PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - PRE-ALPHA (not yet usable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
Seems to run better than I expected. The screen calibration is off though, which I saw discussed elsewhere. You have to swipe up and down to get it to go left and right, and vise versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karafa View Post
I am trying to redo the calibration data.. these numbers:

echo 800,875,100,675,450,575,800,175,100,175 > /sys/class/input/input3/calibration_points

What are they? I'm guessing they are 5 points on the touch screen..? Can you provide any additional info on them?
ok. It seems like a bunch of people are having trouble with the calibration. For the end users: Delete /Storage Card/conf/eclair.user.conf. Download eclair.user.conf.txt from the first post in this thread. Rename it to eclair.user.conf. Put it in /Storage Card/conf/, where the old eclair.user.conf was.

If you've done this all successfully, the calibration should be completely usable. Clicks on the right side of the touchscreen will report as being about 3-5mm left of where you have clicked, but otherwise everything should be about correct (up is up, down is down, etc.). Sorry for the extra complication, but this feels much less agonizing than the old touchscreen, once it mostly works.

karafa, and any others who are interested in more detail (I'll spell this out in extra detail, just in case someone needs it): echo is a posix command to simply echo back the text entered. > causes the output of echo to be directed to the file in question -- calibration_points is the location of the device's user-accesible calibration interface. I assume on the device this code was meant for (HTC Tattoo, I'm guessing) there was a built in android function to talk to it.

And the important bit: those 10 numbers are of the form X1,Y1,X2,Y2,X3,Y3,X4,Y4,X5,Y5, and are the XY coordinates of the 5 points on the touchscreen used to calibrate it (Upper Left, Upper Right, Center, Lower Left, Lower Right). Because it natively reads the coordinates in such a backwards way (hence the upside down and backwards-ness of it when it doesn't correctly read the calibration settings), these numbers end up looking a little crazy. But those were the best I could come up with.

If you open the dev tools > pointer position (? something like that) you can see what it's reading. If you echo new numbers to /sys/class/input/input3/calibration_points, it'll immediately update, and you can see if it makes the pointer any more accurate.

But that's not a good use of your time, because just having the device read and write the calibration should be much better, as soon as it works.

OK. All for now.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

karafa is just getting started

OK, after fooling around with values, I've found that:

works best for me. There were two X values of 100 that I changed to 175. I'm thinking there might not be one answer for everyone, though, everyone's screen might be different. That's one of the disadvantages to resistive touch screens vs capacitive touch screens, at least that's what I read. So, YMMV with those values, but play around with them and use the Pointer Tool to see your results. Thanks for all your help, makkonen.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch, Mogul

smarcin is a n00b
The good, the bad and the ugly

First, I want to thank makkonen for all the hard work on the RAPH800. I have both a Touch and a Touch Pro, and have been following countless threads here at PPCgeeks, as well as at XDA and CUTB. I'm also following the RAPH800 on the Wave. I realize each seemingly little problem, is really hard and time consuming to solve. Especially for the Diamond and Raphael, as there are so MANY different versions of our phones. Then there's the CDMA vs GSM versions. All work differently, even the hardware keyboards.

Here's what I'm experiencing. The good thing is, I have 3G data. SMS works just fine. (I actually like Handcent better than the included Messenging app.) I applied karafa's change to my eclair.user.conf file and the touch screen works PERFECTLY now! Thanks for fixing it, karafa.

The bad: the Market mostly causes my phone to crash. Sometimes it's just browsing the Market, but almost always when I try to download apps, my phone spontaneously reboots. Then, because Android remembers your downloads, when I get it booted back into Android, it often crashes before I can cancel the download.

The ugly. I DO use the hack of starting a call in WM before hitting haret. The first call I make usually works. I can hear and sometimes the person I'm calling can hear me. Sometimes they hear only static, though. After that first call, I don't even hear anything, and they get static when they answer. If someone calls me, I have no ringer, though the volume is turned up. I believe this is a known bug, though? I see the call on my screen. When I go to answer, I get nothing. The person calling me gets static.

One thing I did was to remove Twidroid from my phone. It's a known problem that it uses a lot of resources by trying to connect frequently. In order to remove this or any other app you don't want that came with this build, you need to uninstall it. Then remove it from the app folder. Then delete your data.img, and build a new one. You might get away with deleting all or part of your cache, though. I didn't try that. If you don't do this, it's still in the data and WILL come back. Next time, I'll just delete it and any other apps I don't want from the Apps folder before I run Android for the first time.

I'm also getting a lot of fsck files generated, presumably at boot up. These, as I understand, are file system checks, supposedly because there's some problem with file corruption?

I have no real reason to prove this, but I'm thinking the Market problems are caused by memory issues, as in running out of memory. This could also account for other lockups and random reboots. Perhaps leaning out the number of apps that come with this build might help. We can, theoretically, download what we need from the Market. Something else that might help is something that is working on the Touch. On the Touch you can partition your SD card. You make the first partition fat32, and the other 2 partitions ext2. It seems to run faster that way, and I'd bet it also helps with memory issues. Of course you need access to LINUX to do this. Either a LINUX install (I dual boot my laptop) or running from a live LINUX CD/DVD. I think this is handled in the .conf file as well as the rootfs, though, so both would need to be set up to take advantage of this. A swap partition might help, too, though it might shorten the life of your SD card. (I just by the ones with a "lifetime" warranty.)

Sorry if this is so long winded. I hope it helps.

Sally

RAPH800
Sprint SERO
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Yibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good work

I didn't change the conf file from a text so that explains my problem. now it's working great.
Thanks for all the hard work and the responsive forum community!

Last edited by Yibrushn; 01-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

foxmotoracer23 is just getting started

Has anyone else experienced no sound at all? I cant hear ringers, phone calls, etc. Im running Babijoee's latest jan 16 build w/ the newest modules etc from here. Running sprint touch pro. Everything else works great touchscreen, keyboard, etc. Can send texts etc. Just lost sound in this build. Ive erased the data file etc. Did a fresh install of all new files a couple times but still no sound.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karafa View Post
OK, after fooling around with values, I've found that:

works best for me. There were two X values of 100 that I changed to 175. I'm thinking there might not be one answer for everyone, though, everyone's screen might be different. That's one of the disadvantages to resistive touch screens vs capacitive touch screens, at least that's what I read. So, YMMV with those values, but play around with them and use the Pointer Tool to see your results. Thanks for all your help, makkonen.
Thanks! That does seem pretty much perfect. I'll update the first post. Better and better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmotoracer23 View Post
Has anyone else experienced no sound at all? I cant hear ringers, phone calls, etc. Im running Babijoee's latest jan 16 build w/ the newest modules etc from here. Running sprint touch pro. Everything else works great touchscreen, keyboard, etc. Can send texts etc. Just lost sound in this build. Ive erased the data file etc. Did a fresh install of all new files a couple times but still no sound.
Huh. Yeah, now that you mention it, I am. Not sure if it's kernel or system package-related. I'll check it out. Better and better and worse and worse, all at the same time.

Edit: bleh. Yeah. It's the kernel killing audio. Does anyone have working audio with the 1-15 kernel? Time to go back and find out what I added that knocked it out.

Last edited by makkonen; 01-17-2010 at 05:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

mindspin is a n00b

I am having trouble loading the latest version of eclair i keep getting waiting for sd card, do i need to unzip the modules to the same location the exe is at?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

I haven't gotten a conclusive answer from anyone with the 'waiting for sd card' problem of what fixes it. possibly switching sd cards. possibly reformatting the sd card. possibly adding 'rootdelay=5' (without the quotes) along with the other cmdline parameters to your startup.txt.

I can, however, answer conclusively here: you do not need to extract the modules. Just drop the zImage and the modules-2.6.27-blahblahblah.tar.gz in the root of your sd card.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

breity is a n00b

really amazing progress here. it's getting closer and closer to being really usable as an everyday OS. i'm still getting resets (also in market from time to time), as well as slowdowns after about 20 minutes sometimes that force me to reset as well. but sms, data, browsing, gmail, calendar are all working great. calls seem to be hit or miss. can't wait until i can use android as my primary OS. the google account integration is just so awesome. thanks to everyone for their hard work!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael 800 (Touch Pro)

artlan is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
bleh. Yeah. It's the kernel killing audio. Does anyone have working audio with the 1-15 kernel? Time to go back and find out what I added that knocked it out.
I don't know about the 1/15 kernel, but I know sound was working for me in the 1/10

Speaking of sound - is there a way to boost it? in WM my max volume is pretty loud and I can listen to music or talk on speaker phone, but in android at max vol speaker phone is basically worthless unless I hold it to my face and media is almost as bad.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux