PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon GPS Fix.....Phase I

Nice video. Before I try the aGPS fix, any comments on how to reverse it if I want and any thoughts on the battery hit one might see from going aGPS or does it only activate when the GPS calls for it? It's not constantly tracking me?

Would there be any reason NOT to run the aGPS fix? (i.e. battery)

Last edited by lexluthor; 12-23-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
Nice video. Before I try the aGPS fix, any comments on how to reverse it if I want and any thoughts on the battery hit one might see from going aGPS or does it only activate when the GPS calls for it? It's not constantly tracking me?

Would there be any reason NOT to run the aGPS fix? (i.e. battery)
YEs, it can be undone by unchecking the check boxes and zeroing out the details you entered when making the change. Seconldy you can back up the settings to a file before you actually change anyting using the application Service Programming in QPST.

Batter is mute issue like you guessed.

No reason not to. I have it and can tell you that I am alot more consistant locking than what most state running my ROM. I have yet to do the CAB that GC posted though. Im going to try that now and see if it gets better. I tried it on his ROM and the results were the same as my ROM. Anywhere from 15 to 75 seconds. Thats the exact same speed VZ Nav uses.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Ok, well I did the aGPS fix and the cab and seems to have gone fine. I see that I can uncheck the stuff in QPST and then delete the items added by the cab in the sup agps key in the registry.

Should I be able to get a fix inside with aGPS? I'm not.

Also, for battery, I'm usually running in 1x mode. Does aGPS require an EvDO connection?

Last edited by lexluthor; 12-23-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
Ok, well I did the aGPS fix and the cab and seems to have gone fine. I see that I can uncheck the stuff in QPST and then delete the items added by the cam in the sup agps key in the registry and should be off should i bet able to get a fix inside with aGPS? I'm not.

Also, for battery, I'm usually running in 1x mode. Does aGPS require an EvDO ocnnection?
Let us know how that works.

I dont believe it reuires evdo but I have been wrong before...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

niteriderxp is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc14 View Post
Since there seems to be some confusion about what working aGPS should look like, I took a little video. It was taken indoors at my parents' house.

Verizon aGPS Video
I don't think that's aGPS. One of my family members has an unmodified Sprint Mogul. When it acquires GPS signal, its instant (but inaccurate for 15-30sec). Another sign of aGPS is that the data arrows of the phone become active for a few seconds as it is acquiring a lock.

From what I understand neither Scott's, GC's, nor the stock ROM is running true aGPS at least on the VZW TP. Either the ROM itself is at fault or the PRI only unlocked standalone GPS rather than true aGPS.

So why are some people getting 15sec locks and others have to wait 5-10min?
With my old BT GPS device, when I attempted to acquire a lock within a few fours and in the same location it would lock fast. However, if I moved it far away from the original location or didn't turn it on for a while it would take forever to lock. I think the same situation is happening here.

Last edited by niteriderxp; 12-23-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

with the aGPS fix, do I still need to prime the GPS chip with the HTC app? Google maps won't connect to any satellites without priming the GPS chip. ( I have'nt done the aGPS fix).

Also, can someone elaborate on what gc14 was talking about with the VZNav and using the LBSDriver?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I had asked earlier in this thread for some sort of GPS program that would monitor a jog of bike ride.

Just found this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424423

I'm going to try it right now.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: VzW

miguels is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboredlll View Post
I just want to thank everyone that has sent a thanks my way or even made a donation. You have made getting cussed by my wife over this phone alot more tolerable

UPDATED 12/21/08

Please read completely. I really don't want to have posts asking about things stated in this post.

First and foremost.... This fix is to be considered beta at the present time. I WILL NOT be held responsible for any damage to your device or any charges from you carrier if you happen to be in roaming because of this.

I have successfully unlocked VZW's TP GPS. Please realise I'm still testing and tweaking the PRI to get the last little bugs out.

Here we go

1. download lllboredlll VZW GPS Fix.cab and put on your storage card
2. install cab but don't soft reset after
3. use gsfinder or total commander to navigate to \windows\ppst.exe
4. execute ppst.exe and go thru the prompts
5. reset your device as needed
6. make sure you location is turned on and enjoy

AT THIS PRESENT TIME I'D SUGGEST NOT DIALING *228 AFTER THIS FIX IS APPLIED. IT WILL UPDATE THE MODIFIED PRL AND SHOW THAT YOU ARE ROAMING.
IF YOU DO YOU CAN SIMPLY REAPPLY THE FIX TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

All navigation software might not work so you may need to open the port with HTC GPS tool that I attached. Settings are Q7500 chip 4800 buad and cold start. I don't have AGPS configured because this thing locks in 2 seconds. There is no need for a data connection to assist when the results are that dang fast.

If you need to go back to the OEM PRI I have attached it aswell. Just go thru the same steps as far as installing and then ppst.exe

If you take my research and improve on it all I ask is that you atleast give me credit for the discovery. I've spent a ton of hours working with NV files and PRI's.

Hope everyone enjoys.....

A special thanks goes out to GC14 for his roaming fix. Thank you very much.

UPDATED FOR BANNER FIX 12/22/08 - Fixed link/Port issue

This will instruct you on how to fix the banner back to Verizon or anything of your liking.

1. Download QPST Pack linked below.
2. Unzip to it's own folder.
3. Install WModemDriver
4. Install QPST
5. Plug your VZW TP to your pc and get activesync connected
6. Depending on your ROM dail ##3424# or ##3424 to execute DMRouter
7. Open QPST Configuration from Start/Program Files/QPST/QPST Configuration
8. If it don't show your device on Active Phones tab then goto Ports tab and add QC/Diagnostic to whatever port it shows.
9. Click Start Client at top of window, then Service Programming
10. Click OK on Phone Selection Dialog once SURF7500A is selected
11. Click Read from Phone at bottom of window.
12. Click on Display tab and enter name of your choice to the banner box. Stay away from AMPS tab or you will have to close out and start over again
13. You can also do GC's AGPS Fix on the gpsOne tab. Just navigate to the gpsOne tab. Click on the grayed out boxes to the left and the reselect them all. Enter this info into corresponding boxes

PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132
PDE Port Number: 8888
PDE Transport: IP
Position Calculation: PDE

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...VerizonAGPSFix
For further information if needed.

14. Click Write to Phone and then soft reset.
15. Download and install Verizon AGPS Provisioning cab that is attached and soft reset. Thanks to GC14 for cab file.

DO NOT mess with anything else in Service Programming or you could very well regret it....

Also make sure that your device settings are right.

Settings >> SYSTEM >> External GPS
Programs Tab- GPS Program Port: Com4
Hardware Tab- GPS Hardware Port: None, Baud Rate: 4800
Access Tab- Checkmark on "Manage GPS automatically"

Make sure you turn your location on thru your phone settings. Some ROM's do not have it enabled by default.

Enjoy

QPST DOWNLOAD HERE (will update link to ftp tomorrow)
http://rapidshare.com/files/175912779/QPST_v2_1_.7_Build_301.zip

Project Update: Phase II should be done within the next day or two. I'm not going to elaborate on what it will be at this time but I'm gonna put a cool spin on things for us VZW users.

Bored... wanted to thank you for the great job you did. I think i might be missing something. I followed your steps at the top of the quote and after ppst and reseting the device GPS works great, but i have not phone signal. I then used the ppst1.46 to restore the phone, but lost the GPS settings.
I thought following the instructions for the QPST might resolve it but i can only get phone service, no GPS.
What do i need to do to get both to work at the same time, GPS and Phone?

I apologize upfront for asking such an ignorant question as I realized lots of you are very knowledgeable. THank you.

BTW, i am using nexvision beta ROM and could not get it to work with the regedit change.

Last edited by miguels; 12-24-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteriderxp View Post
I don't think that's aGPS. One of my family members has an unmodified Sprint Mogul. When it acquires GPS signal, its instant (but inaccurate for 15-30sec). Another sign of aGPS is that the data arrows of the phone become active for a few seconds as it is acquiring a lock.

From what I understand neither Scott's, GC's, nor the stock ROM is running true aGPS at least on the VZW TP. Either the ROM itself is at fault or the PRI only unlocked standalone GPS rather than true aGPS.

So why are some people getting 15sec locks and others have to wait 5-10min?
With my old BT GPS device, when I attempted to acquire a lock within a few fours and in the same location it would lock fast. However, if I moved it far away from the original location or didn't turn it on for a while it would take forever to lock. I think the same situation is happening here.
I can assure you I'm using true aGPS. Standalone GPS does not lock indoors, period.

---------------------------------
HTC Titan - Retired
HTC Apache - Retired

---------------------------------
GC's Touch Pro ROMs & Kitchen
GC Java Pack for Windows Mobile
Verizon GPS/aGPS Tutorial
If you're pleased with me or my work...leave me a donation
Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

niteriderxp is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc14 View Post
I can assure you I'm using true aGPS. Standalone GPS does not lock indoors, period.
Hmm, maybe your phone is using true aGPS.

I see on your ROM screen caps that you show greater than 200MB of ram, which indicates you are using a Sprint TP on VZW. That could be the difference, that allows you to use aGPS.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro