PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

brando8912 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

any suggestions on what pc36img file to use when getting the "main version is older" error? I have the newest OTA update 1.47.651.1
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy2walgreens View Post
ok, so i tried following this...got that error some people were getting. so i did the 4 click root. which worked for me. went back to here to boot into recovery and flashed the new fresh rom. but now i cant seem to boot into the fastloader..when i try to flash the newer radio and wimax radio, it goes right into hboot. does any one know how i can boot into the fastloader by pressing the down button and the power button? much thanks
When you hold Vol Down and press the Power button that puts you into bootloader (could also call that hboot). From there you can select fastboot, recovery, clear storage, simlock, hboot usb. So when you say "fastloader" which option were you looking for? Did you mean you were trying to boot directly into Recovery? You cant do that via the Power and Vol Down buttons. You CAN do that (if your nand is unlocked) with the quickboot app or by selecting Reboot into Recovery in ROM Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando8912 View Post
any suggestions on what pc36img file to use when getting the "main version is older" error? I have the newest OTA update 1.47.651.1
Then you need to start at ****ROOTING AFTER OTA 1.47.651.1 (Full Root)****
Step 5.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Jspecrx7 is just getting started

Ok finally figured it out and finished rooting and flashing last night. Took a couple of hours but I got it done. For some odd reason the original SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition zip I downloaded wouldn't work, I couldn't even start step one. So I deleted all the associated files and downloaded the mirror version and it worked like a charm. Not sure what the problem was. I would like to know if anyone has an idea why the original didn't work.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC PRO 2/Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

jkln2007 is a n00b

hey buddy im having some problems with step 5H) when i typed it says "adb-windows" is not a recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. please help
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

danielt14 is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to danielt14

So Rom Manager works with ClockworkMod well i tried flashing through the NAND and now its Clockwork. Is that the same or different? What is Better? I liked the NAND. It was fun to show off to others. Any help thanks.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Ok finally figured it out and finished rooting and flashing last night. Took a couple of hours but I got it done. For some odd reason the original SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition zip I downloaded wouldn't work, I couldn't even start step one. So I deleted all the associated files and downloaded the mirror version and it worked like a charm. Not sure what the problem was. I would like to know if anyone has an idea why the original didn't work.
Just a guess but your first download was incomplete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkln2007 View Post
hey buddy im having some problems with step 5H) when i typed it says "adb-windows" is not a recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. please help
How is you phone connected? Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt14 View Post
So Rom Manager works with ClockworkMod well i tried flashing through the NAND and now its Clockwork. Is that the same or different? What is Better? I liked the NAND. It was fun to show off to others. Any help thanks.
So if I read you right, then you flashed Clockwork from within ROM Manager?
I think you have your terms a bit confused. The two common Recoveries are amon RA Recovery and ClockwordMod Recovery. They are essentially the same. Personally I prefer amon RA.
Nand is the backup that you do in amon RA Recovery. Clockwork does a backup too, again, essentially the same as amon.
If you want to switch back to amon RA Recovery scroll down to the bottom of ROM Manager and select Flash Alternate Recovery. You can select amon from there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Aloupha is keeping up the good workAloupha is keeping up the good work

I was having the same problem Js... had that you helped him with. I followed the link you posted to him (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915) and was successful.

Now my question is... do I need to do the SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 again?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I was having the same problem Js... had that you helped him with. I followed the link you posted to him (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915) and was successful.

Now my question is... do I need to do the SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 again?
No. If you flashed whitslacks files successfully you are done. You had to be rooted with your nand unlocked in order to be able to run his files in the first place.
Now that you have flashed them you are free to stay on his ROM or try out some others.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

just4kix is a n00b
OTA SimpleRoot

Please, I am new to android and rooting/flashing to this I|OS/device.
Can someone tell me if this is all I need to do to root http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565 my Evo? I've run this, tried to use the premium ROM Manager to install a custom ROM, ran ClockworkMod Recovery and received a message that an error occurred while attempting to run privileged command!
I've googled the error message and most post I've found refer to rooting my EVO. I thought I did that by performing the "OTA SimpleRoot". I just got the EVo on 7/24 and it already had the latest OTA update installed. I really don't know what my next step is. How can I tell if it is in fact rooted?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jus

Edit: I was able to use OTA SimpleRoot to get into boot recovery and was able to flash from there. Whew! There definitely is a learning curve with Andriod. I have to re learn everything it seems since coming from Winmo. Now I'm searching on how to install themes...

Last edited by just4kix; 07-25-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

oski is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to oski
Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

soooooo, i downloaded everything..............now what......i cant find .net..on my desktop and i have no idea what to do with ota zip.....

thx.....

HTC EVO 4G...3.26.651.6 OMJ EVO 2.2 Froyo v3.0

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos