View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
gobmonster
Halfway to VIP Status

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Okay, i figured i do another review as today i think im about satisfied with my understanding of the new GUI on top of windows mobile

First and foremost, im running TF3D with a custom font throughout windows (the nokia font, look for it, its real classy). I have Quick menu installed so that i dont have to ever go to the normy looking programs/settings menu and AEbutton for launching a few shortcuts.

Today is my first day of full use. I went to class at 9:00 am with a full battery charge and now im at home at 7:00 pm with around 25% left. It should be taken into consideration ive been constantly tinkering with it on my leisure time, but still, battery life is lower than the moguls.

After having time to learn the ends and outs of this thing, i have to say, its unmistakably the best windows mobile device available to us americans. Its just so snappy, it responds with little to no hesitation. I thought that i would be able to go without TF3D when i first saw the device, but it doesnt hit the system hard at all.

Coming from the moguls 32mbs available ram, the touch is a god amongst men. It handles opera like clock work. I have set my connection to disconnect after 10s of none usage to conserve battery life, and remarkably, the phone re-establishes a connection so fast its almost like it never left.

Style wise, this phone is classy. Its something that you constantly want to show off (sans finger prints). The high res display shines in a way ive never seen. It just forces you to look at it lol. The chrome accents also work better than i thought as they mix perfectly with the shine of the front display.

The weight is pretty much perfect. It feels heavy, but just what you would want to have when texting, no more, no less.

Cons...

As much as i love this phone (seriously, we are getting married next week lol), it does have a problem hear and there. The system does have a hiccup now and then where it goes un responsive for a couple of seconds. I dont know where to pinpoint though. This could just be the limits of what winmo 6.1 is capable of.

The battery is a downer. I dont understand the decision to shrink the battery without increasing its hours. This device wants, needs, and deserves a battery that can keep up with its *touch* slogan and the one supplied simply cannot. Im really hoping that the extended batteries can tailor to me and not have me walking around with a Touch Brick.

Hardware wise, i mentioned in another topic there is a small but annoying deadzone on my TP at the top of the display. I simply cant get a couple rows of pixels to register my taps. This is minor though as it seems to become less noticeable.

With such a powerful processor and running gpu, i had dreams of emulators... only to be dashed. The dpad is not friendly to play, i can only hope that someone will work around the keyboard hooks, sonic would look very good on this thing .... speaking of, the keyboard is oddily lit, but it is lit none the less. Some keys are dim, some are not.

----

In summary of this quick and unorganized review, i must state that this phone is not just a phone, its an all in one work of art. It looks and runs beautifully. My alarm went off this morning, i shook the phone and it went on snooze, but i just couldnt go back to sleep because at that point i had to play with it (thats what she said lol).

One of the smoothest things that i like about this phone is the backlight. I know. Odd. But the phone wakes up to a very smooth lighting, letting me know there is hope for windows mobile with the great developers and engineers at HTC. I remember a thread a couple months back where us mogul owners made wishes about what we wanted in a mogul 2... not only did a great majority of them come true, even the unreasonable ones found a way into this device (1/4 a gig of ram!!!!! gsensor!!!!!). Its as if HTC actually wanted to please the geeks with this thing, and i must say, i am very pleased.

If you dont have this phone yet, keep waiting and get it! If you plan on getting a smart phone (g1, iPhone, blackberry), dont think twice, this will not let you down.

-------

Edit*

I must mention that the biggest flaw of this phone is not in the cons... its the camera. I was hoping that this thing would be a whole lot speedier but its just as slow, laggy, and error prone as ever. Unless you are in perfect daylight or in a super well lit area, dont expect it to take pictures without some kind of blur. The 3.2 megapixels only compensates for this slightly.

Last edited by gobmonster; 10-27-2008 at 07:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.