PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bell Touch Pro, Telus P5310 (NEON400)
Carrier: Bell, Telus

88fingerslukee is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Anybody experiment with the SUPL AGPS server settings?

I changed it to the one Sprint phones usually use and now I sometimes get 8 second GPS locks. Mostly 10-30 seconds. However sometimes it will be 30-90 seconds. With the default settings it always seemed like it took a long time to get lock, probably 60+ seconds, but I didn't try to isolate why. It might have been as simple as needing a data connection open first before starting GPS. I recall there might have been a bug in the callback where the Qualcomm stuff asks for the data connection to be opened.

The setting is in

/system/etc/gps.conf

and it gets copied into

/data/etc/gps.conf

at boot time, so you only need to change it once at the source (and reboot)

This is what I changed

SUPL_HOST=68.28.31.49
SUPL_PORT=4503

This is what Sprint phones usually have it set to (including Touch Pro stock WM ROM) I wouldn't experiment using these settings if you are on a different carrier.

Verizon probably has their on SUPL server settings which you could look up if you were interested.
I tried this using Bell's AGPS server settings:

PDE IP Address: 206.47.201.75
PDE Port number: 8888

The results are much faster locks. Prior to doing this I was getting 5-10 MINUTE locks...if at all. Now I'm getting 60 second locks. I haven't tested extensively so I'll try some more and report back.

For future reference, the servers for most carriers are here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...11&postcount=2

Also, I had to edit the /data/etc/gps.conf file as the /system/etc/gps.conf is read-only.

thanks SFhub and Makk!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerslukee View Post
The results are much faster locks. Prior to doing this I was getting 5-10 MINUTE locks...if at all. Now I'm getting 60 second locks.
Also, I had to edit the /data/etc/gps.conf file as the /system/etc/gps.conf is read-only.
Glad it helped.

Just be aware that after reboot, the /system/etc/gps.conf will be put back, overwriting your changes.

You can get around this either by using the new ext2 image babijoee put out on the xda thread:

http://htcandroid.xland.cz/XDANDROID...6.2010.ext2.7z

or by running unsquashfs on a linux system for system.sqsh, replacing /system/etc/gps.conf, and then running mksquashfs.

If you went with the first way (ext2 img) which I think is simpler, after you boot into android, open up a terminal

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
[edit or copy in your proposed /system/etc/gps.conf]
mount -o ro,remount /system
exit
Alternatively, you could also add a command to copy in your proposed gps.conf at the end of /sdcard/[andboot/]conf/eclair.user.conf

Code:
# custom shell commands, these commands run last
custom_shells{
#echo "Hello!!!" # example
#echo "You can create your own commands here" # example
/bin/cp -f /sdcard/andboot/gps.conf /data/etc/gps.conf
/bin/chmod 644 /data/etc/gps.conf
}

Last edited by sfhub; 06-13-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

and if you do it with the latter method, make sure to unsquash/resquash as root, to preserve file ownership/permissions.

Alternately, you could probably stick a copy of the modified gps.conf in the rootfs, in /init.etc/. (Haven't tried this to make sure it'd work, but I don't see why not.)

Both of those methods contain a bunch more pitfalls than just using the ext2 system, though; so... yeah. Do that.

Playing with your fix now, sfhub. Will put together a new package with it and today's system.sqsh tonight, probably.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
Playing with your fix now, sfhub. Will put together a new package with it and today's system.sqsh tonight, probably.
Ok, I went ahead and updated everything to the 6/13/2010 AOSP package at xda. I tested exactly what was release, making sure to remove /sdcard/cache and /sdcard/andboot/data.img

The result is a much nicer animation (IMO) but unfortunately still looping. Can't call it looping X, though, now with the new animation.

I then did two things:
1) replace the included rootfs.img with the one that has the "PATH" fix I mentioned earlier (attached to this post)
2) get rid of "chmod 777 /data/etc/dbus.conf" which snuck in with the latest xda release, both to prove it is unecessary and because it is now redundant

I also updated the rootfs.img to be the latest/2nd 06/12/2010 release (cacfdc7) version, from the autobuild, with the nordic keymappings since we might as well help the most people possible.

After those changes, I verified, there are no more console errors about "no such user '-R'" and "no such user '1002:1002'" as well as the other mkdir and chmod errors.

More importantly I verified the looping at animation is gone and was able to get to the Android initial config screen.

Also, if you are going to use the rootfs.img I'm attaching, please test it after removing data.img and cache. I tested it twice, but am not beyond making mistakes

Both diffs follow below (and are attached)
Code:
! PATH=/sbin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/bin:/system/xbin:/system/xbin/bb:/data/local/bin

/bin/echo "Rootfs loaded."

--- 7,20 ----

/bin/mount -o remount,rw / /

! # Looping X animation fix
! # change PATH to put /bin in front of /system/bin to fix looping X animation
! # bug. /system/bin versions of some commands were being run which appear to
! # accept restricted options causing commands to fail and therefore not setup
! # the system properly.  User would see errors on the console like
! # "no such user '-R'" or "no such user '1000:1000'"
! #
! PATH=/sbin:/bin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/system/xbin:/system/xbin/bb:/data/local/bin

/bin/echo "Rootfs loaded."

*** 156,167 ****
  cp -a /system/etc/* /etc
  cp -ar /init.etc/* /etc/

- #Possible fix for looping animation. stinebd/gm112
- #First push by babijoee :)
- chown 1002:1002 /etc/dbus.conf
- chmod 440 /etc/dbus.conf
- 
- 
  LCDDENSITY=`/bin/grep -o "lcd.density=.*" /proc/cmdline | /bin/sed -e "s/.*lcd.density=//g" -e "s/ .*//g"`

if [ "$LCDDENSITY" != "" ] ; then
--- 163,168 ----
*** 516,519 ****
--- 517,527 ----
  mknod /dev/msm_camera/frame0 c 250 2
  chmod a+s /bin/pppd

+ # Looping X animation fix
+ # Change PATH back to original in case the change is required for init.android
+ # whether for security purposes or just for it to run properly.  See earlier
+ # change above.
+ #
+ PATH=/sbin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/bin:/system/xbin:/system/xbin/bb:/data/local/bin
+ 
  exec /init.android

*** sdcard/andboot/conf/eclair.user.conf Sat Jun 12 18:22:57 2010
--- sdcard/andboot/conf/eclair.user.conf-fix Sat Jun 12 18:22:57 2010
*** 48,54 ****

custom_shells{
- chmod 777 /etc/dbus.conf
  }
--- 48,53 ----
Attached Files
File Type: zip rootfs.zip (4.49 MB, 18 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: txt diff-loopingx-v2.txt (2.0 KB, 1 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Re-updated the AIO package in post #1. Now includes sfhub's solution for the boot looping and the 6-13 system.sqsh (with the great new boot animation... probably other improvements, too; I've been too caught up with the boot animation to notice, though).
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: telus

stanelie2 is a n00b

Hum...
Hopefully, this hasn't been answered before, but how does one do the accented characters with the hardware keyboard?

On the actual G1, it's just a matter of holding down the letter long enough, and then, a popup appears with the different versions of the letter with all possible accents... On the raph800, it just repeats the letter...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

I think the keyboard is a little lacking in that regard. If you need accented characters, you'll probably have to rely on a software keyboard for them. I didn't realize that a long press gave a popup on the G1 -- that'd be a nice feature for our keyboards. Especially because there are a lot of very useful keys for the terminal (>, |, etc.) that have not been mapped for many phones.

On the RAPH500, at this point, if you want capital letters, you'll have to rely on a software keyboard for them, too.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bell Touch Pro, Telus P5310 (NEON400)
Carrier: Bell, Telus

88fingerslukee is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Glad it helped.

Just be aware that after reboot, the /system/etc/gps.conf will be put back, overwriting your changes.

You can get around this either by using the new ext2 image babijoee put out on the xda thread:

http://htcandroid.xland.cz/XDANDROID...6.2010.ext2.7z

or by running unsquashfs on a linux system for system.sqsh, replacing /system/etc/gps.conf, and then running mksquashfs.

If you went with the first way (ext2 img) which I think is simpler, after you boot into android, open up a terminal

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
[edit or copy in your proposed /system/etc/gps.conf]
mount -o ro,remount /system
exit
Alternatively, you could also add a command to copy in your proposed gps.conf at the end of /sdcard/[andboot/]conf/eclair.user.conf

Code:
custom_shells{
/bin/cp -f /sdcard/andboot/gps.conf /data/etc/gps.conf
/bin/chmod 644 /data/etc/gps.conf
}

Dammit, just saw my changes undone.

For the ext2 fs - which I would prefer to use anyway - there seem to be no instructions. I assume I have to format my sd card with an ext2 partition or can i place the system.ext2 file on the sdcard just like the sqsh file?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerslukee View Post
Dammit, just saw my changes undone.

For the ext2 fs - which I would prefer to use anyway - there seem to be no instructions. I assume I have to format my sd card with an ext2 partition or can i place the system.ext2 file on the sdcard just like the sqsh file?
You don't need to partition to use that file.

Just remove (or move to backup directory) your system.sqsh and replace with system.ext2

/system will mount fine just like before, except now it will be ext2 instead of squashfs, which means you'll be able to remount it rw instead of being limited to ro only.

Keep in mind this will probably be a new Android release for you so there could be other changes you were not expecting.

If you just want a more permanent solution using your existing Android version, probably having the file copied in from eclair.user.conf would be simplest.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Flak is a n00b

just grabbed the new AIO. probably the fastest yet, very smooth. However, I'm having one problem. I don't get data services of any kind and ever so often I am getting errors in regards to my sim card doesn't let me attach to this network. I am using a sprint touch pro on sprint so no sim card.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux