PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [[Speed Improvements]] Brainstorming & Testing Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
now are the processes I see running in say estaskmanager "different" from what your talking about here? or the same?

if the same the solution is really easy. I got this program called auto killer memory optimizer. its basically a front end to "adjust" the built in functionality of android to handle automated task closure to preserve operating memory.

ie safe for the most part (I don't mess with the first half just the background stuff)

I set it all to 75mb and that keeps pretty much anything not running "active" out of memory and REALLY seems to improve performance. though how much of that is from the OC and how much from this I don't know but it does help.

I will await the howto and I appreciate you doing it too I make a lot of how to's in my arena's (rocketry and photography) and I know how much of a pain them can be to do
You can probably find an app to do everything I've outlined. As I said at the beginning of the diatribe I posted, I don't want to use any apps... I don't want more overhead, and I want complete control of what's going on - IE, I want to control Android directly. I don't want some app doing it for me, since I don't really know what it's doing (you're asking, but I don't know without watching what is in the logs when the app is first run...)

I didn't want the overhead of any more apps, and I also wanted to use the built-in abilities of Android to manage things. All any of these apps *should* be doing is adjusting these values, but how do you know a good task manager app from a bad one? Honestly they're all bad IMHO and I would prefer to do it directly. This thread is for those who want the same .
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

thats fine. but I still don't know what your talking about hence the questions

ie my primary question. the apps your doing this pm stuff with. are those the "SAME" apps I see when I open a task manager or are they "hidden" apps your closing?

if they are the same they I don't really need to worry about this PM stuff since resetting the built in memory clearance limits appears to do exactly what I want. stop the background stuff from grinding the system to a halt.

on the other hand of this PM stuff is "OTHER" apps that are NOT visible in a task manager or hidden apps taking memory then it might be of interest to me to know how to do what your doing to improve performance.

thats the only reason I asked. I don't care which way I do it manually or with an app. I am perfectly comfortable in a command line interface once I know what to type.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
thats fine. but I still don't know what your talking about hence the questions

ie my primary question. the apps your doing this pm stuff with. are those the "SAME" apps I see when I open a task manager or are they "hidden" apps your closing?

if they are the same they I don't really need to worry about this PM stuff since resetting the built in memory clearance limits appears to do exactly what I want. stop the background stuff from grinding the system to a halt.

on the other hand of this PM stuff is "OTHER" apps that are NOT visible in a task manager or hidden apps taking memory then it might be of interest to me to know how to do what your doing to improve performance.

thats the only reason I asked. I don't care which way I do it manually or with an app. I am perfectly comfortable in a command line interface once I know what to type.
Like I said, I have no clue what you're seeing in these apps. I'm not using any apps. I want the direct control. If you find an app that does what I'm talking about, great... that's on you.

If you're wondering what apps I'm using to put all these commands in, everything was done thru adb shell.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have no idea why you have decided consciously or subconsciously that I am your enemy or something.

Direct control is silly. your only interface is that keyboard stylus and screen. You can't have direct control. everything you do has to by definition be through a proxy IE an app.

a task manager is just that. it shows me "whats running" thats it. nothing more. it does not really DO anything (though it will let me kill an app) its no different than 3 fingering your windows box and bringing up the task manager. thats all.

NOW if your recall windows task manager you have TWO windows their and they are different.

one including running apps and one includes "processes" which include a lot more than just running apps.

I am trying to understand if yours is this "other" part or just the same as what I am looking at already.

My question stands. I don't want to ask it again since I think that will just aggravate you more which is not something I want to do.

I will wait till you finish your toot and "try it" and see what happens then.

Last edited by nerys; 08-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

You're missing the point (again). First, you're not some mortal enemy. You just keep asking the same stupid questions over and over and you're either missing my points, or completely not grasping them, or just flat out ignoring them... I don't know.

First, how is direct control "silly"? I'm talking about something you setup ONCE. The system then manages it from there on... no need for user intervention, no need for apps to constantly monitor things... all of that is unnecessary. You tell the system how you want it to manage itself, and it does a very good job of doing that. You don't need to keep tweaking and looking at running apps... let the system manage it. "Set it and forget it", seriously. That's the point of direct control. That's the point of my thread.

Quit bringing up WinMo. This isn't WinMo. This is Android. If you want to use WinMo, then go use WinMo by all means... Android is different, and that's why I like it. For your information, what logcat is looking at is everything. Providers, processes, apps, whatever-the-heck is run on boot. Everything.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Mortal enemy? please. grow up.

sorry I will keep bringing up winmo as often as I need to. its my only point of reference for comparison. Nothing I can do about that.

the auto killer thing I got does PRECISELY that it modifies system settings and then thats it. the system "does its thing" from then on with the new settings.

I did not say direct control was silly the CONCEPT of direct control is silly since you by definition can not have it. unless you have a jack in the back of your head and can think code ?? it was intended as humor which clearly buzzed clear over your head.

"For your information, what logcat is looking at is everything. Providers, processes, apps, whatever-the-heck is run on boot. Everything."

and watch your tone with me. in case your not "getting" it yet that answer minus the attitude is EXACTLY what I asked for.

would it have been so hard to just give THAT as the answer instead of all your diatribe?

you are a very angry person. you really need to chill out and enjoy this instead of getting all nasty and steamy. won't do your health any good either.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Mortal enemy? please. grow up.

sorry I will keep bringing up winmo as often as I need to. its my only point of reference for comparison. Nothing I can do about that.

the auto killer thing I got does PRECISELY that it modifies system settings and then thats it. the system "does its thing" from then on with the new settings.

I did not say direct control was silly the CONCEPT of direct control is silly since you by definition can not have it. unless you have a jack in the back of your head and can think code ?? it was intended as humor which clearly buzzed clear over your head.

"For your information, what logcat is looking at is everything. Providers, processes, apps, whatever-the-heck is run on boot. Everything."

and watch your tone with me. in case your not "getting" it yet that answer minus the attitude is EXACTLY what I asked for.

would it have been so hard to just give THAT as the answer instead of all your diatribe?

you are a very angry person. you really need to chill out and enjoy this instead of getting all nasty and steamy. won't do your health any good either.
I don't even know how to respond to this other than...

Meh. I don't respond to empty threats.

Use the crap I posted, or don't. But don't spew all over my thread anymore, k? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

hey. everything I typed was a DIRECT response to the "crap" you spewed in my direction. I initiated none of it. all "reply"
Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Dos

vzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey arrrghhh how to you keep the new minfree settings to stick on reboot?

Sent from my Neopeek using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzihome View Post
Hey arrrghhh how to you keep the new minfree settings to stick on reboot?
I'm thinking a line in the user.conf file would be enough. Cat the value after rebooting to make sure it stuck.

Otherwise... I think you'd have to change the init.rc.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2