PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro, ROM Du Jour
Carrier: Sprint

computhug is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - PRE-ALPHA (not yet usable)

Touchscreen calibration

After applying the latest XDAndroid and Makkonen's updates, I had some issues with my touchscreen. I tried the provided eclair.user.conf as well as the coordinates given by karafa, but my screen alignment was still rather off. So I took a shot in the dark that actually gave me very good results. Figured others might find this useful, FWIW here's what I did:

I calibrated my screen in Windows Mobile and pulled the coordinate data from the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
"CalibrationData"="497,527 800,843 798,205 203,209 204,841"

These correspond to the following points on the screen (in the order they appear when performing a WinMo screen align:
497,527 = center
800,843 = upper left
798,205 = lower left
203,209 = lower right
204,841 = upper right

I reshuffled these into the order that Android reads them, per Makkonen's earlier post:
800,843 = upper left
204,841 = upper right
497,527 = center
798,205 = lower left
203,209 = lower right

Finally, I updated eclair.user.conf with my new numbers as follows:
echo 800,843,204,841,497,527,798,205,203,209 > /sys/class/input/input3/calibration_points

Using this calibration data, my screen alignment in Android has been flawless. For example, I have no problems with the 'P' key on the soft keyboard. Using the Notification and App sliders is a breeze, as is moving between homescreens and general scrolling.

Some other random observations on the 1/16 build: sound not working for me either, but overall stability seems improved. Nothing specific I can point to there, other than not having a spontanious reboot so far after an hour of playing around, just my impression. Oh, and the Power Off function actually shut down my phone correctly! That's a first since I've been using the Eclair builds, previously it would always crash/hang when shutting down. It may not have been hurting anything, but but I feel better that I no longer have to soft reset to get out of Android.

BIG BIG UPS to Makkonen & the XDAndroid team, this just keeps getting better!

EDIT: Please note that the calibration data I used was specifically from my phone's screen alignment in Windows Mobile. My Touch Pro's screen is dinged, scratched and generally not well cared for - that could easily skew my calibration numbers from the 'norm'. I wouldn't suggest using my numbers, if anyone else actually tries this you should instead do a WinMo screen align on your own device and use the numbers from your registry. Just an extra 2 cents.

Last edited by computhug; 01-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

karafa is just getting started

I can also confirm no sound.

This is great, this calibration change is a big deal. It really is usable. I was waiting for it to crash to have a look at some logs to see what was causing it to crash, and I couldn't even get it to crash! I left it alone and saw I had missed calls/texts (not because of an error, I just left my phone in the other room). It's behaving like a real phone now.

Very excited to see optimization on this!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Wow. Very cool stuff, Computhug. Unfortunately, those settings give me slightly worse results than karafa's updates to my hand rolled version.

I assume this is because the points that windows mobile uses to calibrate are closer to the center of the screen than HTC's. Or something like that.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

karafa is just getting started

Correction - I do have sound, though I'm not sure what caused it to work.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
Wow. Very cool stuff, Computhug. Unfortunately, those settings give me slightly worse results than karafa's updates to my hand rolled version.

I assume this is because the points that windows mobile uses to calibrate are closer to the center of the screen than HTC's. Or something like that.
Did you take the data from your own registry, or just plug in my numbers? My touchscreen has seen better days, and I doubt my cal data will work well on most other devices.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I took my own, and even went to the trouble of recalibrating right before grabbing the data. It was pretty consistently off. When I clicked at about 3mm in from any corner, it would read at the farthest point into the corner. (minimally off, but enough to be annoying). Not sure if it was just the way I calibrated it, or if they're actually using different data.

phh is still working on calibration code that can run in linux -- he doesn't like the idea of relying on winmo. At least we're starting to have options, and we know we can get it right with some tweaking.

In other news, new kernel coming -- fixes sound, at the cost of power off not working. (for some reason the power off fix from a few days ago makes the audio RPC timeout at the kernel level. really weird. I assume there's a more elegant fix, but for now, I'd rather have audio and no shutdown than vice versa)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

foxmotoracer23 is just getting started

Quote:
In other news, new kernel coming -- fixes sound, at the cost of power off not working. (for some reason the power off fix from a few days ago makes the audio RPC timeout at the kernel level. really weird. I assume there's a more elegant fix, but for now, I'd rather have audio and no shutdown than vice versa)
Same here. I really don't care about the shut down working yet... But sound is something I use everyday. Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: us cellular

tgun65 is a n00b

I too have no sound with the 1-16 build. Happily though wifi and data seem to be functioning perfectly. Haven't had a crash either and shutdown does actually work. You guys all rock.

Also, Thanks for the wave Makkonen
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 PM
N00b

Quote:
I took my own, and even went to the trouble of recalibrating right before grabbing the data. It was pretty consistently off. When I clicked at about 3mm in from any corner, it would read at the farthest point into the corner. (minimally off, but enough to be annoying). Not sure if it was just the way I calibrated it, or if they're actually using different data.
I see what you mean, using the pointer tool in dev apps karafa's values produce better results than my own. For whatever reason though, at least to my perception, I get better touchscreen behavior in the UI if I stick with mine. Regardless, you're right about a native calibration app being worth the wait!

FYI, new kernel seems more snappy & responsive, but I just got my first spontaneous reboot while using the browser. Let me know if there's any specific or directed testing you'd like to see done. While I'm no Linux guy, I am a software QA analyst by trade and testing is my thing. As always, thanks for doing what you do.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: ChinaTelecom

Vincentchan is a n00b

ohoh,try this newest pack[16.01.01].Can boot,but so slow. Everything is slow.1st,splash screen at 1st boot take too long.Then got into system,every click take long time to get response.And stop at the "Learn how to use you XADNDROID" screen.No response neither click on skip or begin.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux