but this is a phone that was previously bug-free. I was running just about flawlessly on OMJ's rom's prior to this.

So last night I bit the bullet and did another factory reset, and rolled back to OMJ 4.2. It's been smoooooooooooth sailing since then.

OMJ, I hope you get back to more of a stock version base, because I love your Rom's, but I'm not excited about speed tweaks and enhancements if they make my phone unusable. You have one of the most stable, and useful Rom's out there for the Evo...I'm hoping you keep that trend going

I'm a developer myself, and all of the issues I ran into felt like memory leaks. If it helps at all, I think I narrowed down the possible issue as something related to either the number of text messages I had received, or the collision of text messages with a phone call. Not sure if it was either one, or possibly both that caused the reboots.
sorry to hear of your troubles, are u doing a full wipe when flashing 4.5? I know you're not the only one that has reported issues, but the majority, including myself, have not had any of these issues....

I have a feeling we'll be seeing GB very soon.....that's what I'm waiting for.....initially my ROM will be based on the stock HTC ROM, whether or not I follow amikam remains to be seen....we'll see, maybe I'll have both, stock & amikams re-engineered
Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

tAIIC is a n00b

Quote:
sure, though I'm curious as to how u would cook a version of my ROM using GB....
Since this would be my first time in the kitchen, I have no clue what I'm talking about. But I love to break stuff and put it back together. So who knows what kind of monster I'll create. Probably end up bricking my phone permanently. LOL
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@ OMJ,

Sorry I haven't had time to get that info for ya buddy!
... briefly from what I remember, I opened up a CYAN (AOSP) browser.apk and saw multiple references to the UA string in various xmls ... I figured if I knew which xmls to edit (and how) I could go in and in all the places they mentioned say ... the "iPad" option just replace iPad with"IE 6" and edit the UA string accordingly in said places thereby basically replacing iPad for IE 6

Here us a good UA string for that:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.1; Windows XP)

I use that whole string including the stuff in parentheses in Dolphin as the custom string

Hope that helps!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

phusion36 is a n00b

I've been reading through everything on here trying to find if I can used swype on the 4.5 build I just put on. When I go into the language and keyboard I can't seem to figure out how to trigger it on. I see that installing the beta will really f things up so I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice on how to get swype enabled?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion36 View Post
I've been reading through everything on here trying to find if I can used swype on the 4.5 build I just put on. When I go into the language and keyboard I can't seem to figure out how to trigger it on. I see that installing the beta will really f things up so I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice on how to get swype enabled?
swype is included in the ROM, just go to an input box, long press, then choose input method, then swype
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

looks like Mik and Debarron got the mods working on his odex version so no more deodexing ROMs

Are you going to put out something new in the next couple weeks or so?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development