PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ May 4 \ 21043(6.1) & 21502(6.5) v4.7 RC ] Calkulin's Kitchen v1.6 & ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
... and so the point of the OEM is to pre-seed the values in the registry (via the kitchen) so that you don't have to go through any of the first boot wizard shenanigans. All it is doing is setting a few registry entries. Once you know what they should be, create the oem and build it into your rom.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Thanks for the info. Guess it is a little more advanced than I am. Couldnt follow real well.

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

vboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Skipping first boot (stylus calibration) wizard

Quote:

So, are you familiar with the method of skipping the first boot wizard? (of course you are)

You can (or rather, could) use an oem rgu entry like the following to completely skip past the first boot wizard and pre-calibrate your stylus:

Code:

;Skip Welcome Screen
;=============================================================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]
  "Disable"=dword:FFFFFFFF

;Stylus Calibration
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
  "CalibrationData"="1982,1990 3121,3047 3123,951 852,955 862,3025"
In prior versions of your kitchen, I could get this to work by going into the various rgu's and provxml's and making sure there weren't any conflicting settings.

The advantage is that you don't have to do anything on first boot, the PPC goes right into User Customization ... if you flash a bunch, stopping to calibrate the stylus is a pita and with the right registry settings (above) completely un-necessary.

One thing that prevents this method of skipping the first boot wizard is to include the welcome application as a startup item in initflashfiles.dat. So another thing that has to be done is to edit that file to remove the following line:

Code:
Directory("\Windows\StartUp"):-File("Welcome.lnk","\Windows\welcome.lnk")
So, I tried to use my OEM and I couldn't skip the first boot wizard. Then, I tried to delete the above line from initflashfiles.dat and User Customization will run, but after reboot, the phone never comes out of the wait-cursor.

Ultimately, my question; what I am wondering is - have you done any investigation to determine why preventing the welcome application from running at first boot is causing the behavior I have experienced?

Best regards,
-boggsie
In my experience, I used to disable the entire calibration process but it made my screen very screwed up in terms of accuracy. Therefore, I enable it these days to make sure I calibrated it correctly.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

vboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Calk:

I used to be able to skip the first boot wizard and now at some point over the last month or so, it appears that you are no longer deleting the following from initflashfiles.dat

Code:
So I can't skip the first boot wizard anymore.

I deleted this line and the phone/os really doesn't like that at all!!

Any thoughts on getting this to work?

Best regards,
-boggsie
How did you delete it? Did you use notepad to edit it and save? If so, did you use xvi32 to delete the first 2 offset because that's the magic number (FF and FE I think) that notepad created to indicate that it's a text file. InitFlashfiles.dat will get screwed up if you do use xvi to delete the magic number, as the result your flash will get screwed up.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Threadstarter

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:

So, are you familiar with the method of skipping the first boot wizard? (of course you are)

You can (or rather, could) use an oem rgu entry like the following to completely skip past the first boot wizard and pre-calibrate your stylus:

Code:

;Skip Welcome Screen
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]
  "Disable"=dword:FFFFFFFF

;Stylus Calibration
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
  "CalibrationData"="1982,1990 3121,3047 3123,951 852,955 862,3025"
In prior versions of your kitchen, I could get this to work by going into the various rgu's and provxml's and making sure there weren't any conflicting settings.

The advantage is that you don't have to do anything on first boot, the PPC goes right into User Customization ... if you flash a bunch, stopping to calibrate the stylus is a pita and with the right registry settings (above) completely un-necessary.

One thing that prevents this method of skipping the first boot wizard is to include the welcome application as a startup item in initflashfiles.dat. So another thing that has to be done is to edit that file to remove the following line:

Code:
So, I tried to use my OEM and I couldn't skip the first boot wizard. Then, I tried to delete the above line from initflashfiles.dat and User Customization will run, but after reboot, the phone never comes out of the wait-cursor.

Ultimately, my question; what I am wondering is - have you done any investigation to determine why preventing the welcome application from running at first boot is causing the behavior I have experienced?

Best regards,
-boggsie

What's the DSM # for your OEM? Because I haven't changed anything related to that in a while, besides the fact of cleaning up the initflashes.dat file. If you want to check to see if your registry settings are getting overwritten, you can dump the default.hv & user.hv with the converter in the Tools section and see if it wrote it correctly

Last edited by Calkulin; 05-06-2009 at 02:27 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
In my experience, I used to disable the entire calibration process but it made my screen very screwed up in terms of accuracy. Therefore, I enable it these days to make sure I calibrated it correctly.
I understand, but what is important to point out is that I am not proposing that we don't use settings to calibrate our stylus. What I am proposing and what I have done very successfully in the past, is to seed the registry with the very settings you would create, if you went through the calibration wizard.

Obviously, if you didn't calibrate via the wizard, AND you didn't seed any values to the registry, it would be challenging at best and perhaps even impossible to use the touch-screen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
What's the DSM # for your OEM? Because I haven't changed anything related to that in a while, besides the fact of cleaning up the initflashes.dat file. If you want to check to see if your registry settings are getting overwritten, you can dump the default.hv & user.hv with the converter in the Tools section and see if it wrote it correctly
Excellent suggestion ... I am blaming the welcome link and I haven't established that my registry settings were in the .hv to begin with.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
How did you delete it? Did you use notepad to edit it and save? If so, did you use xvi32 to delete the first 2 offset because that's the magic number (FF and FE I think) that notepad created to indicate that it's a text file. InitFlashfiles.dat will get screwed up if you do use xvi to delete the magic number, as the result your flash will get screwed up.

The initflashes.dat file can be edited with notepad but the only thing in there are directory & shortcuts that need to be created. The welcome screen key is in the OEMDrivers rgu
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
I understand, but what is important to point out is that I am not proposing that we don't use settings to calibrate our stylus. What I am proposing and what I have done very successfully in the past, is to seed the registry with the very settings you would create, if you went through the calibration wizard.

Obviously, if you didn't calibrate via the wizard, AND you didn't seed any values to the registry, it would be challenging at best and perhaps even impossible to use the touch-screen.

Best regards,
-boggsie

I have tried once in the past to skip the welcome screen but some users were reporting misalignment issues, so I left it at what it is now
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
b00nsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
I have tried once in the past to skip the welcome screen but some users were reporting misalignment issues, so I left it at what it is now
I absolutely agree with this approach. Each device is unique and folks need to create their own OEM seeded with settings specific to their device.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

skoch is a n00b
Re: [ May 4 \ 21043(6.1) & 21502(6.5) v4.7 RC ] Calkulin's Kitchen v1.6 & ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amieldl143 View Post
Has any one run into youtube not working on 21043 4.7rc V. kitchen??? Wont play any videos... I have to use opera to get to youtube to work. Anyone????
I had the same problem with getting a error message in Youtube until I went into Programs -> System Tools -> Youtube and loaded the High Quality cab. Worked fine after that. Tried running the Low Quality cab afterwords and that seemed to break it again. I wonder if there is some registry setting for Playback Quality that needs to be populated for Youtube to work and maybe that isn't done until you load one (and only one?) of these cabs.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Tags
calkulin, kitchen, rom