PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

stimpy1864 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v3.0 | FroYo 3.26.651.6 | *Updated 8/13/10*

This is my first post here but been following this thread for along time. I am using OMJ's 2.2 deodexed from 8/3 with stock kernel and have been very happy with it. I didn't want to mess with the custom kernels because of the camera problems that plagued the early 2.2s but from what I understand those problems have been fixed. So my two questions are, if I do a backup in recovery before I flash a custom kernel will my backup restore my old kernel if I'm not happy with the custom one or does it just restore the rom? Second what benefits will I see and witch kernels should I use with OMJ's 2.2? And thank you OMJ for all your great work.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy1864 View Post
This is my first post here but been following this thread for along time. I am using OMJ's 2.2 deodexed from 8/3 with stock kernel and have been very happy with it. I didn't want to mess with the custom kernels because of the camera problems that plagued the early 2.2s but from what I understand those problems have been fixed. So my two questions are, if I do a backup in recovery before I flash a custom kernel will my backup restore my old kernel if I'm not happy with the custom one or does it just restore the rom? Second what benefits will I see and witch kernels should I use with OMJ's 2.2? And thank you OMJ for all your great work.
I thought you said you've been following the thread
j/k
Yes, the camera issue has been resolved.
The kernel will be restored along with the ROM.
The kernels should give you better performance, better battery life, unlock your fps (frames_per_second-on stock it's capped at 30, these kernels allow 50+), and netarchy's can enable 5 point multitouch if you have the correct sensor.
The latest from kinklicks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754128
and netarchy work with OMJ
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763
I suggest reading the changelogs and the last two or three pages of each thread to help you decide which one is right for you. Of course you can do what I do and flash them all
Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

ibdman21 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy1864 View Post

I'm using netarchy's kernal 4.1.9Beta and I think it works great. Haven't had much of a chance to try the battery life out just yet though.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

richarc93 is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbehren View Post
Thanks and thanked.

Regarding the Hotspot, I was under the impression that we could access the hotspot feature of the phone with full root.

Huh. Oh well. Thanks again.
U have to get WiFi tether from market. It's free. Requires ROOT and Walla.... u got a hotspot....

Sent from my Evo"Nator" using TapaTalk
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

richarc93 is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancaperez2000 View Post
i heard this if you want to flash differnts themes you need get deodexed and i think that odexed rooms are a little more stable but not sure because im on the same page than you thinking on move to deodexed room
Go deodexed and get rhiptides theme... nice.. very colorful and nice....

Sent from my Evo"Nator" using TapaTalk
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
You may have done this but just to be sure--in prepping for a ROM flash do Factory reset 2X's and wipe DALVIK cache 2X's.
When you do a factory reset it wipes CACHE.
Oh, and no need to do factory reset post flash
Ok, I wont factory reset after flashing anymore. just a habit from my TP2 . When I use Quick Boot to boot in to Recovery, I think Rom Manager steps in and takes over the screen there. It looks different ever since I dl'ed and installed Rom Manager and even says Clockwork Mod at the top now. Anyway, I cleared factory data twice, then went to clear Dalvick Cache. BUT..now due to Rom Manager taking over that screen it DOES NOT say Davlik Cache, it just says Cache Partition, which I assumed was the same just renamed by Rom Manager...Liike I said, it booted up just fine and was running perfect. It wasnt untill I did a factory reset post-flash that it got stuck. Even then, just a battery pull and it started right back up....like it just hung up there for a minute. (Althogh it did freak me out and I had to go change my underwear..j/k)

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglifemike View Post
Ok, I wont factory reset after flashing anymore. just a habit from my TP2 . When I use Quick Boot to boot in to Recovery, I think Rom Manager steps in and takes over the screen there. It looks different ever since I dl'ed and installed Rom Manager and even says Clockwork Mod at the top now. Anyway, I cleared factory data twice, then went to clear Dalvick Cache. BUT..now due to Rom Manager taking over that screen it DOES NOT say Davlik Cache, it just says Cache Partition, which I assumed was the same just renamed by Rom Manager...Liike I said, it booted up just fine and was running perfect. It wasnt untill I did a factory reset post-flash that it got stuck. Even then, just a battery pull and it started right back up....like it just hung up there for a minute. (Althogh it did freak me out and I had to go change my underwear..j/k)
Trust me Bro, since launch day I've had to change drawers a time or two myself. Andy is very forgiving.
You are running Clockwork recovery. I think you get prompted for it when you first run ROM Manager so you may have flashed it not realizing fully what it was. To wipe Dalvik in Clockwork look for an Advanced option, Dalvik is hiding in there.
You should be fine with Clockwork but like I said earlier, if you go to ROM Manager and select 'flash alternate recovery' you can get back to amon RA if you want.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 AM
boostedbanana is VIP!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Ok cool, thanks again man. I'll check out the "advanced option" later. Think I may try Sprint Lovers rom, unless I can find .apk's for all the Sprint apps. I just miss Sprint TV and some of the other Sprint bloatware. If I could just get those apps I would stay on this ROM. I love this ROM and also running the Riptide V5 theme with the V5 upgrade and it is VERY NICE!! Appreciate you pointing me in that direction too.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglifemike View Post
Ok cool, thanks again man. I'll check out the "advanced option" later. Think I may try Sprint Lovers rom, unless I can find .apk's for all the Sprint apps. I just miss Sprint TV and some of the other Sprint bloatware. If I could just get those apps I would stay on this ROM. I love this ROM and also running the Riptide V5 theme with the V5 upgrade and it is VERY NICE!! Appreciate you pointing me in that direction too.
Anytime Bro. btw-all of OMJ's removed apk's are linked at the bottom of Post #2
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
boostedbanana is VIP!!

Reading owns me...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development