PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ Jun 30 ] [ 23001 \ 21051 ] [ v5 ] Calkulin's Kitchen & ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Considering how tiny dsms are (usually less than 2kb), it's not really going to save any real space. You'd save more space by removing one ringtone than you do by stripping dsm files.
I think that as much as anything, this turns out to be a matter of perspective. I just tallied the total for the DSM's in my ROM (1,085,440).

I also poo-poo'd the idea of worrying about 1mb of space. My first PPC was a mogul and while it was limited, it did have a microSD slot and I think it came with a 1GB card. In my case, it is difficult to relate, as I never had one of those early devices that, in addition to the small flash ROM size, were also limited in that, they may have had an SD/MMC expansion slot, but back in 2005, what was the size of your average SD/MMC card and how much did it cost?

What really is intersting to me is to see discussions like the manual XIP porting thread, where they painstainkly discuss and try to implement techniques to recapture even smaller amounts of ROM space.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero & Touch Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

PMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
It won't. Remove some of that bloatware from your rom, and cab install some apps to internal storage, if you need to save space.
Well I figured I would get that answe, lol. But how is it that you pro chefs get all the apps packed into yours and still have 30mb or more on even the most loaded Roms?

Oh and whie I'm asking pro chef questions, what difference does a pagepool make? I see ranges from 6-24 and I have no idea which is better or why.

PMD ROMz - Please hit the Thanks button if I've helped you!

Last edited by PMDColeslaw; 07-03-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g
Carrier: Sprint

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by powe6563 View Post
Well I figured I would get that answe, lol. But how is it that you pro chefs get all the apps packed into yours and still have 30mb or more on even the most loaded Roms?

Oh and whie I'm asking pro chef questions, what difference does a pagepool make? I see ranges from 6-24 and I have no idea which is better or why.
I've only got 30MB left on mine and it's pretty loaded- but I don't think that's a lot at all. If I didn't add all the ringtones in, it would be closer to 40MB+.
I think that most of the added space gets taken up by Manila, themes and larger programs. They guys who use Manila/Rhodium and still have a lot of space left use one of the compression systems to make apps etc. smaller- sometimes this will also speed up the application, depending on the app and how it's written.

The way I understand it: The "page pool" is essentially cache between the storage ram (where all the db/binaries are written to) and the program ram. certain things have to be loaded into the pagepool before executing in program/main ram. So in general, increasing the pagepool usually speeds up launching applications, however it reduces the actual program ram so you can't run as many things at the same time.[Courtesy of Harry at XDA]

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
They guys who use Manila/Rhodium and still have a lot of space left use one of the compression systems to make apps etc. smaller- sometimes this will also speed up the application, depending on the app and how it's written.
really? i would think that compression would make things run slower. i think lz compression was popular (maybe it still is, haven't cooked in a while) but that was mainly for image files and would actually slow things down.

as for saving space, i deleted all the ringtones/alerts/alarms except for a handful since i would use my custom ringtones anyway. the good thing about 6.5 is that they will run off of internal storage as opposed to 6.1 which would require them to be run from the device.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 AM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler7 View Post
really? i would think that compression would make things run slower. i think lz compression was popular (maybe it still is, haven't cooked in a while) but that was mainly for image files and would actually slow things down.

as for saving space, i deleted all the ringtones/alerts/alarms except for a handful since i would use my custom ringtones anyway. the good thing about 6.5 is that they will run off of internal storage as opposed to 6.1 which would require them to be run from the device.
There are different types of compression, and each type works with different apps. There is squeezeit, which is good for some exe's, but not others -- some it actually speeds up after they are compressed. LZX compression is a simple option in the visual kitchen which will regain lost of space very easily. LZX doesn't really cause anything to run slower, it just takes longer for the app to open initially as it is uncompressing. What Trident was referring to is a specific compression for manilla -- chainfire's cfc compression.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

PMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I've only got 30MB left on mine and it's pretty loaded- but I don't think that's a lot at all. If I didn't add all the ringtones in, it would be closer to 40MB+.
I think that most of the added space gets taken up by Manila, themes and larger programs. They guys who use Manila/Rhodium and still have a lot of space left use one of the compression systems to make apps etc. smaller- sometimes this will also speed up the application, depending on the app and how it's written.

The way I understand it: The "page pool" is essentially cache between the storage ram (where all the db/binaries are written to) and the program ram. certain things have to be loaded into the pagepool before executing in program/main ram. So in general, increasing the pagepool usually speeds up launching applications, however it reduces the actual program ram so you can't run as many things at the same time.[Courtesy of Harry at XDA]
Thanks! That pagepool knowhow will come in handy. As for the other I guess I'm gonna have to keep tinkering with it. I dont know anything about the cfc compression but even with most of the ringtones deleted I still only have about 20mb free. I am running Rhodium though. Wish there was a way to remove the titanium stuff that I dont use like you can the manila but oh well.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

There is also UPX compression which can be used for exe & dll files (not all, but most). I haven't used it with WM6.5, but it was pretty good when used w/WM5. In addition to compressing, they claimed it also would speed up startup of many apps for reasons that were beyond my understanding- but I know they worked.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
There is also UPX compression which can be used for exe & dll files (not all, but most). I haven't used it with WM6.5, but it was pretty good when used w/WM5. In addition to compressing, they claimed it also would speed up startup of many apps for reasons that were beyond my understanding- but I know they worked.
Ok so would I just compress all the SYS files or OEM files before flashing? Or would I just compress the finished .nbh? Or am I completely wrong either way? I'm pretty sure it's the 3rd option, lol.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: LG Optimus S

KingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuff

Hey Calkulin,

For those of us that still use your 6.1 21051 kitchen...can you add some new things in the kitchen. Things like choices for custom sliders options and more themes or backgrounds? I see that 6.5 has a few choices for themes.

I know everyone is on the hot 6.5 kick but others and I enjoy your 6.1 kitchen and just wanna see little more in it. This is not a demand...simply just ask for new item in 6.1.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I did it all for Ta-nuki
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, Nook Color, Xoom Wifi

watzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPwatzone69 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Thanks! That pagepool knowhow will come in handy. As for the other I guess I'm gonna have to keep tinkering with it. I dont know anything about the cfc compression but even with most of the ringtones deleted I still only have about 20mb free. I am running Rhodium though. Wish there was a way to remove the titanium stuff that I dont use like you can the manila but oh well.
If you are a chef who is making ROMs using TF3D, it would be good to read this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...54&postcount=6

CFC is basically a way to compress manila files. The "patched" TF3D then decompresses "on the fly" and is supposed to be faster than disk read time on normal TF3D.

I'm not 100% sure if this is worth getting into or not. I know a few chefs were into it a few months ago but since I switched to 6.5 I haven't paid much attention to it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Tags
calkulin, kitchen, rom