PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: samsung
Carrier: vzn
Threadstarter

Unflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: CNET ratings of the Touch Pro, unfair? Lets show support for our favorite WM devi

Sweeeet, we broke the 100 mark on CNET ratings. I bet they've never had so many reviews pour in on one device in such a short amount of time.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Re: CNET ratings of the Touch Pro, unfair? Lets show support for our favorite WM devi

Ah CNET, the epitome of fair and balanced journalism admitting that they really are unfair and biased... http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10094835-17.html
Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryGladys View Post
Actually, I don't know who would read my reviews....seems no one really read my reports in corporate America anyway.
So incredibly true. *sigh* lol

I love reading tech product reviews... and I love writing them too. I just don't care if anyone reads them or not.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Unflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good workUnflushablelog is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryGladys View Post
Yeah, I would like to review products. I am hard on my stuff. Try to go the limits of something. But then, my target audience wouldn't be mainstream America. Actually, I don't know who would read my reviews....seems no one really read my reports in corporate America anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
So incredibly true. *sigh* lol

I love reading tech product reviews... and I love writing them too. I just don't care if anyone reads them or not.
plus 1 to both of you
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think lots of those biased reviews are part of the culture nowadays. The iPhone is still considered in the mainstream as the end all be all device. The iPhone was dubbed "the jesusphone." I happen to own an iPod touch and I can see where the attraction lies. It is a fun device. That is the inherent problem, when the fun masks the propriety, the price, the propriety, and oh...did I mention the propriety? Functionality the iPhone will eventually catch up...and they make those apps practically idiot proof!! So now in comes CNET...calling idiot proof (USER FRIENDLY)...meaning anyone can operate one. Of course they're going to be biased toward that d**n thing!!

Now, every high end hand held device (we'll even include the Instinct) are all compared to the iPhone by CNET, simply because they have an infatuation with the stupid thing. At the same time, they'll allow those apple fanboys and fanboyettes to make those F-ed up reviews EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN OWN THE DEVICE. So, we have this issue now on TP's receiving 1 star or half star reviews.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Well all we need to do is concentrate on the htc reviews and maybe they'll get the hint, especially if we flag the completely fake ones like someone mentioned earlier.
i just don't see why they can't rate our phones with more than 3.5 stars. even if it's not the phone for them, they have to know about its functionality.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't get it.
Does it REALLY matter that much what CNET or other users rate the phone?

I read CNET's review. I didn't see that much wrong with it. I also read some of the user reviews... there are some that were definitely too harsh with it ... but plenty others (probably from here) that were definitely too over enthusiastic with it. It's called an OPINION. Whether we agree with them or not... it's still an opinion. It's NOT an issue of fairness.

Besides, does it really matter that much that we have to "PROVE" something to the CNET editors?

Just enjoy the phone and DON'T WORRY what other people think.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Bringer of Good Things

Yes, it DOES matter.

CNET is, for better or worse, a trusted technology site that millions of people look to for tech news, reviews, and analysis. When you can't trust the reviews to be fair and honest and instead are highly opinionated, then why should they get away with that? If you scroll up a few posts, I linked to an actual CNET article that confirms, yeah, they're biased.

News sites used to adhere to a standard of professionalism and reported facts objectively, not subjectively. It should STILL be that way. I don't care that people have different opinions, but I do care that those opinions are educated versus biased.

So why does that matter? Simple. When everybody thinks that everything Apple or Company X produces is a rose, there is no accountability for that company. Apple could release a product called iPoop and it would literally be a piece of dog feces wrapped in an aluminum case, and people will still buy it as if it's their last meal.

Biased reporting also has a nasty economic consequence. When people are flocking to one product religiously, the prices of that product go up with the demand, good old econ 101. Well, when the competition isn't able to sell as many due to the bias against their products, so they also have no motivation to lower cost (they have to recoup their losses somehow), so they sell a good product at a high price and wonder why they're not selling.

The current posted staff review is now quite favorable, but only because the article has been revised to be more objective. This is the desired result. Now people can read the article and know some factual information about the device and make an informed decision about buying it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!
Carrier: Sprint

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I put in my two cents worth!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
I don't get it.
Does it REALLY matter that much what CNET or other users rate the phone?

I read CNET's review. I didn't see that much wrong with it. I also read some of the user reviews... there are some that were definitely too harsh with it ... but plenty others (probably from here) that were definitely too over enthusiastic with it. It's called an OPINION. Whether we agree with them or not... it's still an opinion. It's NOT an issue of fairness.

Besides, does it really matter that much that we have to "PROVE" something to the CNET editors?

Just enjoy the phone and DON'T WORRY what other people think.
i totally agree that at this point its silly and futile. so what the Pro got 3.5 stars and the iphone got 4. the BB Bold got 4 stars too, so are they BB fanboys now too? What about all the other WM devices that only got 3.5? 1/2 a star, in a totally subjective scoring be it, on cnet and people are blowing a nut like this is the end of WM as we know it. Who cares? Are you going to go to every single tech website and write positive reviews or are you going to get off the computer live your life and actually enjoy your device purchase? Honestly its silly and futile and wont stop people from making a choice in phone that they want

This wont swing economic stature either thats a silly response too and you know it. Its cnet, its not the majority of people or the major source of information. TV commercials are still the number ONE source of false advertising for electronic devices to sway a customer. If Cnet accounted for .01% of swing decisions by customers id be shocked it was so high

People will buy what they want based on their needs, and a very small percent of wireless consumers read cnet, and fewer base their purchase off of the reviews or user reviews.

If you want to email cnet and point out there errors thats one thing, but to play a childish game of who can post more positive user reviews is immature and playing right into that immature iphone group you people keep pointing out how rediculous they are. youre acting EXACTLY the same now responding to it.

Quote:
News sites used to adhere to a standard of professionalism and reported facts objectively, not subjectively. It should STILL be that way. I don't care that people have different opinions, but I do care that those opinions are educated versus biased.
REALLY? Fox News and Republican ring a bell? So what is "trusted" then? Every news source is entitled to their opinion no matter what it is- First Amendment. Simply deal with it and hope that people are the educated ones to know the difference, if theyre not there nothing you can personally do.

Quote:
Biased reporting also has a nasty economic consequence. When people are flocking to one product religiously, the prices of that product go up with the demand, good old econ 101. Well, when the competition isn't able to sell as many due to the bias against their products, so they also have no motivation to lower cost (they have to recoup their losses somehow), so they sell a good product at a high price and wonder why they're not selling.
as i said above total BS, the iphone has cause other device prices to FALL to match and be competitive- BB Storm, Instinct, etc all prices at 199 to match up against iphone 3g. PPC's are NEVER and have never been priced cheap to the avg consumer, totally different target audience and pricing scheme

P.S i hope you actually got mods permission to make the exact same thread again and didnt undercut a mod's decision to move it to go and make a new one.

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 11-15-2008 at 04:29 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro