View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
natemcnutty
VIP Member

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NAND boot testing. Test 5: SOUND!!!!/Test 7: Single NBH/Serialno/tilt2 fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I think you're mixing up RAM and ROM. Let's stick with Android for this example - anything we install it will take up memory on the SD card. Any app that's RUNNING will take up RAM. RAM is used by everything - it's a placeholder for information between the processor and disk.

So Advanced Task Killer will free up RAM when you kill apps. If you remove the app from your phone, you free up space on the SD card.

Make sense? This is all pretty OT too dude... I'm not sure where you should ask these questions either tho lol.
Yeah, I think the easiest way to explain this for him is to compare it to a computer. The internal NAND is like a hard drive, the microSD is like an external drive, and the RAM is like System Memory. Currently, Android is running off the microSD card and does not access the NAND.

Your RAM is not a storage component and does not decrease based on the amount of things you have installed. When you launch an application, it loads itself into RAM as needed. If you launch of ton of applications, they will all stay loaded in RAM, but Android unloads parts of the applications from memory as needed. Do not use a Task Killer in Android 2.2 as you are preventing Android from doing its job in managing your RAM.