View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
boggsie
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ Jun 30 ] [ 23001 \ 21051 ] [ v5 ] Calkulin's Kitchen & ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Considering how tiny dsms are (usually less than 2kb), it's not really going to save any real space. You'd save more space by removing one ringtone than you do by stripping dsm files.
I think that as much as anything, this turns out to be a matter of perspective. I just tallied the total for the DSM's in my ROM (1,085,440).

I also poo-poo'd the idea of worrying about 1mb of space. My first PPC was a mogul and while it was limited, it did have a microSD slot and I think it came with a 1GB card. In my case, it is difficult to relate, as I never had one of those early devices that, in addition to the small flash ROM size, were also limited in that, they may have had an SD/MMC expansion slot, but back in 2005, what was the size of your average SD/MMC card and how much did it cost?

What really is intersting to me is to see discussions like the manual XIP porting thread, where they painstainkly discuss and try to implement techniques to recapture even smaller amounts of ROM space.

Best regards,
-boggsie