mrspeedmaster
N00b

mrspeedmaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman13 View Post
Do we have any VERIZON touch pro users that can give review?
VZW user here.

I used this along with my iPhone 3G.
This phone is worked issued so it replaced a Motorola Q and a VX6700. I REALLY like the pull out keyboard on the VX6700. It was a temp phone when I lost my Q.
So when my employer asked for a replacement phone, I immediately picked the Touch pro over the Diamond and HD.

Overall, I am impressed despite the VZW neutering of the iphone.
My experience would not have been so great without the folks here and xda-developers.
I got GPS working, Youtube client installed, Tethering via Wifi and Bluetooth. The only complaint I have is no
Cisco VPN. I have it running with 16GB SDHC.

A few comments:
1. Best WinMo phone I've used so far.
2. Screen is a bit small because I am so used to my iPhone. Touch tapping really doesn't work for me. I still have to pull out the stylus and keyboard.
3. VZW network is awesome. It is faster than AT&T 3G.
4. Battery life really sucks. I thought the Moto Q was bad but this is worst. Fortunately, a mini USB is everywhere. In my car, on my desk, next to my bed, in my bathroom, etc. Charging is no problem.
5. Colors are really washed out on the LCD. There is no color profiles or color management. The same photos on my iPhone, Macbook, laptop, picture photoframe has more color and saturation.

A few negatives.
This is much slower than my Dell Axim x51v with a flashed wm 6.1 rom. Much slower in everything except video. I may have to flash my HTC TP to see if there is any noticeable difference.
Opera on the Dell Axim x51v (4 yeaar old device) is blazingly faster. Clicks are more responsive, file manager is faster, etc...

I look forward to using the TV-out on my HTC Touch pro. I love iGo8 and I want to replace my car's built in navigation with my phone and tv-out cables.

As a phone, the phone itself kinda suck. I use my HTC Touch as a data device (tethering my laptop, web access) and only as an emergency phone.
Phone calls are clear but the overall UI and way the phone is implemented sucks. When my skin touches the LCD, the phone starts dialing or doing something weird.
I've trained myself to keep a distance between my face and the phone. The onscreen keyboard is too small. The phone buttons sometimes need a hard press if I have a lot of apps running.
The likelihood of accidental screen tap is why I like the slide lock-unlock of the iphone.

As for iphone vs touch pro. I use them both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The phone, ipod, and safari web browser is leaps better on the iphone.

I carry both but I tend to use TP more because I like to fiddle around; installing new cab files, tweaks, etc. I like to see what files work or don't work with
core player, kinoma, etc. For example, I downloaded a bunch of youtube files in HD mp4 and wasted a good work afternoon with it. So I know know certain .flv like ON64 works with Kinoma but not with CorePlayer. CorePlayer doesn't support larger h.264 files, etc....

On the iphone, everything just works. That may be indicative of why some prefer the iphone. Give me a Cisco VPN and multi-touch and I can easily dump the iPhone.