PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ May 4 \ 21043(6.1) & 21502(6.5) v4.7 RC ] Calkulin's Kitchen v1.6 & ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol44 View Post
I'm not sure why but my Telus Diamond is stuggling even getting this WM 6.5 rom working for more than a few min.. It hangs when first flashing during the cab installations and IF it makes it all the way to the desktop it'll only end up hanging right after I update the weather plug in or Windows Live when syncing.

I have to end up doing a forced soft reset which suddenly turns into a hard reset then I'm back to square one.

I've read through as much of the postings here as possible but maybe this is an isolated issue.

Anyone have suggestions?
Pistol, sounds like you need to flash back to the "shipped" rom from Telus, and then flash Calcu's rom. This is very common and most of us do this regularly. Should take care of your issues ...

edit ... looks like someone already gave you some good advice.

Last edited by wmdunn; 05-06-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

lemute is a n00b

BTW, I've been using Calkulin's kitchen v4.6.4a (21501) on telus's update radio rom 1.04.05V and I haven not had any major issues as of yet, seems stable, will upgrade to a newer rom version once more kinks have been worked out

Last edited by lemute; 05-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Re: Skipping first boot (stylus calibration) wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
You lost me on what you were trying to say

So, are you familiar with the method of skipping the first boot wizard? (of course you are)

You can (or rather, could) use an oem rgu entry like the following to completely skip past the first boot wizard and pre-calibrate your stylus:

Code:

;Skip Welcome Screen
;=============================================================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]
  "Disable"=dword:FFFFFFFF

;Stylus Calibration
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
  "CalibrationData"="1982,1990 3121,3047 3123,951 852,955 862,3025"
In prior versions of your kitchen, I could get this to work by going into the various rgu's and provxml's and making sure there weren't any conflicting settings.

The advantage is that you don't have to do anything on first boot, the PPC goes right into User Customization ... if you flash a bunch, stopping to calibrate the stylus is a pita and with the right registry settings (above) completely un-necessary.

One thing that prevents this method of skipping the first boot wizard is to include the welcome application as a startup item in initflashfiles.dat. So another thing that has to be done is to edit that file to remove the following line:

Code:
Directory("\Windows\StartUp"):-File("Welcome.lnk","\Windows\welcome.lnk")
So, I tried to use my OEM and I couldn't skip the first boot wizard. Then, I tried to delete the above line from initflashfiles.dat and User Customization will run, but after reboot, the phone never comes out of the wait-cursor.

Ultimately, my question; what I am wondering is - have you done any investigation to determine why preventing the welcome application from running at first boot is causing the behavior I have experienced?

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Skipping first boot (stylus calibration) wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post

So, are you familiar with the method of skipping the first boot wizard? (of course you are)

You can (or rather, could) use an oem rgu entry like the following to completely skip past the first boot wizard and pre-calibrate your stylus:

Code:

;Skip Welcome Screen
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]
  "Disable"=dword:FFFFFFFF

;Stylus Calibration
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
  "CalibrationData"="1982,1990 3121,3047 3123,951 852,955 862,3025"
In prior versions of your kitchen, I could get this to work by going into the various rgu's and provxml's and making sure there weren't any conflicting settings.

The advantage is that you don't have to do anything on first boot, the PPC goes right into User Customization ... if you flash a bunch, stopping to calibrate the stylus is a pita and with the right registry settings (above) completely un-necessary.

One thing that prevents this method of skipping the first boot wizard is to include the welcome application as a startup item in initflashfiles.dat. So another thing that has to be done is to edit that file to remove the following line:

Code:
So, I tried to use my OEM and I couldn't skip the first boot wizard. Then, I tried to delete the above line from initflashfiles.dat and User Customization will run, but after reboot, the phone never comes out of the wait-cursor.

Ultimately, my question; what I am wondering is - have you done any investigation to determine why preventing the welcome application from running at first boot is causing the behavior I have experienced?

Best regards,
-boggsie
I dont have any Idea how to help you but I hope someone can because this sounds awesome! I flash so much this would be great so I could flash and just let the phone do the rest so I dont have to always baby sit it til its done.

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Lurker

lemute is a n00b

doesnt disabling the welcome center do just that? i always uncheck welcome center and it skips the wizard for me
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemute View Post
doesnt disabling the welcome center do just that? i always uncheck welcome center and it skips the wizard for me
The screen calibration doesnt come on when you flash?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Lurker

lemute is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbussen View Post
The screen calibration doesnt come on when you flash?

Actually the only thing that comes up is the screen calibration, but thats it.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility

click is becoming a great contributor

Code:
where is this in the 4.7 RC kitchen? I am using 21043 version, and I can't seem to find this entry anywhere, let alone the file Welcome.lnk.

I am going to give this a try -- I will keep you posted on my results.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Code:
where is this in the 4.7 RC kitchen? I am using 21043 version, and I can't seem to find this entry anywhere, let alone the file Welcome.lnk.

I am going to give this a try -- I will keep you posted on my results.
It is a hidden file located here:

Code:

\OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\initflashfiles.dat
Here is the thread where I discuss more detail around skipping the first boot (calibration, etc.) wizard:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52033

Remember, before you try this, get your calibration settings from your registry.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
b00nsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemute View Post
Actually the only thing that comes up is the screen calibration, but thats it.
... and so the point of the OEM is to pre-seed the values in the registry (via the kitchen) so that you don't have to go through any of the first boot wizard shenanigans. All it is doing is setting a few registry entries. Once you know what they should be, create the oem and build it into your rom.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Tags
calkulin, kitchen, rom