PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NAND boot testing. Test 5: SOUND!!!!/Test 7: Single NBH/Serialno/tilt2 fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
Correct, that's what I meant. There is RAM which (in WinMo's case it's used when you flash a ROM (not the ROM memory but the ROM that you flash to the Flash memory (or is it ROM?) LOL) What I am trying to ask is...if we don't flash a WM_ROM it will not occupy RAM (or memory) therefore allowing more RAM for the OS, and if we start installing software, (I THINK) this memory will start decreasing, correct? Therefore if we install to /SDCARD or even the whole OS keep running it from the SDCARD we will have all this free memory for the OS...correct?
You're making my brain hurt... I don't know what you're trying to ask, and I think you might be using the wrong terms.

RAM is volatile. It is wiped every time you shutdown your phone (or computer).

ROM is where the WinMo OS is stored. We're trying to get Android to take over this portion, so WinMo would no longer be required on our phones - we could run pure Android.

I'm still not sure if that answered your question.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Ozone,Diam,Imagio,TPro2,Opt-S,EVO,3VO,E4GT
Carrier: Boost (CDMA)

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
You're making my brain hurt... I don't know what you're trying to ask, and I think you might be using the wrong terms.

RAM is volatile. It is wiped every time you shutdown your phone (or computer).

ROM is where the WinMo OS is stored. We're trying to get Android to take over this portion, so WinMo would no longer be required on our phones - we could run pure Android.

I'm still not sure if that answered your question.

Yep. So what memory does the OS use when we install programs? (For example, APK's, will it take up RAM therefore giving less RAM to the OS? The OS needs memory to run software as well to store them, computers have hard drives where programs get stored and when you run the program it gets moved to RAM.

Ok, lets see it this way... When you use ADVANCED TASK KILLER you have a FREE MEMORY that gets decreased when you have a WM ROM installed on the phone, also when you install APK's this memory starts decreasing....! So if we keep the OS and installed apps on SDCARD we will have all this RAM available for the OS, correct?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Yep. So what memory does the OS use when we install programs? (For example, APK's, will it take up RAM therefore giving less RAM to the OS? The OS needs memory to run software as well to store them, computers have hard drives where programs get stored and when you run the program it gets moved to RAM.

Ok, lets see it this way... When you use ADVANCED TASK KILLER you have a FREE MEMORY that gets decreased when you have a WM ROM installed on the phone, also when you install APK's this memory starts decreasing....! So if we keep the OS and installed apps on SDCARD we will have all this RAM available for the OS, correct?
I think you're mixing up RAM and ROM. Let's stick with Android for this example - anything we install it will take up memory on the SD card. Any app that's RUNNING will take up RAM. RAM is used by everything - it's a placeholder for information between the processor and disk.

So Advanced Task Killer will free up RAM when you kill apps. If you remove the app from your phone, you free up space on the SD card.

Make sense? This is all pretty OT too dude... I'm not sure where you should ask these questions either tho lol.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
As in pure NAND?, im not working on anything relating to that. Wozz is the pioneer and probably the most experienced in that area so i'll leave it up to him to champion that area of the development.

Do you know how to compile the kernel ? it would be great if more people were able to compile it and test it. I'm still trying to finalize the battery changes so we have more accurate readings. After that i'll probably venture into the panel light staying on issue. Thats killing power like no other so it needs to be looked into.

I may need to go back to wince to look into the 3d issue. Unless someone wants to start dumping memory off haret .. so much to do ..
I've compiled linux kernels in the past, though I have yet to do one for Andriod. Let me run through this and see if I have the right process, and maybe give me a refresher.

I'm cloning git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git
Then checkout htc-msm origin/htc-msm
Then make defconfig (What defconfig are we using?)
Then clean
Then cross compile zImage (What is the path to the toolchain we are using?)

Do we care about cleaning compiled files and rebuilding from scratch? I've got a Core i7 930 machine with a Vertex 2 SSD to crunch this on. I'm totally willing to help. Just need specifics
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I think you're mixing up RAM and ROM. Let's stick with Android for this example - anything we install it will take up memory on the SD card. Any app that's RUNNING will take up RAM. RAM is used by everything - it's a placeholder for information between the processor and disk.

So Advanced Task Killer will free up RAM when you kill apps. If you remove the app from your phone, you free up space on the SD card.

Make sense? This is all pretty OT too dude... I'm not sure where you should ask these questions either tho lol.
I know that part, now that we have the OS on the SDCARD and we install software it goes to SDCARD, but what about when we install software on Windows Mobile, where is our "hard drive" for the phone? If RAM gets wiped out when we power-cycle the device, where are these programs getting installed at? I install to "DEVICE" not "SDCARD" so there must be some "memory" that doesn't get wiped out on power-cycle....
Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

Yeah, I think the easiest way to explain this for him is to compare it to a computer. The internal NAND is like a hard drive, the microSD is like an external drive, and the RAM is like System Memory. Currently, Android is running off the microSD card and does not access the NAND.

Your RAM is not a storage component and does not decrease based on the amount of things you have installed. When you launch an application, it loads itself into RAM as needed. If you launch of ton of applications, they will all stay loaded in RAM, but Android unloads parts of the applications from memory as needed. Do not use a Task Killer in Android 2.2 as you are preventing Android from doing its job in managing your RAM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I know that part, now that we have the OS on the SDCARD and we install software it goes to SDCARD, but what about when we install software on Windows Mobile, where is our "hard drive" for the phone? If RAM gets wiped out when we power-cycle the device, where are these programs getting installed at? I install to "DEVICE" not "SDCARD" so there must be some "memory" that doesn't get wiped out on power-cycle....
Think of the SD card as an external hard drive. In Windows, you install applications to the internal hard drive. Android is running off the external hard drive and cannot access the internal hard drive. All applications are installed to the external hard drive with Android.

Also, if any mods can come along and move this crap into a new thread, that would be great.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
WinMo has nothing to do with this topic, so I'm done responding to these OT posts... Sorry for dragging it out so long mods! If a mod could break this out into another thread that's not in Android Dev, I'd be happy to continue talking to you about it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

It has nothing to do with WinMo I was using it as comparison. I thought we had RAM, FLASH and SDCARD...

Ok, so the NAND is our harddrive, which holds the ANDROID (os) and installed programs.

The ANDROID and installed programs load into RAM from the NAND (harddrive)

What I don't understand is when we flash the phone with a small ROM on NAND why does our available RAM increase in ANDROID? Do we "partition" these 2 different sections of memory?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

butler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good work

Holy f*ck...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2