View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 PM
iknowsquat
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM | Eclair | *Updated | 6/10/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
What are the advantages of the new root? I am a driod newb and have no clue. I am downloading the files for the part2. I figure I might as well learn how to do it. Just in case later I need to be able to.
From frakenstein @ XDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein\ View Post
There are a couple of key things that it does. First it unlocks the bits of your system that remain locked via nand. basically the system is being told to mount certain directories like /system as read only and not let you remount it as RW. This means your rooted but not completely because you can't re-mount these directories as RW under the android os. Doing this will allow you to remount /system as RW or read/write under the andriod os which will allow you modify things in the /system/app directory letting you clean up bloatware you don't want without having to boot into recovery to do so. (Among other things... that's just a good example of what this gives you.)

The second key thing it does is flash a custom recovery image, basically the same one you load now via toast's recovery-windows.bat process, that you can boot into directly from the HBOOT menu. This means that when you want to flash a new ROM or do a nandroid backup, you don't have to go find a computer with the android sdk and toast's evo-recovery.zip extracted on it to run recovery-windows.bat in order to do so. you can dl a new rom directly to your devices sd card and go to town or boot directly into recovery and run your nandroid backup without needing a computer and the previously mentioned tool set to do so. This was also prevented by the nand locking that this process overcomes.

in short, part 1 gave you root but only about 1/2 of it. You could run apps that require su/root but you can't modify key parts of the system that you should have access to as root. Part 2 completes the root process giving you 100% control of your system without having to jump through hoops to achieve it.
And as I understand it you WILL need to do it to flash a custom ROM written for full root (could be wrong on that)

EDIT: Damn! Look at all the sexy sigs on this page

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.