PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NAND boot testing. Test 5: SOUND!!!!/Test 7: Single NBH/Serialno/tilt2 fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Yea seriously. I work on Cisco crap for a living, and when I started in PC support, most of our developers (whether it was mainframe, Java, Windows...) didn't know diddly squat about their computers. All just seemed like smoke & mirrors to them. Now granted not all were complete morons about how computers work, but a surprising number of them were/are...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh man, this is so true. It honestly shocks me how little a college CS major imparts in terms of actual applicable knowledge. I shudder to think what the master's and Ph.D programs require.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2463; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro
Quote:
Yea seriously. I work on Cisco crap for a living, and when I started in PC support, most of our developers (whether it was mainframe, Java, Windows...) didn't know diddly squat about their computers. All just seemed like smoke & mirrors to them. Now granted not all were complete morons about how computers work, but a surprising number of them were/are...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh man, this is so true. It honestly shocks me how little a college CS major imparts in terms of actual applicable knowledge. I shudder to think what the master's and Ph.D programs require.
It all depends on the school. Masters in CS is a little different too cause you have a very specific area of focus. I went in having 5 years experience as a junior systems admin and felt totally underprepared for some of my classes.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2463; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

It all depends on the school. Masters in CS is a little different too cause you have a very specific area of focus. I went in having 5 years experience as a junior systems admin and felt totally underprepared for some of my classes.
im glad you guys are done with this useless convo..
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Ozone,Diam,Imagio,TPro2,Opt-S,EVO,3VO,E4GT
Carrier: Boost (CDMA)

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So I am now testing the FRX01 or whatever it is... Any special instructions for this build? Any updates on newer nand booter? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
Sorry 'bout the OT stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
So I am now testing the FRX01 or whatever it is... Any special instructions for this build? Any updates on newer nand booter? Thanks in advance!
Wozz is workin on a full NAND, but progress is slow goings. I don't think he's going to do another one that depends on the SD. It was taken as far as it needs to go...
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Sorry 'bout the OT stuff...

Wozz is workin on a full NAND, but progress is slow goings. I don't think he's going to do another one that depends on the SD. It was taken as far as it needs to go...
That's awesome news. I would love a NAND booter for SD Android, and the "full NAND" will it install on the RAM memory or will the OS have full memory and not run low on memory when you install more apps to the OS?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
That's awesome news. I would love a NAND booter for SD Android, and the "full NAND" will it install on the RAM memory or will the OS have full memory and not run low on memory when you install more apps to the OS?
Uhm... I think you're confused. RAM is Random Access Memory - as in volatile, and is wiped every time you reboot - same goes for your computer.

ROM is what we're talking about, which typically means Read Only Memory - but these chips are capable of being flashed... That is what I'm talking about with full NAND support... basically you'd flash Android like any WinMo ROM, and it would actually flash to the NAND. The current incarnation still depends on your SD card.

Does that make sense...?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
Sorry ACL. Got bored late at night

Quote:
You are already booting off NAND, but the OS files are still located on the microSD card. What they are working on is moving the OS onto NAND as well. As far as RAM goes, are you saying you are running out of storage space for apps in Android, or are you running out of actual RAM.

Also, ACL, is there anything we can do to help with NAND development?

Last edited by natemcnutty; 09-20-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post

Also, ACL, is there anything we can do to help with NAND development? Are you guys working on the NAND MTD driver, or are you working on the filing system now?
As in pure NAND?, im not working on anything relating to that. Wozz is the pioneer and probably the most experienced in that area so i'll leave it up to him to champion that area of the development.

Do you know how to compile the kernel ? it would be great if more people were able to compile it and test it. I'm still trying to finalize the battery changes so we have more accurate readings. After that i'll probably venture into the panel light staying on issue. Thats killing power like no other so it needs to be looked into.

I may need to go back to wince to look into the 3d issue. Unless someone wants to start dumping memory off haret .. so much to do ..
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Uhm... I think you're confused. RAM is Random Access Memory - as in volatile, and is wiped every time you reboot - same goes for your computer.

ROM is what we're talking about, which typically means Read Only Memory - but these chips are capable of being flashed... That is what I'm talking about with full NAND support... basically you'd flash Android like any WinMo ROM, and it would actually flash to the NAND. The current incarnation still depends on your SD card.

Does that make sense...?
Correct, that's what I meant. There is RAM which (in WinMo's case it's used when you flash a ROM (not the ROM memory but the ROM that you flash to the Flash memory (or is it ROM?) LOL) What I am trying to ask is...if we don't flash a WM_ROM it will not occupy RAM (or memory) therefore allowing more RAM for the OS, and if we start installing software, (I THINK) this memory will start decreasing, correct? Therefore if we install to /SDCARD or even the whole OS keep running it from the SDCARD we will have all this free memory for the OS...correct?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2