PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM v1.8 | Eclair | *Updated | 7/18/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck12 View Post
I am running on 1.4 and I am trying to put a new one in do i install 1.7 first then 1.8? I also forgot how to install new roms can someone help me out
Yes, you need to do 1.7 ROM1 first (make sure you are "fully" rooted-verify when you boot into bootloader that your hboot version is .76.2)
After that you can go to 1.8.
Read FASTRX8's Tutorial in my sig for a refresher on flashing ROM's
But 1.7 ROM1 is NOT flashed like a normal ROM. You need to place the file on your the root of your SD card named PC36IMG.zip (it's downloaded that way)
Double check the instructions here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...postcount=1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
So what is a deodexed ROM? What is the advantage to flashing it over a normal ROM?

I'm just trying to determine if it's worth me flashing and setting up again or if it's something I won't see any advantage to anyway...

1.7 is running pretty nice for me but I'm always game to improve things...
Well OMJ installed apps2sd in 1.8 (untested) but it recommended that we use a Class 6 card.
deodexing allows themes to be applied more easily. Ive read it can cause stability issues. Just got on 1.8D myself but so far so good.
If you arent interested in themes or apps2sd stay where you are, otherwise jump to 1.8. Read post #2 about flashing your data.img post flash. SO easy to get back all your settings and data.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-18-2010 at 10:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

richarc93 is becoming a great contributor
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM v1.7 | Eclair | *Updated | 7/15/10*

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and try to do PART 2... And of course, I hit a snag right away. Ok.. my issue is in the adb shell.. How do I input the info. Totally noob question but...
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
I tried input each line and pressing enter. That gave me file folder not found.
Then I tried CAT (enter) and then the lines and that appeared to work. However I'm supposed to get each line repeated back to me 1 time. I got them 2 times each..?? Well, since it looked like it worked. I tried TOAST II pc36img.zip... Well, it appeared as it was working but then after reading the file I got and error:

Main Version is Older!
Update Fail!
Do you want to reboot device?

Lets see if I can even reboot now...

Am I missing something? My command prompt does show # and not $ like tutorials show, could that be the problem. If so, how do I get back to the $ prompt?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

buck12 is a n00b

so i would have to replace the PC36IMG.zip with the 1.7 one?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarc93 View Post
Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and try to do PART 2... And of course, I hit a snag right away. Ok.. my issue is in the adb shell.. How do I input the info. Totally noob question but...
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
I tried input each line and pressing enter. That gave me file folder not found.
Then I tried CAT (enter) and then the lines and that appeared to work. However I'm supposed to get each line repeated back to me 1 time. I got them 2 times each..?? Well, since it looked like it worked. I tried TOAST II pc36img.zip... Well, it appeared as it was working but then after reading the file I got and error:

Main Version is Older!
Update Fail!

Lets see if I can even reboot now...

Am I missing something? My command prompt does show # and not $ like tutorials show, could that be the problem. If so, how do I get back to the $ prompt?
Well the LAST error is most likely due to the fact that the mtd-eng step did not work.
Not sure on the first error. Run it again and make sure that you are typing the code exactly as it should be.

Quote:
WHAT PC36IMG file? Once you are finished with the rooting process you should rename or remove those files. So if you still had that on your card then yes, replace that one with the OMJ ROM 1 file.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
yep you dont need pc36 anymore it was only to root cell.... so delete that one and replace with OMJ pc36

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Well OMJ installed apps2sd in 1.8 (untested) but it recommended that we use a Class 6 card.
deodexing allows themes to be applied more easily. Ive read it can cause stability issues. Just got on 1.8D myself but so far so good.
If you arent interested in themes or apps2sd stay where you are, otherwise jump to 1.8. Read post #2 about flashing your data.img post flash. SO easy to get back all your settings and data.
Cool, I still have the card that came with the phone, so apps2sd isn't a big deal for me yet. And I am not too worried about themes at the moment, so I guess I'll sit this one out. Thanks bro.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Well the LAST error is most likely due to the fact that the mtd-eng step did not work.
Not sure on the first error. Run it again and make sure that you are typing the code exactly as it should be.

WHAT PC36IMG file? Once you are finished with the rooting process you should rename or remove those files. So if you still had that on your card then yes, replace that one with the OMJ ROM 1 file.
Ok, I'm on my 3rd attempt at reading the PC36IMG.ZIP file..
The problem I keep getting is at the
It repeats the line 1 time but I also get the /sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory as another line.
The other 2 set of instructions repeat 1 time as they are supposed to.

Ok, 3 time FAILED again. With the error:

Main Version is Older!
Update Fail!

Just to clarify, I am supposed to use TOASTs PC36IMG.ZIP file right... Not v1.7 ROM1?? Could that be why it's saying it's old.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch Pro

bigdaddie is becoming a great contributor

Where is app2sd? I can't find it anywhere... Running 1.8D
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:

Forgot to ask if the PC36IMG.ZIP by Toast is supposed to give you an error when you try to open it to see it's content? OMJ's PC36IMG.ZIP I can view no problems.. But Toasts I can't. I've tried downloading 2 others but they have the same issue?? Is that right?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

buck12 is a n00b

nice i can do this from rom manager right?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development