PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: FM Radio FOR CDMA TP2 - NEED HELP FROM GSM ROM CHEFS

I appreciate the optimism but the FF camera thing aint happening man. Look at that picture of the gsm TP2. I dunno about anyone else but my verizon tp2 doesnt have that hole at the top. Despite that message from HTC there is obviously other hardware differences between the models. 3.5mm jack is an obvious one that comes to mind instantly, the GSM models dont have one. If you can find a "simple software fix" that can make a camera hole appear in the front of my phone I will buy you a steak dinner...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
We have "100% proof" that it IS there. Maybe it's just not enabled in software so you're not able to see it?

A second, front-facing camera would be much more useful than an FM radio! Why aren't we bugging HTC to spill the beans about how to enable this on our Sprint phones?

(Before anyone complains that they looked at their phone and can't see a camera on the front, we have incontrovertible proof that the hardware is identical between the GSM and CDMA versions apart from the antenna. Therefore, there must be some simple software fix for the problem. If someone could check the registry on their GSM phone, I'm pretty sure I can make everyone's front camera appear by tomorrow.)
Sorry, but, I would take the info from a the company who made the phone, over someone in a fourm. No one here has shown proof otherwise, in all the posts, and all the detail there is no 100% proof that is is not there. 2 other people (in the 30+ page thread) said the same thing.

As for the front facing camera, Pull apart your phone, check the system boards, I bet it's marked for it but, parts were removed as no US phones had the front facing camera.

That is a little different...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Wow. Just... wow.

Did nobody honestly get my sarcastically-made points that:

a) no matter what some support person said in an email, different models do have different hardware

2) simple software fixes are not always possible, especially for hardware problems

gamma) wanting something badly enough does not necessarily mean that it is possible

seriously?

If I had remembered the lack of a 3.5mm jack on the GSM models I surely would have insisted that this lack could be fixed in software because DavidinCT has "100% proof" that all models of Rhodium have identical hardware.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Sorry, but, I would take the info from a the company who made the phone, over someone in a fourm. No one here has shown proof otherwise, in all the posts, and all the detail there is no 100% proof that is is not there. 2 other people (in the 30+ page thread) said the same thing.

As for the front facing camera, Pull apart your phone, check the system boards, I bet it's marked for it but, parts were removed as no US phones had the front facing camera.

No, David, it's not different AT ALL. It's what is technically referred to as "exactly analagous" (or, less, technically "the same.")

Either the hardware is completely identical apart from the antenna (as you claim) or it's not. If it's identical, then perhaps there is an FM receiver that is fully-functional and merely disabled in software. Of course, if it's identical, there should be ... well... identical hardware on all models, including front cameras, 3.5mm audio jacks, and so on.

It is patently obvious merely from superficial inspection that there are very significant hardware differences among versions of Rhodium. Therefore, you are being excessively credulous in accepting the obviously incorrect assertion on the part of whomever at HTC dropped that load of BS on you that the hardware is identical between GSM and CDMA models. It's simply not identical. You heard nothing from a "company who made the phone." You heard from what's called a "person." People make errors, as did the person whom you swapped emails with.

The absence of a front camera on my Sprint phone does not constitute proof that it lacks a functioning FM receiver. It does constitute proof that the hardware is not identical between it and the GSM models that do have FM receivers.

Your claims that the balderdash communicated by some ninny at HTC is "proof" (of any degree, let alone "100%") shows a deep and potentially dangerous misunderstanding of what proof is and how to arrive at it.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: CDMA TP2
Carrier: TELUS

frankmyhtc is a n00b

Quote:

This is a picture of my telus cdma TP2 is this where the camera could be, or is this just another sensor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (185.0 KB, 37 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Let's put this to bed once and for all....Anyone one here working on Android for the TP2 ??

As, it claims it totally closes down Windows Mobile before running and has to load it's own drivers for Android. If someone gets the FM radio working on the GSM version (tilt2)then try the drivers on a CDMA version.

This would clear up...
1. If it is a Windows Mobile problem.
2. If it works at all ? (does it tune channels after this point, etc)
3. If it does not work or as others have claimed (no proof but, claims) they have got a CDMA version to tune stations but, never got Audio.

If it has ANYTHING to do with Windows Mobile, this should clear it up 100%....Does anyone agree ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
No, David, it's not different AT ALL. It's what is technically referred to as "exactly analagous" (or, less, technically "the same.")

Either the hardware is completely identical apart from the antenna (as you claim) or it's not. If it's identical, then perhaps there is an FM receiver that is fully-functional and merely disabled in software. Of course, if it's identical, there should be ... well... identical hardware on all models, including front cameras, 3.5mm audio jacks, and so on.
Being a system admin and working with PC parts from the 486 days (built a i3 the other day for a client) , yea, maybe a different model but, the difference between 5 different models are parts on the board, the boards are all the same, the firmware is too but, if a chip is not on the main board to enable a feature, then it does not work.

I would almost put money down, that the marks for the 3.5 headset is marked out on your board but, the headphone jack is not there so, it does not work. Same with the front camera, The board is made for it but, if you pull out the camera, the system does not see it and no driver is installed, so guess what ? No front camera...

HTC is not going to spend HUGE $$$ to make different system boards for everyone of the Touch Pro 2/Tilt 2 phones, they are all made the same, just some parts are left out from others to "eliminate" a feature. IF this is the way it's done, like most hardware is, then it's a very high chance that the FM tuner could work on the CDMA version, as if they left out the FM chipset, bluetooth or Wi-FI would not work.

Everyone has different things to say, HTC TOLD me that it's there, and should work but, also told me it's a change to WM that causes it. I go by what HTC said and confirmed other posts and I get flamed, insulted and everything else here.

No offence to anyone here but, who the F would you believe ? HTC (someone who makes your phone and chances are have layouts of the phone) or someone on a fourm who "MIGHT" have a clue on what they are saying. Does everyone believe everything they read on the internet ?

Also the fact that, both HTC and Verizon (someone said sprint too) can "enable" the FM radio on our phones. HTC said it could if it was approved by the carrier... That also would tell me that it's SOFTWARE, not hardware.

HTC or anyone is not going to say that if we had to "send" out phones in to get them serviced(AKA: Soder a chip on a micro board, or add a board) to enable this feature. They would Clearly say that it's impossable or not availible on our phones, in every case someone contacted HTC (the past ones as well as when I contacted them) they said they were disabled by the choice of the carrier.

So, who locked us out, the carriers, HTC or Microsoft (locking down the area so good that it can not be hacked to enable a disabled feature) ?

I still believe that the CDMA TP2 has the FM radio feature but, software disabled, Unless there is some hard truth to it not being there, there is no reason for me to think otherwise.

Is it just me ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-10-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:04 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmyhtc View Post
This is a picture of my telus cdma TP2 is this where the camera could be, or is this just another sensor
The front camera should be like in this picture, on the right hand side... Not offered in the US (still have no idea why)

Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: CDMA TP2
Carrier: TELUS

frankmyhtc is a n00b

Quote:
The front camera should be like in this picture, on the right hand side... Not offered in the US (still have no idea why)

Thanks.I had seen the camera on other phones . just wondering if maybe it was hidden under the other side on the Telus version. Do other carriers have this hole underneath the glass on the left side, like the Telus model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (185.0 KB, 6 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmyhtc View Post
Thanks.I had seen the camera on other phones . just wondering if maybe it was hidden under the other side on the Telus version. Do other carriers have this hole underneath the glass on the left side, like the Telus model?
thats the proximity sensor. all tp2's have that.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Everyone has different things to say, HTC TOLD me that it's there, and should work but, also told me it's a change to WM that causes it. I go by what HTC said and confirmed other posts and I get flamed, insulted and everything else here.

No offence to anyone here but, who the F would you believe ? HTC (someone who makes your phone and chances are have layouts of the phone) or someone on a fourm who "MIGHT" have a clue on what they are saying. Does everyone believe everything they read on the internet ?

Also the fact that, both HTC and Verizon (someone said sprint too) can "enable" the FM radio on our phones. HTC said it could if it was approved by the carrier... That also would tell me that it's SOFTWARE, not hardware.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the HTC rep told you this because A) it lets HTC off the hook for this feature not being present, and B) it sends you off to be a PITA with some other company's tech support?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2