PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

karafa is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - PRE-ALPHA (not yet usable)

I'm glad the keyboard issues were fixed. Much more natual typing.. Had a full conversation over SMS and didn't even realize i was running a different OS.

Regarding the screen, the right edge of the screen doesn't seem to work. For example, on the on screen keyboard, I can't hit the P key. It just snaps to the O key. It's like that up and down the whole edge. Maybe it's something to do with the calibration data?

There are indeed random slowdowns and reboots, but this is really, really fun to play with. Seems to make the phone a little warm, and therefore drains the battery a little more probably, but it's certainly usable. I really want to know what I can do to help. Does anyone know of a way to look at crash logs in android? Maybe we can start to at least identify what's making the phone restart or slowdown.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael 800 (Touch Pro)

artlan is just getting started

I think there may be a typo in the new .conf file.

In the new calibration line, at the start you have "exampleecho" instead of "example#echo" ?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrialex View Post
First off, if I missed it somewhere, sorry, haven't followed Android for the Touch Pro until recently.

From the way I am reading the instructions and the rest of this thread, everything is installed on the SD card, then ran? So if you swap out SD cards you will still be running WinMo?
HaRET only loads Android into memory. Soft reset, and you're back to WinMo. It doesn't touch the ROM/nand. You don't need to switch out the SD card to get out of it, if that's what you're asking.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karafa View Post
I'm glad the keyboard issues were fixed. Much more natual typing.. Had a full conversation over SMS and didn't even realize i was running a different OS.

Regarding the screen, the right edge of the screen doesn't seem to work. For example, on the on screen keyboard, I can't hit the P key. It just snaps to the O key. It's like that up and down the whole edge. Maybe it's something to do with the calibration data?

There are indeed random slowdowns and reboots, but this is really, really fun to play with. Seems to make the phone a little warm, and therefore drains the battery a little more probably, but it's certainly usable. I really want to know what I can do to help. Does anyone know of a way to look at crash logs in android? Maybe we can start to at least identify what's making the phone restart or slowdown.
If you've got a wave account, I've posted up a bunch more info on building/testing/debugging on there. I'm going to move some of it over to this thread, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. If you've got a wave account, there's a link in the first post. If you don't, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

As for the screen, yeah, that's the calibration problem I was mentioning. I had to manually divine all those calibration numbers as they show up in eclair.user.conf, because at this point there's no calibration tool. If you want to try echoing different values into /sys/class/input/input3/calibration_points you might get something that works better. Or, hopefully, we'll get a calibration tool up and running in the next few days, and that'll fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlan View Post
I think there may be a typo in the new .conf file.

In the new calibration line, at the start you have "exampleecho" instead of "example#echo" ?
It looks like that in notepad, because of the differences in CR/LF standards between windows and linux. It should be fine as is, though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

chrialex is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
HaRET only loads Android into memory. Soft reset, and you're back to WinMo. It doesn't touch the ROM/nand. You don't need to switch out the SD card to get out of it, if that's what you're asking.
Sweet, I had been holding off doing anything with Android because I was worried about messing up my phone and having to reflash and everything. Wish I had known this sooner, thanks!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

xcheljd is a n00b

I'm having trouble with haret now. Usually when I launch it, everything goes automatically. Now when I launch it, it just stays in the program. Any suggestions? this has never happened before
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

That's the result of no startup.txt, or else a startup.txt that doesn't actually have a command to boot a linux kernel.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

rojeet is a n00b

thanks makkonen for giving us updates! the progress being made is incredible! has anyone tried using the version of Eclair that was posted today over on xda developers? It has live backgrounds now, but unfortunately theyre kind of slow. Is it possible to tweak android like we can for windows mobile to make it faster?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

Yeah, today's eclair version (XDANDROID.16.01.10) is the one you have to use if you want (almost) fully working keyboard as well as working data. I haven't played with the live backgrounds yet, though.

The biggest speed tweak would be getting the second bank of memory working (there's 80 more MB of RAM that are simply being ignored by Android, since when they aren't, they cause crashes). MrPippy is working on that now, and he's had a couple breakthroughs recently, but he hasn't gotten anything working with reasonable stability. Hopefully he'll get there soon.

Other than that... there are lots of things that are running unnecessarily, I think, just due to this kernel being seriously unoptimized code at this point. In time, the big bugs will fall, and then the smaller ones will fall, and then the extraneous stuff will get weeded out and it will run faster. At least, that's my guess. Whether anyone will still have a Touch Pro by that time is another question.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Raphael)
Carrier: Alltel or Verizon now...

GatorsUF is just getting started

Seems to run better than I expected. The screen calibration is off though, which I saw discussed elsewhere. You have to swipe up and down to get it to go left and right, and vise versa.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux