PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341
has anyone ever thought why the fm radio is disabled on CDMA devices? hmm maybe because theres no point in having it. if there was then it wouldnt be disabled,it would be another thing to take up precious RAM and with the advent of slacker radio and the fact that so many FM radio stations now provide their streams online (and in digital audio) there really is no purpose in wasting time and effort in trying to get it to work. i would like to see it work for the ones who are crying about it not working but once again i and many others here and on xda just dont see the point.
Try working out at a gym some time. They broadcast the TV stations using FM radio. I would love to be able to tune in over A2DP.

That being said, Verizon left FM readio on the Imagio. They would much rather have people use FM radio than data which costs them money. I honestly think they left FM radio off our devices to cut costs. Even if the hardware were actually there, they still would have had to do testing, FCC certification, and whatever else.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™
Carrier: Sprint

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: FM Radio FOR CDMA TP2 - NEED HELP FROM GSM ROM CHEFS

this thread = FAIL

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_24 View Post
Any news on the CDMA Touch Pro 2 having radio? It would be a really nice feature to have, especially at night when listening to sports talk radio!
the answer is NO!!!!!! did you even read all the above posts especially mine?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos
this thread = FAIL
blame azteka, he's the one that bumped this dead thread back up.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post

Try working out at a gym some time. They broadcast the TV stations using FM radio. I would love to be able to tune in over A2DP.
if there were FM radio on our TP2s it wouldnt work through A2DP. ud need normal headphones to use it. and im sure u can go into a walgreens and buy a $5 AM/FM headset for ur workout kit and save ur TP2 battery.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
has anyone ever thought why the fm radio is disabled on CDMA devices?
Actually, that is quite clear - it's because the carriers that had it disabled want to sell data services so you end up paying to listen to streaming radio instead of listening to free radio OTA. It has nothing to do with quality. GSM owners say the FM radio is uselessly poor-quality, but GSM is more of a world market than CDMA and carriers have more competition in terms of devices since you can buy nearly anything you can pop a SIM in and use it.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Actually, that is quite clear - it's because the carriers that had it disabled want to sell data services so you end up paying to listen to streaming radio instead of listening to free radio OTA. It has nothing to do with quality. GSM owners say the FM radio is uselessly poor-quality, but GSM is more of a world market than CDMA and carriers have more competition in terms of devices since you can buy nearly anything you can pop a SIM in and use it.
not true,they do it because smartphones constantly transmit data,so they do it so ppl won't have to pay data overage charges.
also if that was true then some carriers here wouldn't be discouraging the use of streaming services. there's plenty of ways to compensate for the lack of FM Radio on the TP2, use them and stop whining.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
they do it because smartphones constantly transmit data
Since when is that true? Data transmission can easily be turned off.

Quote:
they do it so ppl won't have to pay data overage charges.
Oh, I'm pretty sure the carriers absolutely love data overage charges.

Quote:
if that was true then some carriers here wouldn't be discouraging the use of streaming services.
I think they discourage the use of streaming on unlimited data plans, since there's no money to be made and because THEY incur costs. I promise you they don't care about YOU incurring costs. They're in business to separate you from money. If you're not on an unlimited data plan and you're streaming, their stock price is going up.

The primary point, though, may not actually be streaming vs. FM radio. It's probably more to do with FM radio vs. selling you mp3 downloads from the Sprint Store. They most certainly do want to sell you lots and lots of music downloads, and free radio diminishes the need for those.

Quote:
there's plenty of ways to compensate for the lack of FM Radio on the TP2, use them and stop whining.
I don't have even the shadow of the tiniest interest in FM radio on my phone. I don't even use it in my car and can't imagine any real use for it on a phone.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned User

then why are u defending it so badly? and sprint is not the only company with a music store. if they really were doing that they would make it so we couldnt stream slacker radio and such.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
then why are u defending it so badly? and sprint is not the only company with a music store. if they really were doing that they would make it so we couldnt stream slacker radio and such.
Go back and read some of my earlier posts and see if you still think I'm defending the idea of an FM radio on a phone... I'm flabbergasted at the concept that you might believe this.

Think what you want. It would have been easier for the CDMA carriers just to leave well enough alone, yet they did actually disable the feature. You're never going to convince me they did so for any reason other than their bottom line. Verizon is famous for doing this on other devices and other features in the past. Sprint does this less, but their primary motivation is always going to be their profits rather than your experience.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2