PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 02:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

n8mack33 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon GPS Fix.....Phase I

I was wondering if this would have anything to do with messing up my data connection? I am using Scott's 3rd rom and the gps fix and everything was fine until I roadtripped to San Diego and I am not getting EVDO down here at all (eventhough I am in spots where I know I should be getting EVDO). EVDO was working in Nor Cal. Any ideas? I could really use help since ICS is unusable ATM. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteriderxp View Post
Hmm, maybe your phone is using true aGPS.

I see on your ROM screen caps that you show greater than 200MB of ram, which indicates you are using a Sprint TP on VZW. That could be the difference, that allows you to use aGPS.
Could tht be the case? Because I have never got a lock like that with the TP. I was getting that with a few ROMs when I had the Vogue.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2

lbjohnny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
YEs, it can be undone by unchecking the check boxes and zeroing out the details you entered when making the change. Seconldy you can back up the settings to a file before you actually change anyting using the application Service Programming in QPST.

Batter is mute issue like you guessed.

No reason not to. I have it and can tell you that I am alot more consistant locking than what most state running my ROM. I have yet to do the CAB that GC posted though. Im going to try that now and see if it gets better. I tried it on his ROM and the results were the same as my ROM. Anywhere from 15 to 75 seconds. Thats the exact same speed VZ Nav uses.
I'm getting locks pretty quickly. I think the data connection status is important. I use VZW wireless sync & when I set it to push every 30 minutes vs. constant sync the data connection turns itself off intermittently.

Not an empirical test but when I set data connection to always on I get a pretty quick lock on GPS even after a soft-reset or if I haven't used GPS for hours....again I haven't fully tested this.

This may be why some users lock quickly & other don't?

GC - does AGPS force a data connection when it needs it?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2

lbjohnny is just getting started

Okay...I'm a noob & a COMPLETE moron... and this stuff is quite a learning curve... I really got to learn how to read.

I did the AGPS hack but I forgot to uncheck & re-check all the little gray squares. i.e. I have not been using AGPS all this time!!

So this thing locks without AGPS in 30 seconds outdoors & bout a minute - 90 seconds indoors - yes that's right indoors - no agps. This shows me HTC has an excellent GPS radio in this beast.

So I did it right now - from soft reset - 8-12 seconds to lock. Tested three times after 3 soft resets.

My hats off to E-Rice, Scrosler, Bored & GC - you guys are freakin' geniuses.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjohnny View Post
Okay...I'm a noob & a COMPLETE moron... and this stuff is quite a learning curve... I really got to learn how to read.

I did the AGPS hack but I forgot to uncheck & re-check all the little gray squares. i.e. I have not been using AGPS all this time!!

So this thing locks without AGPS in 30 seconds outdoors & bout a minute - 90 seconds indoors - yes that's right indoors - no agps. This shows me HTC has an excellent GPS radio in this beast.

So I did it right now - from soft reset - 8-12 seconds to lock. Tested three times after 3 soft resets.
One thing I'm curious about is what happens if say, your phone is off...or at least your GPS is off and you move to a location that's maybe 5-10+ miles from your previous location. Do you get a quick lock then?

I think, at least with my standalone car GPS that I always got a pretty quick lock if I was in the same place as the last time I turned it on and not that much time had p*****.

I wonder if GPS units use the last know position to help it try to find where the satellites are.

So a nice test would be to turn off the GPS, go to another location and then see how fast you get a lock.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjohnny View Post

My hats off to E-Rice, Scrosler, Bored & GC - you guys are freakin' geniuses.
Johnny, I REALLY hate to admit this...But yes I did the same thing as you..After reading this post I figured I would just try and see if it made a difference..And sure enough it did..I guess I also need to read a little better and follow directions! I'm a guy what can I can?! lol I just got a lock inside in less than 30 seconds!
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well, I can't seem to figure out why my gps isn't working!

I started out with scrosler's ROM and attempted to do this fix but it didn't work... I didn't mess with it too much so I just went over to gc's ROM and decided I would try everything over again.. here's what I did:

1) ran bored's cab
2) executed ppst.exe
3) did QPST hacks (Display and aGps tab)
4) installed gc's agps cab (which is apparently not needed after using carrier cab)
5) ensured location was set to ON

still no locks... google times out

any words of wisdom?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: verizon

clubprerit is a n00b

same here! i did the fix right and everything. cannot get a fix on Live or Google or HTC GPS software...
at one point it took almost 3 minutes and i got a lock, but then it never worked again.

using VZW stock rom.

i've hard reset 3 times and each time *228 first then installing the necessary files...
Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubprerit View Post
same here! i did the fix right and everything. cannot get a fix on Live or Google or HTC GPS software...
at one point it took almost 3 minutes and i got a lock, but then it never worked again.

using VZW stock rom.

i've hard reset 3 times and each time *228 first then installing the necessary files...
Install PPST 1.46 and go thru the normal steps with PPST.exe. Then once you are rebooted apply the fix again. During that time go ahead and attempt to remove the old copy when you are prompted to. It will fail but don't worry. Continue on with the new install. Don't program via *228. The PRL within the fix is the newest one that can be aquired via *228. Please follow these exact directions to see if you get the same results I do when I get issues. Just to clearify, I get issues because I'm still messing with this fix for an update. Your's very well may be for an intirely different reason.

Once you've done all of that. Use HTC GPS Tool to verify the GPS is working. I've had various issues connecting when I continously mess. My fail safe is to always revert and then reapply the fix.

By the way, a hard reset isn't necessary. Mine will work again everytime without going thru that.

Accepted NOT Expected
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: verizon

clubprerit is a n00b

well, the hard reset did help. i did the *228 and the verizon network appeared on the today screen b/c it was empty before the activation (weird, but it worked). i did everything again step by step and after restarting and i went outside for 3 minutes, got a gps lock (FINNALLLY!!) and now everything seems to work indoors and outdoors. the initial lock still takes under a minute.

i also discovered a way to tether my laptop to the phone and use the TP as a modem wherever i go w/o the additional $15 a month fee....woohoo!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro