PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

blazin-asian is keeping up the good workblazin-asian is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazin-asian
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
hmm idunno anymore... I went from the mogul to the diamond with plans to jump on over to the TP when it FINALLY got to sprint stores... but now i'm REALLY considering staying put with the diamond...

The only things i'd be sacrificing are:

The hard KB - the stock HTC has been wonderful to me so I cant see a need for it anymore...
LED flash - this i will miss but not at the expense of the size and weight difference i'm addicted to from working with the Diamond for 2 weeks.
Removable storage - with 4 gigs onboard in the diamond i'm good... i never even filled up the sd that was bundled with my mogul...
TV-out - I was infatuated with the thought of this feature until i really thought about how much i would actually utilize it. At first it would be a novelty for me...but not an everyday feature... so again i'm not losing my staying put in this regard.
The extra bundled apps that come witht the TP - in about five days I'll have cabs for that stuff lol cause this community is so awesome! no issue here.

So i think i just made up my mind... I NEVER thought i could get along without the slide KB... now i almost cant imagine going back...
i used my Diamond for about 3 weeks and text/emailed a LOT during that time to try and get used to the kb. i noticed a lot of errors and having to go back and correct and the fact that the on screen kb took up half the screen annoyed me too.

as for TV out, i believe some people over in the Diamond section are working on getting that function to work.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Okay, i figured i do another review as today i think im about satisfied with my understanding of the new GUI on top of windows mobile

First and foremost, im running TF3D with a custom font throughout windows (the nokia font, look for it, its real classy). I have Quick menu installed so that i dont have to ever go to the normy looking programs/settings menu and AEbutton for launching a few shortcuts.

Today is my first day of full use. I went to class at 9:00 am with a full battery charge and now im at home at 7:00 pm with around 25% left. It should be taken into consideration ive been constantly tinkering with it on my leisure time, but still, battery life is lower than the moguls.

After having time to learn the ends and outs of this thing, i have to say, its unmistakably the best windows mobile device available to us americans. Its just so snappy, it responds with little to no hesitation. I thought that i would be able to go without TF3D when i first saw the device, but it doesnt hit the system hard at all.

Coming from the moguls 32mbs available ram, the touch is a god amongst men. It handles opera like clock work. I have set my connection to disconnect after 10s of none usage to conserve battery life, and remarkably, the phone re-establishes a connection so fast its almost like it never left.

Style wise, this phone is classy. Its something that you constantly want to show off (sans finger prints). The high res display shines in a way ive never seen. It just forces you to look at it lol. The chrome accents also work better than i thought as they mix perfectly with the shine of the front display.

The weight is pretty much perfect. It feels heavy, but just what you would want to have when texting, no more, no less.

Cons...

As much as i love this phone (seriously, we are getting married next week lol), it does have a problem hear and there. The system does have a hiccup now and then where it goes un responsive for a couple of seconds. I dont know where to pinpoint though. This could just be the limits of what winmo 6.1 is capable of.

The battery is a downer. I dont understand the decision to shrink the battery without increasing its hours. This device wants, needs, and deserves a battery that can keep up with its *touch* slogan and the one supplied simply cannot. Im really hoping that the extended batteries can tailor to me and not have me walking around with a Touch Brick.

Hardware wise, i mentioned in another topic there is a small but annoying deadzone on my TP at the top of the display. I simply cant get a couple rows of pixels to register my taps. This is minor though as it seems to become less noticeable.

With such a powerful processor and running gpu, i had dreams of emulators... only to be dashed. The dpad is not friendly to play, i can only hope that someone will work around the keyboard hooks, sonic would look very good on this thing .... speaking of, the keyboard is oddily lit, but it is lit none the less. Some keys are dim, some are not.

----

In summary of this quick and unorganized review, i must state that this phone is not just a phone, its an all in one work of art. It looks and runs beautifully. My alarm went off this morning, i shook the phone and it went on snooze, but i just couldnt go back to sleep because at that point i had to play with it (thats what she said lol).

One of the smoothest things that i like about this phone is the backlight. I know. Odd. But the phone wakes up to a very smooth lighting, letting me know there is hope for windows mobile with the great developers and engineers at HTC. I remember a thread a couple months back where us mogul owners made wishes about what we wanted in a mogul 2... not only did a great majority of them come true, even the unreasonable ones found a way into this device (1/4 a gig of ram!!!!! gsensor!!!!!). Its as if HTC actually wanted to please the geeks with this thing, and i must say, i am very pleased.

If you dont have this phone yet, keep waiting and get it! If you plan on getting a smart phone (g1, iPhone, blackberry), dont think twice, this will not let you down.

-------

Edit*

I must mention that the biggest flaw of this phone is not in the cons... its the camera. I was hoping that this thing would be a whole lot speedier but its just as slow, laggy, and error prone as ever. Unless you are in perfect daylight or in a super well lit area, dont expect it to take pictures without some kind of blur. The 3.2 megapixels only compensates for this slightly.

Last edited by gobmonster; 10-27-2008 at 07:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: "A 3vo named McGavin"

one0one951 is becoming a great contributor
Talking Re: Touch Pro Reviews

After taking a full weekend to get acquainted with the TP and to compare it with my Mogul and 6700, here are some of my thoughts...

Pros:
-more program memory than I need
-base program list meets nearly all of my needs
-TouchFlo adds eye candy that is actually useful
-number keys make keyboard easier to use
-beautiful/responsive screen
-voice command finally works as advertised
-wifi works well (never got it to work on the Mogul)

Cons:
-keyboard light times out too quickly

Just to give you an idea of my usage... For work, I drive about 500 miles a day with my phone in a windshield mount. I use Sprint's TeleNav and media players heavily. I average about 4000 text messages a month. I rarely ever talk on the phone w/out an earpiece. That being said, this weekend I probably spent about 30 hours on the road. For the majority of the trip, I played music/videos and the telenav prompts (even the Sirius football channel stream for most of Sunday) over my Jabra BT3030. I made calls over my Jawbone2 with the voice command picking up the names perfectly. I received text messages that interrupted my music, read aloud, and then resumed the music playback. These are all things that I'd previously done with the Mogul. The main difference is that I had all the programs running at the same time, two bluetooth devices connected, GPS running, and streaming internet with no issues. No overheating. No out of memory errors. No answering a call and having to re-pair the other bluetooth so I can stream music again. This is exactly what I was looking for with this phone. It has the memory to get things done. I was had concerns about the missing buttons but after the first day I'd gotten used to the various screen swipes and flicks and even that light ring/D-pad thing. I do still reach for a dedicated “ok” button though. I was never really a fan of the scroll wheel so the dedicated volume controls were welcome to me. The only complaint I have truly is the slide-out keyboard blacking out so quickly. I can't wait for a fix for that. Honestly though... the frustration with the back light had a hidden bonus. I found that I can do a fairly decent job with the on-screen keyboard, something I have never liked at all.

Overall, I believe that I am the proud owner of the best phone on the market... period.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint Carrier)

Gregory Lima is keeping up the good workGregory Lima is keeping up the good work

I got this touch pro yesterday in Orlando while on vacation. It is simply as nice an upgrade as the mogul was to the apache. So far things are more responsive and I used PIM backup to get all my contacts and various settings from my mogul. I think touchFLO is cool, but nothing major if you have been using the diamond skin on the mogul.

In order of most impressive upgrades from the mogul:

1.) LCD and Screen resolution.
Color quality and 4x the pixel resolution makes this easily the most standout feature.

2.) Opera Mobile:
I am able to see and read an entire dynamic updating fantasy football page. Skyfire was way better than internet explorer for this, and Opera kills skyfire now. I have not installed flash yet in opera mobile, so i may still need skyfire.

3.) YouTube Application:
I was able to get youtube running just fine on the mogul, but it is now faster, the interface is more friendly,and the resolution looks great. Bringing up an episode of the little rascals for my 5yr old was flawless on first run.

Before discounts:
http://marshmelon.com/b4.jpg
After Discounts:
http://marshmelon.com/af.jpg
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

antsin3d is a n00b

I wrote a review from the perspective of a first time smartphone user, but as someone familiar with them and their technologies to some degree.
http://www99.epinions.com/review/HTC...t_449452215940
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

brklyn is just getting started

Just upgraded from my Diamond (had it for 2 weeks) to the Touch pro. Going to return the diamond soon, but since I haven't yet, I really get a chance to do some good comparison thinking.

To me, the diamond feels much nicer in the hand, the pro just doesn't feel as solid or nicely shaped (which it isn't, I suppose). They aren't much different in size, but the pro feels noticeably bigger in my hand. The sliding action is not as smooth as I would like it to be, like on other phones.

Other than that though, it really looks much better in person than I had expected after seeing it online and on youtube. It is small and the color scheme is not bad at all (though I like the Diamond's much better). Not as easily pocketable as the diamond.

The 4 way directional keypad thing is much improve over the Diamonds, stiffer and button location is more accurate. Also, the soft reset hole on the outside of the battery cover is great. Probably going to keep it but I do miss the Diamond form factor, the pro is not going to get the "oh wow nice phone! that looks cool" as much.

Got it at best buy for 254 after coupon and tax.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul

princelton is a n00b

ok I am convinced, I want one.... I do have a couple of questions to hold me over for a while till I can come up with the Touch Pro Flow lol...
first off, I am imagining that the tv out "should" work like a PC tv out, in that what is normally displayed on the screen would now [or also] be displayed on the "tv".....
couldn't it them be possible to use the tv out function>into the video in on a car stereo equiped with a monitor.... my questions are
A: will this work #2: does the TP support audio out with this and what formfactor is the cable (s-video, rca component, ect) and D: would it talk some kind of special program to get the stereo's touchscreen to control the ppc programs.... tomtom, phone, sprint tv, etc.... and finally it seems like everyone is having to start over..... will the program cabs I have saved on my micro sd work on the tp? tomtom, us maps, gps switch, total system commander etc not work anymore, or just the htc and mogul specific customizations....?? thanx all!
whoops almost forgot... I keep reading about people taking phones back..... am I missing something, some cool loophole perhaps? I am on my 3rd mogul ins replacment of a 6700, but like the rest of us, have been slighted all along, and am truly a victim.....

Last edited by princelton; 10-29-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gissentml is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to gissentml

Pros: Great keyboard. Great functionality. I love the tf3d and the ease of use.
Cons: The hardware of the unit seems flemsy. I am able to twist the faceplate side to side.
Overall: I am very happy with the phone. I just upgraded from a touch.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint Carrier)

Gregory Lima is keeping up the good workGregory Lima is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavezguy04 View Post
ANy update?
Did my best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18NH6Itijo
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

best i can do i dont have a really good camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000174.JPG (667.2 KB, 202 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro