PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: FM Radio FOR CDMA TP2 - NEED HELP FROM GSM ROM CHEFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
FM on CDMA will never work for the same reasons that CDMA users can't talk and surf at the same time. Regardless of the hardware being present or not, it isn't supported by the network. Thinking it's as easy as a regedit, software update or flipping a switch is a waste of energy. Do you really think a company would cripple a feature if they didn't have to, especially when their competitor (AT$T) offers it? Get real. If they could turn the FM radio on and charge CDMA users extra $ to do so, they would in a heartbeat.
As others have stated, this is completely false. The Diamond has FM Radio on CDMA, as does the Imagio, Droid X, and Droid Incredible. I'm sure there are other phones that have it as well. If you can't get FM Radio on CDMA, then how did they do it on those phones. Also, trying to compare it to talking and surfing at the same time is stupid, and how is it a network limitation? The last time I checked, FM Radio signals ran at a completely different MHz range than the cellular network, so there isn't any way the signals could interfere with one another, and FM Radio isn't picked up through your cell connection or antenna either.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by young0ne View Post
Thank you Just gave me a ideal about the bootloader. if anyone can find out if the htc imagio use the chipset as the tp2 and if it locked at HSPL maybe we can import the code to the bootloader to activate FM signal on tp2 chipset but they have to be the exact model.
Maybe I am way the "F" off but, maybe you can get a copy of the the GSM bootloader, find where the FM is turned on, and "copy" that to the CDMA version. I'm sure it's not as easy as that....but, it's an idea

I posted some info on my previous post, I needed to back them up with the facts....

Baseball season is almost over, it would be awsome to be able to walk around listening to the games on my phone...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 09-04-2010, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Here's another thought, assuming the post that I posted a quote on is correct, that HTC disabled it by the request of the carrier.

Now that Jailbreaking is legal, wouldn't it legal/OK for HTC to release a PRL/Rom update as a AS-IS rom to open this feature ? Also the fact that it's a disco'd phone (they are no longer selling it)

Anyone think of emailing/calling HTC now that this law has passed and asked the same question about the FM radio on the CDMA Touch pro 2 ?

If not, maybe we should, if everyone interested sends in a ticket for them, now that it should be ok for them to do it....maybe they will ?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
Sorry dude but this is completley wrong! The Imagio on Verizon has an FM radio enabled stock, no modding needed. The radio will most likely never work on our TP2s but it has nothing to do with a limitation of CDMA.
I was talking specifically about this phone. There must be a reason why Sprint disabled the FM radio on the TP2. I don't buy the explanation about trying to force customers to use their music service by preventing them from getting music for free. That would mean NO Sprint phone would have an FM radio and we know that isn't true. Besides, AT$T is notorious for doing that kind of crap, but the Tilt 2 FM radio is not disabled. I still say there must be some kind of conflict specific to the TP2 that forced Sprint to disable it. It makes no sense to disable a feature that could make a very enticing selling point unless they had no choice. My last 4 phones had FM radios in them and I won't buy one that doesn't. I listen to music a lot (I refuse to buy an iPod, so my phone is my only music device) and sometimes I just want to listen to the radio, and not always for music. And I agree that if anyone could have figured it out by now it would have been the folks at XDA. I have yet to see an issue they haven't been able to figure out and develop a fix for.=D>
Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Facts that I have found out, I am posting here because it seems people in the main thread are just people who gave up and refuse to think this could ever work.

I opened a ticket with HTC and have been hitting them up with questions about this subject (CDMA Verizon Touch Pro 2 FM radio)

1. The CDMA Phone is the same exact phone as the GSM version accept for the cellular antenna.

Quote from HTC "The hardware in your device is identical to that of the GSM sister with the difference of the Cellular antenna. "

2. The FM radio was disabled because CDMA carriers wanted it DISABLED, not because of a hardware related problem.

Quote from HTC "This feature was disabled on the device at the request of the carrier.

3. The FM tuner on CDMA versions are NOT disabled in a PRL or bootup command, they are disabled via Windows Mobile (not clear on at what point)

Quote from HTC "This is a modification to the Windows Mobile software. " and "The FM Radio is locked out of the Windows Mobile software on your device. "

My ticket is still open, just trying to get a little direction towards "where" it is shut off.

Change of method for people looking into this...Not bootup commands but, in Windows Mobile itself...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

More...

4. HTC locked out the FM tuner on CDMA models, false (very interesting).

Quote from HTC "Verizon made the modification of removing the FM radio to Windows Mobile."

5. Do they know how to do it ? Yep...but, will they tell us...Nope...

Quote from HTC "Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how to enable the FM radio as it requires modifying the device outside of the normal function and specification set by the carrier."

They do know and I bet it's documented someplace....I just wish we could get that info...

This 100% proves, the hardware is there, it just needs to be enabled, this clears up once and for all the hardware question....
Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
The CDMA Phone is the same exact phone as the GSM version accept for the cellular antenna.

Quote from HTC "The hardware in your device is identical to that of the GSM sister with the difference of the Cellular antenna. "
They're saying that the internals of the GSM version sold worldwide and the CDMA versions sold in the US are identical except for the antenna? Well, that alone tells you the person is feeding you a line of bullshit. There's no known CDMA circuitry in the GSM version. For that matter, there are different CDMA hardware versions. If the above statement were true, then CDMA ROM's wouldn't brick GSM devices and vice-versa, since a ROM doesn't have any way of knowing what antenna is installed (or even whether an antenna is installed). Every statement after this nonsensical one is highly questionable.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
This 100% proves, the hardware is there
You don't understand how proof works.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

and to add to the mix, don't the GSM versions have a front facing camera?

Not seen than on any CDMA TP2 yet.

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCFreak View Post
and to add to the mix, don't the GSM versions have a front facing camera?

Not seen than on any CDMA TP2 yet.
We have "100% proof" that it IS there. Maybe it's just not enabled in software so you're not able to see it?

A second, front-facing camera would be much more useful than an FM radio! Why aren't we bugging HTC to spill the beans about how to enable this on our Sprint phones?

(Before anyone complains that they looked at their phone and can't see a camera on the front, we have incontrovertible proof that the hardware is identical between the GSM and CDMA versions apart from the antenna. Therefore, there must be some simple software fix for the problem. If someone could check the registry on their GSM phone, I'm pretty sure I can make everyone's front camera appear by tomorrow.)

Last edited by mstevens; 09-08-2010 at 02:41 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2