PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800 running 6.5
Carrier: Verizon

kman13 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Do we have any VERIZON touch pro users that can give review?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: sprint

gomyway is just getting started

Got it for one week and love it. Comparing to HTC Mogul: 640x480 screen is a huge improvement, CPU/Mem second improvement. TouchFlo 3D impressive, overall look and feel better.

Feature request: in stock stable backup software is missing. weekday and batter meter in percentage is missing on TouchFlo 3D home page. Official Eastern language Font package for display webpages and input (1/3 of Families in US don't speak English at home, is it true? )
Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PRO

mrspeedmaster is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman13 View Post
Do we have any VERIZON touch pro users that can give review?
VZW user here.

I used this along with my iPhone 3G.
This phone is worked issued so it replaced a Motorola Q and a VX6700. I REALLY like the pull out keyboard on the VX6700. It was a temp phone when I lost my Q.
So when my employer asked for a replacement phone, I immediately picked the Touch pro over the Diamond and HD.

Overall, I am impressed despite the VZW neutering of the iphone.
My experience would not have been so great without the folks here and xda-developers.
I got GPS working, Youtube client installed, Tethering via Wifi and Bluetooth. The only complaint I have is no
Cisco VPN. I have it running with 16GB SDHC.

A few comments:
1. Best WinMo phone I've used so far.
2. Screen is a bit small because I am so used to my iPhone. Touch tapping really doesn't work for me. I still have to pull out the stylus and keyboard.
3. VZW network is awesome. It is faster than AT&T 3G.
4. Battery life really sucks. I thought the Moto Q was bad but this is worst. Fortunately, a mini USB is everywhere. In my car, on my desk, next to my bed, in my bathroom, etc. Charging is no problem.
5. Colors are really washed out on the LCD. There is no color profiles or color management. The same photos on my iPhone, Macbook, laptop, picture photoframe has more color and saturation.

A few negatives.
This is much slower than my Dell Axim x51v with a flashed wm 6.1 rom. Much slower in everything except video. I may have to flash my HTC TP to see if there is any noticeable difference.
Opera on the Dell Axim x51v (4 yeaar old device) is blazingly faster. Clicks are more responsive, file manager is faster, etc...

I look forward to using the TV-out on my HTC Touch pro. I love iGo8 and I want to replace my car's built in navigation with my phone and tv-out cables.

As a phone, the phone itself kinda suck. I use my HTC Touch as a data device (tethering my laptop, web access) and only as an emergency phone.
Phone calls are clear but the overall UI and way the phone is implemented sucks. When my skin touches the LCD, the phone starts dialing or doing something weird.
I've trained myself to keep a distance between my face and the phone. The onscreen keyboard is too small. The phone buttons sometimes need a hard press if I have a lot of apps running.
The likelihood of accidental screen tap is why I like the slide lock-unlock of the iphone.

As for iphone vs touch pro. I use them both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The phone, ipod, and safari web browser is leaps better on the iphone.

I carry both but I tend to use TP more because I like to fiddle around; installing new cab files, tweaks, etc. I like to see what files work or don't work with
core player, kinoma, etc. For example, I downloaded a bunch of youtube files in HD mp4 and wasted a good work afternoon with it. So I know know certain .flv like ON64 works with Kinoma but not with CorePlayer. CorePlayer doesn't support larger h.264 files, etc....

On the iphone, everything just works. That may be indicative of why some prefer the iphone. Give me a Cisco VPN and multi-touch and I can easily dump the iPhone.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

Tach is a n00b

Just got my Pro today after Sprint ran out of Moguls. There are a couple things that are taking a bit to get used to.

Summary.
Tickled pink I've got it, needs getting used to. I guess I can accept their logic with how most things are layed out and organized, even if I would do it differently. The SD card slot was the only major disappointment

PROS.
Sleek design, awesome screen, sexy theme/GUI, nice pointer stylus (the palm Treo 800w was terrible). Decent camera, works for a phone. A screen keyboard that works if you can't/won't use the hard keyboard.

CONS.
Internal SD card slot that's annoying to get to. Big no no, for someone who relies on the SD card for data transfers (i use a linux box w/out active sync) it's a pain. The lack of a scroll button, "OK" button are my main complaints. Going to be touching the screen a lot more, smudging it a lot more and cleaning it a lot more.
Final complaint, redundancy between the GUI and WM OS. Seems like there are a lot of different places to go for the same thing. I.E. Settings or COM manager. Just seems to clutter up things, would be nice if there was a HTC tool allowing us to customize the UI and get rid of redundant or unnecessary items.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

michaelj1981 is just getting started

When I got the phone last month, 2 things i was the most happy about. My 6800 Broke on Christmas and as replacement sprint gave me the touch pro. Anyways the 3 major things i enjoyed the most..

1. Was the size and how it was nice to hold in my hand and talk on it without feeling i was holding a book.

2. Was the dial pad on the phone. It was nice to actually use my finger.

3. And having a IM application

The bad thing i do not like is the battery, I think it sucks. I always carry my charger around. Every night before i go to bed i have it charging and let it tell about 10:30 am and go to work, i do light texting maybe which is only a few sent out and received, anyways, i went to a friends after i got sent home early one day cuz it was slow, and went to a friends i did major texting i mean maybe like a few hundred within 4 hours and my batter was almost dead. Kinda sucked.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700 (Verizon HTC Apache)
Carrier: Only PPCGEEKS.com; I don't even pay monthly anymore.

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tach View Post
CONS.
[/B]Internal SD card slot that's annoying to get to. Big no no, for someone who relies on the SD card for data transfers (i use a linux box w/out active sync) it's a pain.
Have you tried to change it to a removable disk when plugged into a computer? I don't have the device yet, but I think that you can change the USB settings under the connections tab. Give it a try, or try to use WM5torage or a few other programs that are not freeware. Let us know how you get about. Also, I don't know Linux that well, or if the Disk Drive Mode is compatible with other OS'es other than Windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkirox_1 View Post
- Calendar doesn't keep my settings. I like the month view but it always goes to the appointment view.
I'm just curious, are you going into options and changing the start view? Just because you last used month/day view, it still goes back to the default view that is configured under settings.

Also for both people above, I recommend giving the freeware S2U a try. It has full-screen caller ID, and can help prevent the accidental dialing when on a call. Also, it has many other great features.
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketPcUser View Post

I'm just curious, are you going into options and changing the start view? Just because you last used month/day view, it still goes back to the default view that is configured under settings.
That doesn't work, this is a well documented problem.

There is a fix on XDA for it.

~John
Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

BTW, don't keep removing your SD card. Excessive removal/insertion can damage the leads and cause slower transfer rates

Just use USB disk mode.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hacker's log, supplemental...

Week two of Touch Pro indoctrination bootcamp going well.

SPL unlock, check

Flashed different radio so I can feel I am doing something that might help, check

Replaced TF3d with the HD one from xda (thanks fat boy!), check - funny, this one doesn't crash/restart all the time - makes me happy!

Various reg tweaks for speed, battery life (see essentials sticky, good work there!) - battery still horrible but I can deal, speed very good, most lags gone, phone rings now, and I can actually answer it - check!

Getting used to not having buttons for everything - check!

Getting used to new keyboard - love the extra row, hate the feel and smaller keys, but hey, can't have it both ways - check!

Opera tweaks done, learning to leave opera open (exclude it!) - browsing now only a little less good then on the ipod touch - check!

Tweaked out taskbar -found icon set that works for me, again nice! job there everyone, Check!

Like the phone a lot more - check!

Still think the average Joe would love this phone way more if it came out of the box all tweaked out. I am using WAY more ram then default and still have 80mb free. Phone flies with all this stuff loaded up in ram all the time. No need to close email, or opera ever, the two things I use 80% of the time....

Anyway, yeah, I'm getting there. This is one phone you have to work at if you've got history with the button-heavy mogul. I use it completely differently... takes several weeks to get comfortable with it, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by schettj; 02-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jaggrey is keeping up the good workjaggrey is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jaggrey

Where are these Opera tweaks that you speak of? Exclude it??

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro