PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM | Eclair | *Updated | 6/10/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasden View Post
Here is the info regarding getting the ROM added.
thx man, definitely want to get this working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindjew View Post
OMJ, from my understanding, If I add any apk to data--->app folder then it will automatically be installed when flashing the ROM (i noticed task killer, hz manager, titaniumbackup, rommanager, palringingo, queueman, and placeholder). So if I didn't want any of these programs, I can just delete them, correct?

With that train of thought, I noticed that the Amazon MP3 is in system-->app folder. Can I just delete the amazon mp3, twitter, facebook, friendstream, footprints, teeter, etc)?

Also, what is placeholder? and which file installs Sprint Hotspot?

Thanks - I figure the lighter the load on the phone, the snappier the phone.
I'm not sure that a lighter rom would result in snappier....

I have removed the statement I had on post #1 saying you can add/remove apks in the zip.

Here's why.....when cooking the rom, the zip gets "signed", when you add or remove anything, technically the zip file should be re-signed. As others have already reported, they have added or removed apks w/o issue, but fyi, this *may* cause issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntiger View Post
Ok is anyone else experiencing the uhhhh well suckyness of 4G coverage. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where it has been deployed for about 8 months and the speed is awesome when I can get a signal but when most of the time it just causes disconections when switching between 3g and 4g with wifi tether oh and I also haven't been able to get HTC sync to work. I wouldn't use it at all if anyone knew why my exchange account wont sync my calender.
were you having these same coverage issues on the stock rom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Another happy wiper! Congrats! I've read instructions that recommend 2 wipes per each storage area.
We were talking about the wipe yesterday:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/member.php?u=279543

So in the immortal words of OMJ:
funny guy, lol

looks like I need to add wiping to FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindjew View Post
As usual, winmonewbie, thanks! I just want to remove a bunch of apps I know I will never use. I've noticed a few of them sporadically running when I'm killing tasks. As with Sprint Hotspot, I dont want to accidentally run it and incur charges. I figure that we have a new wifi app running within, why leave it on there?
I left the Sprint hotspot app, cause believe it or not, some ppl said they were paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
Alarm not going off. Not sure why. Anyone else with this issue?
just tested, worked fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlepyro View Post
Have been on vacation in New York for over a week and deprived of my new EVO sitting at home waiting. Finally rooted and flashed to your new rom OMJ. Must say, thanks again and congrats on being a MOD. Look forward to all your updates.
thx pyro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRZ69 View Post
I had my evo paired before i flashed omjs version 2 just wonderin if theres somethin in the rom thats preventing the phone to pair.
there shouldn't be anything changed in the rom that would affect pairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtlm View Post
So, I have been flashing back and forth between roms, so I have been wiping each time. Sense allows you to save your custom scene, but after a wipe and flash, the custom scene I save is gone. Where does this get saved? I assume not on the SD card since it gets wiped out. Any way to back this up and restore after wiping data?
it gets saved in the Data partition, and when a wipe is done, well u know what...sounds like titanium will help ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
Flashed OMJ a couple of days ago...i've noticed it mentioned that wipe(s) between ROM flash may not be necessary...is it just for the "same" ROM...or flashing to other chefs' ROMs as well?

ON ROM manager...I had isses with it on my initial root and recovery process. But I've had no issues with the auto recovery as soon as I was on OMJ's.
from what I've read, it definitely best to wipe when going from one chef rom to another, but when going from one version of a chefs rom to another version, it may not be needed....but it's always recommended.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

OMJ- And the NAND falls!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=6800690
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
yeah I just saw...time to read
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

r.mauldin is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
yeah I just saw...time to read
What are the advantages of the new root? I am a driod newb and have no clue. I am downloading the files for the part2. I figure I might as well learn how to do it. Just in case later I need to be able to.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
What are the advantages of the new root? I am a driod newb and have no clue. I am downloading the files for the part2. I figure I might as well learn how to do it. Just in case later I need to be able to.
From frakenstein @ XDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein\ View Post
There are a couple of key things that it does. First it unlocks the bits of your system that remain locked via nand. basically the system is being told to mount certain directories like /system as read only and not let you remount it as RW. This means your rooted but not completely because you can't re-mount these directories as RW under the android os. Doing this will allow you to remount /system as RW or read/write under the andriod os which will allow you modify things in the /system/app directory letting you clean up bloatware you don't want without having to boot into recovery to do so. (Among other things... that's just a good example of what this gives you.)

The second key thing it does is flash a custom recovery image, basically the same one you load now via toast's recovery-windows.bat process, that you can boot into directly from the HBOOT menu. This means that when you want to flash a new ROM or do a nandroid backup, you don't have to go find a computer with the android sdk and toast's evo-recovery.zip extracted on it to run recovery-windows.bat in order to do so. you can dl a new rom directly to your devices sd card and go to town or boot directly into recovery and run your nandroid backup without needing a computer and the previously mentioned tool set to do so. This was also prevented by the nand locking that this process overcomes.

in short, part 1 gave you root but only about 1/2 of it. You could run apps that require su/root but you can't modify key parts of the system that you should have access to as root. Part 2 completes the root process giving you 100% control of your system without having to jump through hoops to achieve it.
And as I understand it you WILL need to do it to flash a custom ROM written for full root (could be wrong on that)

EDIT: Damn! Look at all the sexy sigs on this page

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Once I figured out to connect the phone in "charge" mode everything went smooth. I wish I could understand the whole adb shell thing. But it worked by just doing a cut and paste of the commands into it.

Thanks everyone for the help. I dont realy know what I am doing. But just in case I need it I am now fully rooted.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

Yea the adb shell thing required me to do some reading, but in the end, it worked out just fine!
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I just installed mobile defender to the system files. How do we use the full root to delete out system application that we dont want? Can I now delete google talk? I dont use this application and dont want it running on its own.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
N00b

nvrnugh is just getting started

My first custom rom and I didn't brick! sweeeet Thanks so much to both you toast and RXB!

Supern00b nod!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff

OMJ... FIRE ass rom.... whats up with the one in making? got an ETA?
Your welcome

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development