PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Flak is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Well it sounds like you didn't go thru calibration.

You were correct in the diagnosis of the looping X problem, now if you have a ts-calibration file at the root of the SD (or /andboot, where haret.exe is) delete that and boot again. Watch for the calibration screen, it'll have little 4-square boxes. It may time out if you don't do it in time, which may very well be the cause of your issue. Do your best to hit the middle, and if you do it once well you can save that ts-calibration file and re-use it again and again. Hope that helps.

Just want to reiterate that the AIO from 3-31-2010 works. If I just lay the AIO from 5-11-2010 over the 3-31-2010 letting it overwrite everything (I've even moved the ts-calibration file out during this just to make sure something isn't happening to it) I still have the same problems with the screen being unresponsive once the desktop is loaded.

I've tried a clean sd of 5-11-2010 including going through calibration, samething happens. However, here it happens more that the screen goes unresponsive during the google account setup rather then going unresponsive at desktop/home screen.

I've tried building my own using the latest and get the same results as going with a clean sd of 5-11-2010 AIO.

Just to make sure it's not the SD I've tried 6 of them now, ranging in size from 4gb to 16gb all of them are at least class 4 though most are class 6. I've formated in windows, used the hp format tool and gpart. On any of them any andriod build other then AIO 3-31-2010 at some point when the screen goes unresponsive I start to get process hung/process didn't start messages.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
I don't think changing the "/data" version will work for more than the current session at most.

The boot script unconditionally "rm -rf"s the "/data/etc" directory at every boot and repopulates with "/system/etc"

Also I'm not sure which process loads up gps.conf so if you edit on the currently running /data/etc something might need to get rerun for the settings to "take". However, I'm not sure about that, it might be loaded everytime it is needed, in which case changing it on /data/etc would work for the current session until reboot.
You are right... but I am fairly confident that /system/etc/ is on a read only file system, and thus it is impossible to make persistent changes to it. So... I'm not entirely clear on what's going on.

In other news, latest rootfs does not squash the boot loop problem. Looking into it now.

Edit: BUUUUUT... manually fixing the permissions on dbus.conf DOES squash the bootloop problem... even if you do it in the middle of the boot loop over adb. so, fix the command in the rootfs, and it should be done.

Last edited by makkonen; 06-11-2010 at 08:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Raphael)
Carrier: Alltel or Verizon now...

GatorsUF is just getting started

Is there some good step by step for how to get the latest version running? I know you guys are working hard at it, but I don't understand what exactly I need to do to get the 06-06-10 version running.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

Is anyone getting the boot loop error currently?

If you are could you try the rootfs i posted? Hopefully if this works we could get it committed to the main branch.
Attached Files
File Type: rar rootfs.rar (3.04 MB, 25 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by peterm20; 06-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I am getting it, and I know why. the init is a mess. I was playing around with it earlier tonight, but it put me to sleep, so I didn't get a fix together.

peterm, are you seeing a problem in the boot logs with 'mkdir -m'? I'm noticing that having trouble, as well as chown. I see you switched all the chown to chown/chgrp pairs -- have to see if that fixes things.

I'm also noticing that even though the initramfs claims to load the rootfs as read-only, it's getting written to by commands in the init script, and these persist. I must be missing something there.

Edit: Bleh. Now I can't get it to boot loop. So weird.

Edit2: Oh, right. Gotta delete the cache folder, too, or it won't go into the boot loop. WTF, init script.

Edit3: It does seem your patch fixes the boot loop. The chown commands still throw a bunch of errors, though. Which is really bugging me.

Last edited by makkonen; 06-12-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
You are right... but I am fairly confident that /system/etc/ is on a read only file system, and thus it is impossible to make persistent changes to it. So... I'm not entirely clear on what's going on.
Oh I see, you are worrying that I'm not making the change I think I'm making.

I have /system mounted from an ext2 partition which I change to rw using "mount -o rw,remount /system"

Even not using an ext2 partition, if you want to make changes to system.sqsh you just need to unpack (outside of android on a linux box) with unsquashfs, make changes, and repack with mksquashfs.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

Oh. Yeah. That'll be persistent. I just assumed you were saying to do it from within android with the squashfs filesystem -- my mistake. Makes perfect sense now.

Although why /data/etc is wiped on boot is still a little baffling to me. As I mentioned, the whole thing is sort of a mess.

Last edited by makkonen; 06-12-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

New All-in-One posted. Latest xdandroid package, latest rootfs (plus peterm's anti-bootlooping tweaks; Thanks!), latest initramfs, latest kernel. Can't get GPS to work on RAPH500, but works fine on the RHOD400. Could use some feedback on that.

Feels pretty responsive on both systems.

Bless this little RAPH500... its slowness makes the TP2 (an absolute DOG with WinMo 6.5 stock) feel like a world class sprinter in Android. Funny how a change in perspective can do you good. (Of course, still no audio, and the backlight never turns off... so it's still less usable in Android... oh, I made myself sad.)

Tell me what works and what doesn't, and I'll stay on top of it if I can. Cheers, everyone.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
I am getting it, and I know why. the init is a mess. I was playing around with it earlier tonight, but it put me to sleep, so I didn't get a fix together.

peterm, are you seeing a problem in the boot logs with 'mkdir -m'? I'm noticing that having trouble, as well as chown. I see you switched all the chown to chown/chgrp pairs -- have to see if that fixes things.

I'm also noticing that even though the initramfs claims to load the rootfs as read-only, it's getting written to by commands in the init script, and these persist. I must be missing something there.

Edit: Bleh. Now I can't get it to boot loop. So weird.

Edit2: Oh, right. Gotta delete the cache folder, too, or it won't go into the boot loop. WTF, init script.

Edit3: It does seem your patch fixes the boot loop. The chown commands still throw a bunch of errors, though. Which is really bugging me.
I posted it on the XDA side too don't know if it will get committed, Im thinking the user 1002 is missing from the /etc/shadow / /etc/passwd files so the chgrp works but chown doesn't.
I'll keep messing with the permissions to see if I can figure out the other errors.

Last edited by peterm20; 06-12-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

I've got commit access to the rootfs, so I can push it upstream... but I'd like to get the rest of the issues sorted before I do. (Perhaps I'm a little too proud of my generally clean commits. )

if you connect with adb during the bootanimation, chown to 1002 (or 1002:1002) works... I don't know at which point that change is made, and if it's sometime while the init script is running (in which case we can just change the order). Moving the bit about dbus.conf down to the bottom of the file might've worked for me last night -- or I might've just missed the error message and forgot to delete the cache folder, so I just thought it worked. I was a bit tired.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux