PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: CNET ratings of the Touch Pro, unfair? Lets show support for our favorite WM devi

OK this is just my opinion.. (ha ha)

but it seems like some are a bit too attached to their Touch Pro. They can't stand when someone doesn't like it as much as they do. Or another phone gets more attention.

Honestly, it's a good smartphone... but it's still JUST a phone. Who cares what CNET says. There really are more important things in life than to go on crusade against CNET simply because you don't like their review. It really does seem a bit silly.

Disclaimer: I'm close to getting a Touch Pro myself but actually CNET's review totally convinced me not to..!

(Just kidding, I'm still getting one, and I read CNET's review a while back...)

Last edited by x10guy; 11-15-2008 at 04:28 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

MaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good work
Re: CNET ratings of the Touch Pro, unfair? Lets show support for our favorite WM devi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Yes, it DOES matter.

CNET is, for better or worse, a trusted technology site that millions of people look to for tech news, reviews, and analysis. When you can't trust the reviews to be fair and honest and instead are highly opinionated, then why should they get away with that?
Amen to that, brother.

Although I have plenty to say about naughty Corporate America, numbers don't lie....and if Apple was so awesome, more companies would be all Mac. Why, even schools don't have Macs anymore.

Now, believe me, I want NOTHING to ever happen to Apple because frankly, competition is a great thing - keep Microsoft on it's toes.....

Fair enough, Apple and Novell both had great ideas, but despite marketablity on Microsoft's side, there a a TON more apps that can tie into Microsoft computers.

Now, that being said, there's room for it all...as there are near 7 billion people on this planet.

For me, flexibility and tweaking and toying with something that really turns me on. Can't really do that with an iPhone. It's an all or nothing deal. Nothing a-la-cart....which is what is sooo appealing about Microsoft based stuff.

But, it takes a more advanced user, too.

So, I sound like a linux user, huh? Hahaha. Well, the cool thing about Microsoft is you *DO* have fairly decent supportablity, too .

Ok, I am off my soap box - 7 billion users - to each his own - but yeah, I think reviews oughtta balanced....reviewers oughtta announce their biases and audience before giving a review.....

Then again, CNET has turned into fluffy central.

Have to dig a little more for real reviews.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
i totally agree that at this point its silly and futile. so what the Pro got 3.5 stars and the iphone got 4. the BB Bold got 4 stars too, so are they BB fanboys now too? What about all the other WM devices that only got 3.5? 1/2 a star, in a totally subjective scoring be it, on cnet and people are blowing a nut like this is the end of WM as we know it. Who cares? Are you going to go to every single tech website and write positive reviews or are you going to get off the computer live your life and actually enjoy your device purchase? Honestly its silly and futile and wont stop people from making a choice in phone that they want

This wont swing economic stature either thats a silly response too and you know it. Its cnet, its not the majority of people or the major source of information. TV commercials are still the number ONE source of false advertising for electronic devices to sway a customer. If Cnet accounted for .01% of swing decisions by customers id be shocked it was so high

People will buy what they want based on their needs, and a very small percent of wireless consumers read cnet, and fewer base their purchase off of the reviews or user reviews.

If you want to email cnet and point out there errors thats one thing, but to play a childish game of who can post more positive user reviews is immature and playing right into that immature iphone group you people keep pointing out how rediculous they are. youre acting EXACTLY the same now responding to it.

REALLY? Fox News and Republican ring a bell? So what is "trusted" then? Every news source is entitled to their opinion no matter what it is- First Amendment. Simply deal with it and hope that people are the educated ones to know the difference, if theyre not there nothing you can personally do.

as i said above total BS, the iphone has cause other device prices to FALL to match and be competitive- BB Storm, Instinct, etc all prices at 199 to match up against iphone 3g. PPC's are NEVER and have never been priced cheap to the avg consumer, totally different target audience and pricing scheme

P.S i hope you actually got mods permission to make the exact same thread again and didnt undercut a mod's decision to move it to go and make a new one.
Man, It's not really all about cnet or even the actual phone for me. It's about people giving the TP a bad rating that have never used it. Some of the reviews I read stated....duh, uh, duh, it doesn't have 3G! Well, if they actually saw, used, and read up on the fact, they woulda realized that EVDO REV.A is a step up from 3G. But they didn't do their homework so it's ok for them to give the TP a bad rating? I could really careless about the stupid ratings or even the review of the phone itself. I like my TP and that's that. But it is the principle of it all plus it was fun bashing apple fanboys. If you bought a new car that you saved for for years for and love it, then you take it to a car show and people bash it saying...I "heard" it drives like crap! or I started it up before and it didn't "sound" fast enough for me, yadda yadda, and gave your car a bad review, wouldn't you try to defend it?? Or would you cower to the will of the people? Positive attitudes = Positive results.

Last edited by gator352; 11-15-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Can't believe everyone is getting so worked up over a CNET review which you may agree or disagree with...

And another interesting thing that ALMOST always seems to happen. Apple and the iphone always seems to get included in the discussion. I think we have serious insecurities when it comes to the iphone. We get really bent out of shape when the iphone gets a good review or when it gets more attention.

Simply put, get the phone that you like the best and just be content with that. If you love the Touch Pro... Great! BE HAPPY and don't get so bent out of shape what others say about it.... or what the iphone does or doesn't do.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Why care then, if they want to go on CNET and express their displeasure for the review then they have every right to do that. We already went down the iPhone path once with this, I'm not doing it again
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

MaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
... they woulda realized that EVDO REV.A is a step up from 3G. But they didn't do their homework so it's ok for them to give the TP a bad rating?
Yeah, I laughed about that, too. Hahahaha, when I got out of the T-Mobile contract, it was gonna either be Verizon or Sprint just for that. Both work well here....if only for a moment I thought about rollover minutes or that I have a lot of friends on ATT....but man, that EVDO is just awesome. And the unlimited plan with Sprint - tasty.

Heh, I convinced my Dad to get one (have to train him on it) and my brother! Bunch of rednecks using these fancy phones... Watch out!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
Can't believe everyone is getting so worked up over a CNET review which you may agree or disagree with...

And another interesting thing that ALMOST always seems to happen. Apple and the iphone always seems to get included in the discussion. I think we have serious insecurities when it comes to the iphone. We get really bent out of shape when the iphone gets a good review or when it gets more attention.

Simply put, get the phone that you like the best and just be content with that. If you love the Touch Pro... Great! BE HAPPY and don't get so bent out of shape what others say about it.... or what the iphone does or doesn't do.
Ok, maybre I am wrong, but what most people are having issue with is that CNET is *SUPPOSED* to be like a Consumer Reports for folks. And it's not. I would TOTALLY be cool if the editors just said "It's my opinion that the phone sucks." Instead, they insinuate they are masters of the universe and that they can be trusted advisors. They aren't.

I shudder at how many times non-technical folks have asked me for an opinion on something they read was totally awesome on CNET and it is totally junk.

I have had to tell people they are banished from going there.....and begged them to find places like this forum. Go to the source, man. Go talk to people who actually have a working knowledge about the dang thang.

So, maybe we need to educate people to become better reseachers and leave CNET to it's own propaganda machine.

To be honest, I only go there to see what they slam and then buy it. Haha.

It's like the buddy you have who recommends certain restaurants....ones you know to avoid. Hahaha.

Yeah, I also think some Apple people are all about the underdog. And, well, I admire them. But little do they know Apple is just as bad. It's big business. Sheesh, there's no real underdogs out there in big business .

Linux, maybe for a time....

Last edited by MaryGladys; 11-15-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: samsung
Carrier: vzn
Threadstarter

Unflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good work

We're just being supportive of our phones. We want the word to spread because we don't believe in some of the uncalled for user reviews or CNET'S review. It's fine if some of you don't think it's worth it.

Just like we rely on review threads on here to help make our decisions on whether to buy a phone or not, A LOT of people only go to sites like CNET to help make their choices - scary, i know.

*STOP BEING ARGUMENTATIVE WITH OTHER USERS* - PC

Last edited by Certs; 11-15-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unflushablelog View Post

Just like we rely on review threads on here to help make our decisions on whether to buy a phone or not, A LOT of people only go to sites like CNET to help make their choices - scary, i know.

*STOP BEING ARGUMENTATIVE WITH OTHER USERS* - PC
Amen to that. Yep. These threads are invaluable.

I do think that X had a point about educated people making their own decisions, though.

But I also get a little upset because CNET doesn't really give me the stuff I need in comparisons. I used to love Tom's Hardware and how they would do benchmark tests on stuff and post their results. Those were facts. Ahhh, if only CNET could do something like that.

A little unfair to say people are insecure about the iPhone. I think most people are reacting to the age old fight of Apple versus Microsoft.

Everytime Microsoft releases something, it's slammed. Vista, XP, Windows 98 and 95 have ALL been slammed. Never hear that about Apple's operating systems. EVER.

But, the basic numbers say Microsoft has the market share. Period. Personally, if I were Microsoft, I wouldn't care because I got the $$$....so Apple can be the unsung hero.

Maybe it's for the same reason people in ther rest of the world hate the USA? Dunno.

But, being positive is a good thing. All sides have valid points.

And fairness just doesn't exist.

So, that is my last post here. No need to beat a dead horse.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unflushablelog View Post
We're just being supportive of our phones. We want the word to spread because we don't believe in some of the uncalled for user reviews or CNET'S review.
There is a difference between being supportive of the phone... and say a bit overboard... calling on people to go over to CNET and deliberately write 100% positive user reviews to somehow negate the other reviews and even CNET's own review..

OK... I guess I'm in the minority but this whole thread just strikes me as being very insecure. Does it really matter that much to you?

I'd much rather spend my time tweaking my phone than going over to CNET and trying to argue with the editor over a bad review (and if you read it... it's NOT that bad of a review. Yeah there are a few mistakes but it's fine.)

As for affecting sales... nonsense. The main reason I'm not currently a Touch Pro user is because every place sells out so fast.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro