PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

hickdog is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

I am a newbie with the smartphones.....I just got the touch pro from Verizon yesterday and was excited when I found this thread; but my joy is on hold. I applied the fix (after checking to see that I had the newer PRL). It seemed to go well, and I was able re-program the phone and install the GPS tool. I set all the settings as described, and I can see that I am locking satellites in the GPS tool. Google maps,however, stubbornly refuses to find the GPS. Is there a way to know that the GPS is unlocked so that Google maps can access it? Any other hints - and yes I went to phone->options->more tab->location settings and verified location is on. Google maps just says "Initializing GPS" for a while and then says "no GPS reciever found"
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro

rcluster is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickdog View Post
I am a newbie with the smartphones.....I just got the touch pro from Verizon yesterday and was excited when I found this thread; but my joy is on hold. I applied the fix (after checking to see that I had the newer PRL). It seemed to go well, and I was able re-program the phone and install the GPS tool. I set all the settings as described, and I can see that I am locking satellites in the GPS tool. Google maps,however, stubbornly refuses to find the GPS. Is there a way to know that the GPS is unlocked so that Google maps can access it? Any other hints - and yes I went to phone->options->more tab->location settings and verified location is on. Google maps just says "Initializing GPS" for a while and then says "no GPS reciever found"
Just answered a couple of posts back. You have to tell Google Maps to use COM 4.

Ron
Old 02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Lurker

hickdog is a n00b

I saw that post and this is what I did
- verified location is on
- went to external GPS port and verified program port is set to com4, HW port to none, and Baud is 4800, access is Manage GPS automatically
- went to GPS tool and verified port is open, port is com4, baud is 4800, mode is cold start, chip is Q7500, Open port by is "Raw interface", and clicked cold Start for Setmode.
Restarted google maps and verified GPS settings are "set manually" to COM4 and 4800.

I still get the Initializing GPS.. till timeout.

Where did I go wrong?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro

rcluster is just getting started

Quote:
- went to external GPS port and verified program port is set to com4, HW port to none, and Baud is 4800, access is Manage GPS automatically
- went to GPS tool and verified port is open, port is com4, baud is 4800, mode is cold start, chip is Q7500, Open port by is "Raw interface", and clicked cold Start for Setmode.
Restarted google maps and verified GPS settings are "set manually" to COM4 and 4800.

Where did I go wrong?
That all sounds correct. Only thing I can think of is you aren't receiving a strong enough GPS signal, but your earlier post said you did get a lock.
Mine took a long time to lock the first time, but after I left it on long enough to download the almanac it's been really fast locking in.
I'm still a newbie, this is my first Windows Mobile phone and I got it late December. Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here with something for you to try.

Ron
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro 2

oldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on repoldman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:

Where did I go wrong?
If you got a lock on the GPSTool, then it's operational. I had a similar problem last nite, I shut down, soft-rebooted, and started WITHOUT starting TF3D. Google locked right in. Normally Google and TF3d will get along together, but you might try it and see if it helps.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Lurker

mustangcoupe is a n00b

Quote:
you say getting lock? in the GPS tool are the sats red or green? they are not locked until they are green... So id they are just red it is seeing them but not locked yet, leave it for a few mins and it should lock. I use a Verizon TP and it worked!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Lurker

hickdog is a n00b

Got it working...Apparently, I was confusing satellites used (displayed in red on the Satellite view in the HTC GPS tool) with satellites locked (displayed in green on the Satellite view in the HTC GPS tool). It seems that if there are no satellites locked, the GPS may not be sending data out the port since Google maps reports "No GPS reciever found" if no satellites are locked.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I will be donating for this one.

Mark
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6850
Carrier: verizon

ashii007 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboredlll View Post
Developers at xda. The are used to run 3rd party files and programs. It's a developers certificate.
I just installed the quickgps. It definitely make locking GPS lightening fast (even indoors). I did reboot once after installing cert and then after installing quickgps. for good measure, I just reprogrammed phone as well. I have VZW touch pro.

Thanks for getting this working. Appreciate your help
Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!
Carrier: Sprint

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Sometimes you have to run it a couple of times to get everything going...

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro 2

lazybulldog is a n00b

Hello all!

I installed the gps in my stock vzw touch pro and it worked great. Now, I tried SSK 1.5 kitchen and botched the gps fix install. I tried to uninstall, but it isnot working right. I am getting a lock on 9 sats, however, it appears to lock up after receiving some coordinates from the chip. I have to do a soft reset. I've searched the thread, but cannot figure how to start again without going through a hard reset. Any ideas? Yes, all settings are correct.

Regards,
Lazybulldog

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro